Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heard at the Park: Day 2 Interviews/Comments

Tarhog

Heard at the Park - 4/29/07 - Day Two Post-Draft Quotes

Click HERE to read about the Redskin's Day 2 Draft results

Click HERE to read today's introductory press conference comments by Laron Landry and Coach Joe Gibbs

Click HERE to read post-draft comments by LB Dallas Sartz

Click HERE to read post-draft comments by LB H.B. Blades

Click HERE to read final post-draft comments by Coach Joe Gibbs

:helmet:

I love these things. The comments from the LBs were encouraging. Blades is a real good guy, real hard worker, and a smart player, I think GW will really like him. I also like what I heard from Sartz. He knows he's going to have to play ST, and he's willing to get bigger.

I love these things. The comments from the LBs were encouraging. Blades is a real good guy, real hard worker, and a smart player, I think GW will really like him. I also like what I heard from Sartz. He knows he's going to have to play ST, and he's willing to get bigger.

Thanks - that makes the exhaustive 30-60 seconds it takes getting this stuff up for you guys worth all the trouble :laugh:

I think its cool we get this content directly from the team too. One of the real 'perks' - the regular media guys simply use these for a quote here in there to support their write-ups. We give you the whole thing.

I also liked hearing that Wade has become acclimated to playing at the guard position, and that the rest of his teammates seem to see him meshing well, too.

Of course, seeing Dock sign that huge contract probably whetted his appetite to play G, as well.

Featuring Marcus more in nickel packages? Is this the beginning of the end? No longer an every down player?

I want this guy in on EVERY package. He is the only high energy guy on our whole defense.

Blades sounds good on paper but I stand by my comments that none of these guys will be on the opening day roster. Landry will be the one toiling away in Special teams.

Still can't believe we didn't spend a single pick on the O-line.

Featuring Marcus more in nickel packages? Is this the beginning of the end? No longer an every down player?

I want this guy in on EVERY package. He is the only high energy guy on our whole defense.

Blades sounds good on paper but I stand by my comments that none of these guys will be on the opening day roster. Landry will be the one toiling away in Special teams.

Still can't believe we didn't spend a single pick on the O-line.

I read that more as saying that in the nickle sets we can expect to see Marcus being used more as a stand up DE rushing or on dogs if we are also playing a DE on his side. In the regular package I think you will still see him playing the SLB spot unless his hip is really not up to playing every down.

I disagree - I think both Blades and Sartz have really good shots to make the club just based on the numbers of guys on the roster at the linebacker spot. Both will see time on teams and be solid back ups. Blades could be our starting MLB in 2 or 3 years.

No it means he'll be on the field every down, but in passing situations he will be lined up as a defensive end rather than linebacker.

i was surprised we took palmer- why no defensive linemen??? I saw palmer play at UTEP a number of times, and I'm not sure he has the accuracy to make it at the next level, but an interesting project nontheless. Think he'll beat out anyone for the #3 qb position?

I think the 2 LB's could be a great pick-up

The Palmer pick does seem a little 'ify' But, i'm sure they've scouted and watched him. I've only seem him play once, and was a little inaccuarte imo., but the shoulder/ collarbone is what makes me nervous.

But, he's a late rounder so he's a maybe/ maybe not.

PLUS, you KNOW we'll bring in a bunch of FA's. Would love to see some of these guys from Hampton and some DIa and DII tryout.

i was surprised we took palmer- Think he'll beat out anyone for the #3 qb position?

there is no such thing as a qb competition. the desicion has already been made. we may not know if he is ps or #3, but we know hes a redskin.

This review pretty much says it all...

Dan if you are reading this please sell the team - you are the worst owner in sports today.

Washington Redskins 2007 NFL Draft Review

By Tony Moss, NFL Editor

(Sports Network) -

1 - LaRon Landry, S, LSU (6-2, 205); 5 - Dallas Sartz, OLB, USC (6-5, 235); 6 - H.B. Blades, LB, Pittsburgh (5-11, 236); 6 - Jordan Palmer, QB, UTEP (6-6, 231); 7 - Tyler Ecker, TE, Michigan (6-6, 246);

Analysis: Landry was considered by many to be the best defensive player in the draft, and his presence can only help a Redskins secondary that was laughably poor in its playmaking a year ago. Washington only had one pick in the first 142 of the draft, so there's little else that warrants serious evaluation. Sartz, Blades, and Ecker will make the team as special teams players, if at all, and Palmer, brother of Carson, is a project who will have to refine his skills for a season or two in NFL Europe.

Bottom Line: It is indisputable that the draft helped no team less than it did the Redskins.

Grade: D

I also liked the comments of the LB's, but talk is cheap and this isn't the first time that we've gotten decent draft picks and not have them pay off in the end. Hopefully these draft picks will give the defense the added boost that its needed. I'm still waiting to see.

Dan's a business man that doesn't seem to know enough about the game as maybe he should. But he is pretty good at what he does, considering we broke a record for attendance last year at the stadium even with a losing record.

Given that, I can garauntee that the decision to pick LL was not at all up to Dan, nor has any team decisions beyond what color the uniforms are and how much to charge someone to use the skins logo in public.

Remember that LL is not the only addition to the defense this off season. Our dline is not TERRIBLE...just not near the best. But given an experienced LB (london) to make some right calls, it may APPEAR as though we have a better D line this season.

What it comes down to is that the coaches and staff get paid a lot of $ for a reason. They know a lot. There is some tactic behind this, especially when there were two highly respectable dlinemen to chose from in the draft. I'm not saying to put trust in them to win a superbowl or anything, but people are too quick to say that we are a bunch of idiots for our pick. Don't you think that the whole entire team is aware of our horrible stats last year in pass rushing? turnovers? think about how much thought went into getting london and picking LL.

Again, I'm not saying that we are the smartest in the league, but have a little trust that the staff knows what they are doing.

Archived