Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2008 Draft Picks

Jimmmbobb

I'm not sure why we would be giving Denver the 4th rounder for the TJ Ducket trade as they received a high 3rd rounder this year. I believe it was either a high 3rd rounder or 3rd and 4th rounder as Denver was also expecting us to have a better year than we did.

On another thread, there are comments about management not using them. It will be interesting to see if they mortgage the future again. I was surprised that they did not use future picks. I am also surprised at the number of defensive tackles and ends that they have already signed to camp based on the roster on the website. Are any of the unknowns real prospects?

On another thread, there are comments about management not using them. It will be interesting to see if they mortgage the future again. I was surprised that they did not use future picks. I am also surprised at the number of defensive tackles and ends that they have already signed to camp based on the roster on the website. Are any of the unknowns real prospects?

They have 16 d-linemen on the roster right now...maybe three of them deserve to start lol...

I'm not sure why we would be giving Denver the 4th rounder for the TJ Ducket trade as they received a high 3rd rounder this year. I believe it was either a high 3rd rounder or 3rd and 4th rounder as Denver was also expecting us to have a better year than we did.

I haven't been able to definitively figure out what we gave up for Duckett. I found two links from Aug 23, 2006, but they differ in accounts of the trade.

Len Pasquarelli (Italian for "what do I know"?) seemed to think two picks were involved. No offense intended toward other persons with Italian sounding names. :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2558101

Jason La Canfora, had a report thinking only one pick (the 3rd) was involved.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/22/AR2006082201075.html

In further digging, I have not found anyone with a comprehensive list of teams' remaining draft picks for 2008. It would be foolish to think there aren't enough football nuts like us hanging around not to have that information posted somewhere...

All but our 4th rounder (From TJ Ducket Trade)

We still have our 4th. The trade was for a high 3rd and thats what we gave. It was originally reported that it could be a 3rd and a 4th if our 3rd was to low in the round.

Clayton had a break down of the trade at the time and the conditions for what the picks would be. Basically, it was a 3rd and 4th, with other formulas to make sure Denver got extra if the 3rd was low. They wasnted to make sure they got "High 3rd round value". Unfortunately there didn't seem to be any protections for the Skins in the case that the 3rd itslef ended up being high. In other words, Denver protected themsleves and we didn't. The only way it wouldn't be a 3rd and 4th was if Denver got something else to up the value.

Also, Gibbs made the comment this weekend that we still had "just about" all our picks for next year, which would seem to confirm that we have traded that pick.

Clayton had a break down of the trade at the time and the conditions for what the picks would be. Basically, it was a 3rd and 4th, with other formulas to make sure Denver got extra if the 3rd was low. They wasnted to make sure they got "High 3rd round value". Unfortunately there didn't seem to be any protections for the Skins in the case that the 3rd itslef ended up being high. In other words, Denver protected themsleves and we didn't. The only way it wouldn't be a 3rd and 4th was if Denver got something else to up the value.

Also, Gibbs made the comment this weekend that we still had "just about" all our picks for next year, which would seem to confirm that we have traded that pick.

It was supposed to work out to a high 3rd round pick, so that's where the 4 scenarios came into play. Both teams assumed that whatever the Skins did last season, whichever 1 of the 4 came into being, Denver would get the equivalent to a high 3rd. Neither team assumed the Skins would be bad as bad as they ended up, hence there was no scenario in which the Skins were to only give the Broncos a 3rd round pick. If the Skins had a better record than Denver or did not make the playoffs, they would owe Denver their 3rd and a future 4th. If the Skins had won the Super Bowl, Denver would have gotten pick #95 (since Cincy forfeited there's) and an '04. That wasn't going to equal the high 3rd Denver wanted, that was Denver's risk in the trade. The Skins' risk is what happened, picking in the Top 10 and still owing Denver a pick next year.

FWIW, both Denver papers still say the Skins' '08 4th is Denver's.

Sunday's Rky Mountain News:

The Broncos ended their first day of the draft by selecting Notre Dame tackle Ryan Harris with the sixth pick of the third round, 70th overall -- it was one of the two picks the Broncos received as part of the three-team trade involving Ashley Lelie last August.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5510553,00.html

Today's Denver Post:

While the Broncos dealt next year's third-round pick to Minnesota, they will have an extra fourth-round pick - from Washington, as part of the Ashley Lelie trade.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5788736

Archived