Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pass Rush or Run Defense

skinsn24

Stopping the run is more important than pass rush.

With a stout run defense and dominant DT's, the rush comes easier. It definately doesnt work the other way around.

Precisely. If we can get someone who can consistently get double-teams, that opens it up for another, be it a DE or LB...or blitzing DB for that matter, to get to the QB.

just to add to the conversation, JLC just updated his blog and talked about okoye being his pick. i already posted this over there, but thought i would repost here since i end up trying to make a case for alan branch.

from jlc blog:

i've gone around and around on this and i would be ok with okoye. i've been all over the place... landry, anderson, carriker... but now that it's draft week i'm pretty settled on a DT who can make everyone around him better. that way i think we get the most value for the pick.

i do, however, think branch would be better than okoye and here's why. okoye is in the griff/golston mold of a high motor guy who can get to the passer. when you put two guys like that in the middle, you get run all over like the skins last year. i think we need a guy to complement griff/golston, someone who can eat up a couple of blockers to open holes for everyone else and give the LBs some protection.

therefore, i think we have to look at trading down and picking branch over okoye. while okoye may end up being a replacement for griff down the line, i'd rather take someone who can help the line now.

i say no to adams and anderson - we have carter to rush. rather than put someone else on the other side or middle, and hope they can get to the QB instead of carter, why not help carter do what he does best by occupying multiple blockers?

okoye or landry would be great, but i think i've got to push for branch (someone i would not have even considered a few weeks ago).

exactly. you cant have two one gap tackles in there, its just bad news, as we saw last year. and the sad part is, golston would probably be friggin sick if he had a two gapper next to him. that kid plays with a good motor and actually got into the backfield a good amount last year. and even if he gets pushed around a little bit, a hog like branch will not. we gotta take branch, he upgrades the entire defense.

I wish Alan Branch didnt have shin splints. He seems to be a perfect run stuffer

There's no evidense that Branch has shin splints. Where are you and others getting this information from, surely not the sports journalist.

Give me a link, please.

I think our LBs had more trouble with the run than the DL. Holdman was doing good if he ever got a look at a running back much less a tackle and Marshal just isnt big or physical enough for the middle so I really think we have taken some good measures to upgrade our run defense. I also think Carter was coming on towards the end of last season rushing the passer but we could use help at LDE and a new big run stuffing tackle is always nice.

The problem is that none of the DL prospects separate themselves from the group and are worth the 6th pick in the draft. If we could trade back 8-12 spots or so, pick up some extra picks and take which ever top DL prospect is left then it could be good value for the pick depending on the trade. But right now, I just cant see taking DL with the 6th pick. It just doesnt make sense nor is it good value.

we have good enough players to stop the run we need to worry about pass rush to help or DBs out, cause its one thing not being able to stop the run but not being able to stop the run or the pass is horrible

williams likes blitzing DBs/LBs, which is what rocky is gonna do, as well as taylor/rogers/smoot. we need to stop the run first, or the exotic blitz stuff is worthless. branch stuffs the LOS, and opens up the rest of our defense. we NEED this guy.

williams likes blitzing DBs/LBs, which is what rocky is gonna do, as well as taylor/rogers/smoot. we need to stop the run first, or the exotic blitz stuff is worthless. branch stuffs the LOS, and opens up the rest of our defense. we NEED this guy.

thank you sir :applause:

i wish more people would get this. we don't need a DE, we don't need a SS, and we sure as hell don't need CJ. what we need is a huge DT. plain and simple.

There's no evidense that Branch has shin splints. Where are you and others getting this information from, surely not the sports journalist.

Give me a link, please.

Real quickly from the thread "the case FOR Alan Branch"

Here is what is agent said:

“We can’t comment on it because we don’t know anything about it,” says Dogra, who admits that Branch did have shin splints (considered common for larger linemen) while at Michigan, but that they never kept him off the field. “Could he play if both of his legs were fractured? It all just doesn’t make sense to me.”

Not sure what to think, but that was not a true denial.

we have good enough players to stop the run we need to worry about pass rush to help or DBs out, cause its one thing not being able to stop the run but not being able to stop the run or the pass is horrible
:doh: Did you read my OP? We ranked what 27th in total yards agaisnt on the ground and 25th in yards per carry against? Yea our players did a great job last year, so hopefully they will keep it up

Who said Carter is a pass rushing DE? 4.5 sacks in 2005 and 6 sacks in 2006 does not make him any type of real threat. He has only had one year with double digit sack numbers out of a 7 year career. Therefore, IMO we should be looking at a pass rushing DE. We already have several potential young DT's in Goldston, Montgomery, and Boschetti.

I think our LBs had more trouble with the run than the DL. Holdman was doing good if he ever got a look at a running back much less a tackle and Marshal just isnt big or physical enough for the middle so I really think we have taken some good measures to upgrade our run defense. I also think Carter was coming on towards the end of last season rushing the passer but we could use help at LDE and a new big run stuffing tackle is always nice.

The problem is that none of the DL prospects separate themselves from the group and are worth the 6th pick in the draft. If we could trade back 8-12 spots or so, pick up some extra picks and take which ever top DL prospect is left then it could be good value for the pick depending on the trade. But right now, I just cant see taking DL with the 6th pick. It just doesnt make sense nor is it good value.

I think your point about the LBs is valid. They didn't tackle and they got run over. The DTs are supposed to stuff the middle but there are also the other sides that teams can run on, and did. It is kind of hard to blame a DT when a team runs to the side and the LBs completely miss the tackles or are completely out of position. It isn't like every one of the runs against us was up the gut. If that were true we wouldn't have any ammo to use to bash Highway 57. I understand both sides of the debate, but I think I would prefer to pick up a big, quick DE like Anderson or Carriker who could rush the QB and stop the run. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a big body in the middle, but that I'd rather try to pick that up in a later round since it is a 1 job position. I'd rather get a guy who could do both things in the first round. Maybe not with the 6th pick, but my ideal scenario would be to trade down a few spots, pick up Anderson or Carriker (obviously you can tell who I prefer :) ) and a 2nd or 3rd and look for a big boy there who could clog up the middle.

:2cents:

I think your point about the LBs is valid. They didn't tackle and they got run over. The DTs are supposed to stuff the middle but there are also the other sides that teams can run on, and did. It is kind of hard to blame a DT when a team runs to the side and the LBs completely miss the tackles or are completely out of position. It isn't like every one of the runs against us was up the gut. If that were true we wouldn't have any ammo to use to bash Highway 57. I understand both sides of the debate, but I think I would prefer to pick up a big, quick DE like Anderson or Carriker who could rush the QB and stop the run. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a big body in the middle, but that I'd rather try to pick that up in a later round since it is a 1 job position. I'd rather get a guy who could do both things in the first round. Maybe not with the 6th pick, but my ideal scenario would be to trade down a few spots, pick up Anderson or Carriker (obviously you can tell who I prefer :) ) and a 2nd or 3rd and look for a big boy there who could clog up the middle.

:2cents:

Nice well tought out post. I am in the DT fan club but i wouldnt mind anderson, where do you see him getting drafted?

Nice well tought out post. I am in the DT fan club but i wouldnt mind anderson, where do you see him getting drafted?

You know, that is really hard to tell right now. He is in various spots on different draft boards. I've seen him as high as being in the top 5 and as low as the 20s. I doubt either of these, but the majority of the large number of mock draft sites and boards out there seem to have him between 6 or 7 and the early teens. Carriker seems to generally be anchored in the upper or mid teens. If we wanted to land Anderson we wouldn't want to trade down too far for fear of someone else nabbing him. I think if Quinn fell to us we could trade with Miami and pick him up at 9, unless we were able to get Minny and Miami to start a bidding war for Quinn at 6...that would be ideal because either way we would come out on top. There are, of course, multiple scenarios that all depend on who falls to us and who the FO really has their sights set on (which absolutely nobody knows at this point). If we traded down further into the teens we probably wouldn't get Anderson but we could still pick up Carriker. I prefer Anderson, but Carriker is a solid player and I wouldn't complain if we got a couple extra picks for it.

Stuffing the run, sets up longer second and third down attempts, which helps the pass rush. With that said, I still think we have seriously addressed this need. Andre Carter came on strong the last half of the season, griffin is a monster, and i feel like we can still pick up some good young talent and coach them up.

We just picked up L.Fletcher and we will have McIntosh/Marshall playing in highway 57's spot.

Let's draft LaRon Landry.

You know, that is really hard to tell right now. He is in various spots on different draft boards. I've seen him as high as being in the top 5 and as low as the 20s. I doubt either of these, but the majority of the large number of mock draft sites and boards out there seem to have him between 6 or 7 and the early teens. Carriker seems to generally be anchored in the upper or mid teens. If we wanted to land Anderson we wouldn't want to trade down too far for fear of someone else nabbing him. I think if Quinn fell to us we could trade with Miami and pick him up at 9, unless we were able to get Minny and Miami to start a bidding war for Quinn at 6...that would be ideal because either way we would come out on top. There are, of course, multiple scenarios that all depend on who falls to us and who the FO really has their sights set on (which absolutely nobody knows at this point). If we traded down further into the teens we probably wouldn't get Anderson but we could still pick up Carriker. I prefer Anderson, but Carriker is a solid player and I wouldn't complain if we got a couple extra picks for it.
Yea this is pretty much what i am seeing too with Branch Possible at DT anywhere from 10-20. I would love to somehow land one of these guys after trading down and get an extra pick to get a guy like Meriweather to add another legit starter (maybe not right away but soon enough) to the saftey position.

Archived