Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which of these trade down scenarios do you like best?

morpheusmeyers

Merriweather may be one of the better hurricane players out there, but something in me screams that he is not the cover guy we think he is. I am totaly against taking anyone in the secondary with our 1st round pick, and I'll be honest take a look at his stats over his career. Brandon Meriweather

Those really aren't impressive stats especially when you consider tht IF meriweather is the best player of their D entering the draft that his numbers were down over 2006 that much. Plus the guy has character issues, we do not need a guy that is going to screw up our team chemistry.

Since we don't need a guy that will screw up our team chemistry then we should definitely get rid of Lloyd.

Maybe his stats were down due his suspension, and also the fact of how many times the ball was throw to his side. So the stats don't tell the whole story.

His charecter issues come the FIU fight that's one instance that I know of. If you have more let me know. I haven't heard of any off the field problems with guy and his coaches say that was out of character for him. That's not who he is.

Why not go secondary in the first round if we take NE's 2 first round picks? We can still grab a Dlineman.

trade with miami or minny and get branch and a 3rd rounder (we seem to have luck in the 3rd haha).

..., SF is projected to take branch and use him as a nose tackle. minny and miami both need QBs.

I was wondering when someone was going to bring this back up. From the sounds of it, Branch sounds better fitted to be a nose tackle. He sounds to me like a future tub of goo run stopper like Ted Washington. He's a better fit in the 3-4, which last I noticed, we're not using.

...buffalo is too far away because even though we'd get a 2nd rounder since i think they have 2, ...

I'm thinking with the Senility North running the show in Buffalo that this is a team our FO actually matches up pretty well against. They could be for us what we've been to Denver (that is to say, willing and gullible trade partners).

A poll might be best for this sort of thread. Personally, I'd like to trade down with Miami and pick up a 2nd rounder, draft Branch in the 1st and then do BPA at OG, DE, and safety.

My preference as well. Drop back to somewhere between #9-12, and hope to add Branch and a high enough second rounder to address a need at OG, Safety, or DE.

I like the Patriots deal but I think they might be exactly where they want to regarding position. I guess they could deal wth us to be in position to take Landry though.

That Pat's deal could potentially land us Meriweather or Chris Houston and possibly Harrell or perhaps even Branch. That would be freaking awesome I think.

I was wondering when someone was going to bring this back up. From the sounds of it, Branch sounds better fitted to be a nose tackle. He sounds to me like a future tub of goo run stopper like Ted Washington. He's a better fit in the 3-4, which last I noticed, we're not using.

Branch is *incredibly* athletic, and likely to stay that way for awhile. In fact, if you watch Branch, you see him routinely jumping over blockers going for his legs, incredibly quick lateral movement down the line of scrimmage for a guy 6'6" 330+, and a DL capable of tracking down QBs and RBs in pursuit. For all the talk of Okoye's "high motor", I frankly think Branch is a far, far superior overall athlete.

There's a reason Branch was a *punt returner and receiver in highschool* just a handful of years ago, despite already playing at 300 pounds (he also was an exceptional basketball and soccer player, which explains his fantastic footwork).

He's a John Henderson type if anything, not a Ted Washington. People read a single negative scouting report, and see his listed size, and assume he's a "tub of goo"... that's just resorting to the stereotype without doing the research.

I like the idea of a double trade down. Not with Minny though. I'd trade down with Miami grab their 2nd round and then trade down again with NE take their 24 and 28. Then take Meriweather with the 24 if still available then with the 28 take Grubbs Sears or best DLineman available then with 2nd we took from Miami take the best OG or DL available depending on who we take with the 28th. Then in the 5th take Walter Thomas.

The problem with replacing Minnie with Miami in the double trade down scenario is that New England wants Landry. Landry probably won't be there at #9. So New England would have no reason to do the deal. However if we trade down one slot with Minnesota (if Quinn is there @ #6), then Minnie takes Quinn and New England could still move up and nab Landry @ #7.

The double trade, while unlikely, is possible with Minnesota and New England if Quinn slips. It's really not possible with Miami and New England given Landry likely being gone by #9.

Since so many posters have expressed their desire for the Skins to trade down, I thought I'd throw out a few trade down scenarios to see which ones folks like more/less. Here goes...

Trade down with Miami (ditto Quinn). Then draft Okoye/Carriker/Branch @ #9 (assume Landry is gone) and aquire a 2nd rounder (hopefully not just a 3rd rounder).

Trade down with Buffalo (if Peterson is available @ #6). Then draft Carriker/Branch and aquire a 2nd rounder.

I like the above trade down scenarios because there's more sustance to them and something we can afford.

This guy Carriker is a beast. I like him.

For the record PorkSkins-- Jarvis Moss played at Florida not Miami.

Forget about Branch because if we trade down (depending on how far) he won't be there. Plus the matter of this stress fracture has not been completely confirmed or denied. So if we take him and he does have a stress freacture then we all will be complaining next year how we wasted a pick on him just so he can join the gang of inujured Dline. Then what will he be worth?

The problem with replacing Minnie with Miami in the double trade down scenario is that New England wants Landry. Landry probably won't be there at #9. So New England would have no reason to do the deal. However if we trade down one slot with Minnesota (if Quinn is there @ #6), then Minnie takes Quinn and New England could still move up and nab Landry @ #7.

The double trade, while unlikely, is possible with Minnesota and New England if Quinn slips. It's really not possible with Miami and New England given Landry likely being gone by #9.

Yea I just thought about that also. Then I was thinking who else would NE want if we did do a trade like that. Can't think of anyone. So yeah your 100% correct we should use Minny in that situation. If it were ever possible. :cheers:

wow, give up a the 6th rounder for a tiny DE with behavior problems and a WR we dont need. this is genius.

Yeah, it sounds familiar. Everyone keeps saying Okoye, size and possible drug user? Oh wait a minute, we want to draft CJ, the great! CJ only managed 2 catches fo 13 yards against UNC in a 7-0 win. The only problem with his stats - UNC had no secondary. He was really dominant against GA and Troy too, 2 catches, 13 yards, and 2 catches 9 yards. All for NO TD's.

Sorry but I'm not on either Okoye or CJ's bandwagon. IMO, we need a quality DE now. If we trade down, we may be stuck with someone that we don't need or want.

:2cents:

If it were possible, I like the trade down with New England and get Samuel and their pick in exchange. This would then give us more flexibility with our corners, say if they decide to move Springs to safety, and could also allow us to still draft a late first round safety like a Merriweather.

Since so many posters have expressed their desire for the Skins to trade down, I thought I'd throw out a few trade down scenarios to see which ones folks like more/less. Here goes...

Trade down with Minnesota (if Quinn is available @ #6). Then draft Landry/Okoye @ #7 and aquire a 3rd rounder (with outside chance of 2nd rounder).

Trade down with Miami (ditto Quinn). Then draft Okoye/Carriker/Branch @ #9 (assume Landry is gone) and aquire a 2nd rounder (hopefully not just a 3rd rounder).

Trade down with Buffalo (if Peterson is available @ #6). Then draft Carriker/Branch and aquire a 2nd rounder.

Trade down with New England (if Landry is available @ #6). Then draft any combination of Bowe/Merriweather/Grubbs/Harrell @ #24 & #28.

Trade down with New England (ditto Landry). Then aquire Asante Samuel and draft Merriweather/Bowe/Grubbs/Harrell etc. @ #28.

Trade down with Chicago. Then aquire Lance Briggs and draft BPA @ #31.

Someone mentioned a double trade down in an earlier thread, where we would trade down one slot with Minnesota (so they could nab Quinn) and adding an extra pick (likely a 3rd rounder). We would then trade down again with New Angland (so they could take Landry) and aquire their #24 & #28. Basically we turn our #6 into a #24, #28, and a 3rd rounder.

I like the double trade down possibility (though that's a lot of what iffs). I also like trading down with Minnie and then drafting Okoye/Landry while picking up an extra pick. We get the guy we want but aren't totally one and done on draft day 1. The other possibility I like is trading down with Miami/Buffalo and then taking Branch (the "fatty" that BLC has referred to) while aquiring an extra pick/picks.

Thoughts?

I really think that Quinn is going to fall to us at 6 and we're going to trade down with Miami. I just have a feeling that this will happen, plus it's the most feasible in my mind. That being said, I can also see us moving up to get CJ. :silly:

i like the idea of the double trade with minnie and new england. if we do that we could still get jarvis moss who could possibly be a sleeper and get another DL or an OL and then use the 3rd rounder on whatever linemen we didnt get with #28. i just hope we dont trade up and lose picks for next year.

I think that the ideal situation for us is to trade down with NE and get those two picks.

With the 24th pick i think we absolutely have to go with the BEST DLINEMEN available cause we need both DE AND DT. With the 28th pick we have a lot of luxury of taking a nice WR or a nice safety or trading down further to pick up like a 3rd and 4th rounder or a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

Either way i would love if we came away with a carricker with the 24th and the best safety available at the 28th. In the end though i really wanna see a big reciever drafted in the later rounds of the draft cause that is the 3rd biggest need.

Let me toss out the most idealized trade down possibility that is stretched as far as I could stretch it. Would any of you prefer this to the #6 or just trading down with Miami (and by the way John Clayton thinks Alan Branch could fall as far to at least 18 to Cinci or 21 to Denver):

Scenario #1: Brady Quinn is available

If Brady Quinn is available, Washington trades the #6 [1600] with Miami to #9 [1350] and gets Miami's other 2nd round pick #60 [300] overall.

To get Okeye, Denver trades up to #9 [1350] in exchange for their 1st round pick #21 [800] and their 2nd round pick #56 [340] and one of their third round picks #70 [240] or #86 [160]. Let's say it's #86 [160].

To get Ted Ginn Jr./, New England trades up to the 21st [800] overall pick in exchange for their 24th [740] overall first round pick and 4th round pick #127th [45] overall. Dallas and KC in the next two spots may very well take wide receivers.

To get Aaron Ross/Greg Olsen--though Greg could be long gone, Detroit trades up the 24th overall pick [800] in exchange for the 2nd and 3rd round picks they received from Tampa Bay #36 [540] and #68 [250] overall. This assumes that Detroit traded with TB in swapping the 2nd and 4th overall picks. Tampa Bay would also give Detroit at least their 2nd round and 3rd round picks.

Washington is left with the following additional picks with a total value of 1635 versus 1600 of the 6th overall pick:

2nd round picks

#36 [540] (Tampa Bay's pick from Detroit) Anthony Gonzalez or Michael Griffin or Charles Johnson

#56 [340] (from Denver) LaMarr Woodley

#60 [300] (from Miami) Justin Blalock

3rd round picks

#68 [250] (Tampa Bay's pick from Detroit) Daymeion Hughes

#86 [160] (from Denver) Quentin Moses

4th round picks

#127 [45] (from New England) Brandon Mebane

Of course I wanna trade up and get CJ, but if we don't do that, my second dream scenario would be to trade with NE (6th and Springs) for Samuel, a first rounder (use on Bowe) and a late round pick.

My second "realistic" thing to do would be to either trade down 1 spot and get Landry or trade down further to get Bowe and a 2nd rounder to use on Tank Tyler or someone like that.

Archived