WT: Johnson a perfect catch

bubba9497

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20070425-115803-6576r.htm

click link for full article

Johnson a perfect catch

By Ryan O'Halloran

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Published April 26, 2007

With the potential for off-the-field shenanigans, on-field incompetence and just plain bad luck, there are no sure things in the NFL Draft, never a player who receives the perfect grade on a team's draft board.

Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson is the closest thing this year to a sure thing.

He's that big (6-foot-5, 239 pounds), that fast (he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.38 seconds at the NFL Combine) and that productive (28 touchdowns in three seasons).

"Not many people have my size, speed and strength," Johnson said in February.

Johnson is expected to have an immediate impact regardless of where he's drafted, be it first to Oakland, second to Detroit or fourth to Tampa Bay. The Washington Redskins (at No. 6) would love to move into position to draft Johnson but are unlikely to have enough to offer to appease the Raiders or Lions.

"The difficulty in picking apart this kid's game is two-fold," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. "Number one, he didn't have a quarterback in three years. Secondly, you really can't find a hole. I can find a hole with just about every big-name wide receiver in the last five years -- too small, too big, wasn't quick enough, was quick enough but wasn't tough, etc.

"When you watch all of his tape, you go, 'Are you kidding me?' ... His ball skills are similar to Larry Fitzgerald, but Calvin has more separation speed. So then I said, 'He can't be a good blocker.' And he kills people in the run game. I'm amazed. I would love to give you a reason why he's going to fail, but I just don't see one."

Although Johnson appears to be a star-in-waiting, taking a receiver in the top 10 has been dicey. In the last seven drafts, 13 receivers have been top-10 picks.

The disasters: Charles Rogers (No. 2 in 2003), Peter Warrick (No. 4 in 2000), Travis Taylor (No. 10 in 2000) and David Terrell (No. 8 in 2001). Koren Robinson (No. 9 in 2001) is serving a drug suspension.

The wait-and-sees: The 2005 class -- Braylon Edwards (No. 3), Troy Williamson (No. 7) and Mike Williams (No. 10) -- along with Roy Williams and Reggie Williams, taken seventh and ninth, respectively, in 2004.

The stars: Larry Fitzgerald (No. 3 in 2004), Andre Johnson (No. 3 in 2003) and, to a lesser extent, Plaxico Burress (No. 8 in 2000).

"When I'm sitting around with other general managers and coaches, that's one of the topics that we talk about -- the success and failure of the receivers that come out," said Baltimore Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, who drafted Taylor. "If you take a junior wide receiver, you're taking a chance. We've had our failures with that. If you take a guy who has been there four years, then you've got a chance to maybe get a steal. I don't think there's a true formula with that."

"The difficulty in picking apart this kid's game is two-fold," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. "Number one, he didn't have a quarterback in three years. Secondly, you really can't find a hole. I can find a hole with just about every big-name wide receiver in the last five years -- too small, too big, wasn't quick enough, was quick enough but wasn't tough, etc.

"When you watch all of his tape, you go, 'Are you kidding me?' ... His ball skills are similar to Larry Fitzgerald, but Calvin has more separation speed. So then I said, 'He can't be a good blocker.' And he kills people in the run game. I'm amazed. I would love to give you a reason why he's going to fail, but I just don't see one."

There it is...all the 'CJ will be an absolute bust' people need to come up with something better other than their hunches!

There's no sure thing but dammit CJ has so much more potential at his position than any of the defenders in this draft...

Well then how about this. Having a player like CJ does nothing if your team cannot stop the run.

Case in point WVU vs Georgia Tech in the Gator Bowl

For those that think CJ will solve it.

Take a look at this.......

Slaton not effective but WV rebounds for Gator Bowl Win

Look at the stats Ga Tech and WVU ere even in 1st downs Ga tech had the edge in passing yards 326 to 131, but WVU amassed 311 yards rushing through Ga Techs defense. Johnsonad 9 Catches for 186 yards and 2 TDs and you know what? Ga Tech STILL lost the game. WVU barely had time of possession over Ga Tech 31:03 to 28:57 .

If you think there is no comparison i beg that there is. WVU's defense was weak against the pass that is true, but Ga Tech gave up 311 yards rushing 131 to the QB and 109 to WVU's fullback Owen Schmidt.

If you think this doesn't translate into what would happen to the redskins if they took Calvin Johnson Think again. Even if we did get similar stats with Ga Tech or even better, it will make no difference if our defensive front 7 are unable to stop the run and force the other team to punt. Now note that all the scoring was done with 5:57 left in the third quarter WVU basically sat on the lead and closed them out, but if you think Washington is going to be able to pass all day and let teams like Dallas, Phily and NY continue to run down Highway 57 and still win you are mistaken.

Yeah Ball is not Jason Campbell, yeah we got a better back then Ga Tech did, but even so, if our defense can't get the other team off the field, it won't matter how many times we run up and down the field, we will still end up with more L's than W's at seasons end.

Bottom line is if you cannot stop the run it doesn't matter how good your passing game is. Anyone remember a QB by the name of Dan Marion and a Team named the Dolphins, how awesome was their no huddle offense at the time? Oh but they lost to the 49ers right? hrms....

You have to be able to run the ball and defend against it or you will not win the superbowl.

That has to be an attitude sort of thing. He's so massive he should be just running them over.

I seem to remember some other pundit saying that he had problems getting off jams. Not getting off the jam itself, but getting up to full speed afterwards. They suggested he might need to be put in motion a lot to compensate if he was facing a cb big enough to hold him up at the line of scrimmage

I watched some game clips on youtube and in every one of the 15 or so highlights he went down after the first hit. I think he got past 1 guy 1 time, when the guy went for the ball and not CJ.

Next time you watch clips of him, see if he breaks tackles. Maybe it was a bad sequence they showed (even though it was a hype him video) and he does break tackles. I just did not see any in the 15 or so plays that were shown. /shrugs

Well then how about this. Having a player like CJ does nothing if your team cannot stop the run.

Case in point WVU vs Georgia Tech in the Gator Bowl

Bottom line is if you cannot stop the run it doesn't matter how good your passing game is. Anyone remember a QB by the name of Dan Marion and a Team named the Dolphins, how awesome was their no huddle offense at the time? Oh but they lost to the 49ers right? hrms....

You have to be able to run the ball and defend against it or you will not win the superbowl.

The most intelligent post I've read on this board concerning the question of whether or not to draft Calvin Johnson, if he's available. :applause:

Yeah I remember Dan Marino, am not sure making the case that the Dolphins MADE THE SUPER BOWL but lost it as an example of what a disaster it is to have a team that is driven by a dominant passing game but have other weaknesses. They were a perennial playoff team in Dan's prime. Remember their WRs Clayton and Duper and Nat Moore? When they lost that tandem they where never the same.

The way things are going with the team, I don't think too many of us would be next season "crap we made the Superbowl but we lost the big game, what a crappy season" or "playoffs again big deal, am tired of the playoffs we got to go all the way! "

I understand your point that you have to stop the run and there is more to it than just passing. (The 49ers who you mentioned by the way of course had Joe Montana and some electric receivers) However, having a strong passing game if anything seems to be one of the critical elements of a successful team.

IMO I think in a way using that example you help make the point for Calvin Johnson as opposed to shoot it down.

Yeah I remember Dan Marino, am not sure making the case that the Dolphins MADE THE SUPER BOWL but lost it as an example of what a disaster it is to have a team that is driven by a dominant passing game but have other weaknesses. They were a perennial playoff team in Dan's prime. Remember their WRs Clayton and Duper and Nat Moore? When they lost that tandem they where never the same.

The way things are going with the team, I don't think too many of us would be next season "crap we made the Superbowl but we lost the big game, what a crappy season" or "playoffs again big deal, am tired of the playoffs we got to go all the way! "

I understand your point that you have to stop the run and there is more to it than just passing. (The 49ers who you mentioned by the way of course had Joe Montana and some electric receivers) However, having a strong passing game if anything seems to be one of the critical elements of a successful team.

IMO I think in a way using that example you help make the point for Calvin Johnson as opposed to shoot it down.

Yeah its not a pefect analogy, but despite being perenial play off contenders, they never made it back to a SB did they? Do we want that here in washington? I would hope not.

49ers had a good defense to go with that finese passing attack, and they had a killer running game (Roger Craig anyone?) Its not a perfect analog. But my point is the same we were horrible against the run last year, if we don't fix that problem we won't be going back to the SB. Look what the addition of one player to indy's defense did for them when Sanders came back?

Exactly my point. Yeah having great offenses is good, but if you don't have D you won't have as high a likelihood of making it to the SB. Defense and offense both need to play at a high level if they want to make it there especially in this FA era.

Yeah its not a pefect analogy, but despite being perenial play off contenders, they never made it back to a SB did they? Do we want that here in washington? I would hope not. 49ers had a good defense to go with that finese passing attack, and they had a killer running game (Roger Craig anyone?) Its not a perfect analog. But my point is the same we were horrible against the run last year, if we don't fix that problem we won't be going back to the SB. Look what the addition of one player to indy's defense did for them when Sanders came back? Exactly my point. Yeah having great offenses is good, but if you don't have D you won't have as high a likelihood of making it to the SB. Defense and offense both need to play at a high level if they want to make it there especially in this FA era.

The 84 Bears with an OUTSTANDING D never repeated. They had a great RB in Payton and a so so QB post 84. As to the Dolphins JUST making the playoffs and appearing in the Super Bowl without winning it -- well, what have you seen from our team since our last Super Bowl appearance that would lend you to think that if we become a perennial playoff team, who makes the Superbowl and loses ala the Bears did last year -- that we would be dissapointed?

Are we really like the Colts now where we are so tired of just appearing in the playoffs every year and getting close with no cigar -- that now its Super bowl or bust? I can't speak for everyone but I can deal with being in the playoffs every year and becoming lets say like the Eagles or who the Colts where until this year.

As to the 49ers, you where talking about their RB being key. Well we have Clinton Portis so I guess we have that going for us, too.

Now this is all on the premise that you only have one draft as your chance to build a D, once you lose that opportunioty its over. I don't buy that, there will be others drafts, FA, etc.

Archived