Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pass Rush or Run Defense

skinsn24

My first new thread in a while, as I am always weary of getting a NNT for not explaining the difference in a new thread vs an old one.

I am wondering, what do you guys think is more important to address in the draft / what is the bigger problem:

1. Our Run defense (where a BIG Run Stuffing, people eating DT would help)

or

2. Our Pass Rush (where a smaller Pass rushing DT or DE would help)

Both areas were huge problems last year. Obviously Griffen and Carter are 2 starters set in stone. The other DT (Golston) and other DE (Daniels/Wynn) spots are really up for grabs based on the draft / training camp.

I am not trying to create another repetiive draft thread, but instead discuss which area on the team is MORE of a problem and then how do we address it.

Here are some quick stats in each area:

Run Defense:

The team Ranked 27th in yards (2197) and 25th in YPA (4.5)

However the team only gave up 9 touchdowns on the groud, which ranked 4th...

Pass Rush: Ranked Dead Last with only 19 sacks.

Pass D: Ranked 19th in yards (3586) 30th in YPA (7.38) and 32nd in Tds (30)

Anyway, things to consider: Will adding a push rush help the run game? Will having a better Run D help the pass rush.

Which one helps the Pass D more?

and finally should we go with a pass rusher or run stuffer if we do draft Dline

None of those numbers look good except only 9 rushing touchdowns. But we need someone who can do both. Someone who can fill the gaps on running plays and shoot the gaps to get to the QB. And i havent really studied any of the draft prospects that much to know who would be the best. But we need a defensive beast, not Cj.(sorry i had to say it)

Run defense is what we need more. If we can get a big body in the D-Line that can stop the run, we will get better at pass rush. If our front four can stop the rush effectively, we will be able to free up our linebackers to pressure the QB and (potentially) get sacks.

Look at the Colts this past year. Dwight Freeney is an excellent pass-rusher. Yet he got a career-worst 5.5 sacks this year because they couldnt stuff the run. It wasnt because he sucked, its because he just couldnt get there. I would say the same is true for our DE's. I wouldnt mind an upgrade opposite Carter (or some youth for that matter), but DE is not the problem that it has been made out to be.

If you cant stuff the run, you cant pressure the QB with any consistancy/effectiveness.

Run defense is what we need more. If we can get a big body in the D-Line that can stop the run, we will get better at pass rush. If our front four can stop the rush effectively, we will be able to free up our linebackers to pressure the QB and (potentially) get sacks.

Look at the Colts this past year. Dwight Freeney is an excellent pass-rusher. Yet he got a career-worst 5.5 sacks this year because they couldnt stuff the run. It wasnt because he sucked, its because he just couldnt get there. I would say the same is true for our DE's. I wouldnt mind an upgrade opposite Carter (or some youth for that matter), but DE is not the problem that it has been made out to be.

If you cant stuff the run, you cant pressure the QB with any consistancy/effectiveness.

Nice post this is what i was looking for when i started this thread.

I like the "get a big guy in the middle to free up the ends" solution

I think Run D is always the primary concern. Gibbs has stated that Redskin football is running the ball and stoping the run. I was so high on Branch in the early stages of the offseason. A guy who can stuff the middle and occupy blockers. Keep guys off Fletcher and keep double teams away from AC. But with Branches stock dropping so far I would be ok with Adams or Okoye.

I think Run D is always the primary concern. Gibbs has stated that Redskin football is running the ball and stoping the run. I was so high on Branch in the early stages of the offseason. A guy who can stuff the middle and occupy blockers. Keep guys off Fletcher and keep double teams away from AC. But with Branches stock dropping so far I would be ok with Adams or Okoye.
I like the fact that Branch stock keeps dropping, makes a trade back and select branch scenerio sounds very good. I am just concered about his injuried shins.

we already have a pass rushing DE in carter, and run stopping DE in daniels (for now, he needs immediate upgrade after this season or during the season), we already have two pass rushing DTs in golston/griffin which is WHY our run D was so bad this year. you cant have to small DTs occupying the middle unless your linebacker corps consists of brian urlacher. we need a HUGE run stuffing DT to occupy two lineman. think about it.

branch takes up two guys or should.

golston/griffin have the ability to go single coverage and make tackles or get into the backfield.

daniels can just stop the run, we know hes not getting to the QB.

because branch occupys two lineman, now carter can get single teamed instead of double, freeing him up to look like he did at the end of the season.

last year our D had more issues than the dline, our LB couldnt tackle for beans, but the dline was constantly getting blown off the line and couple that with LBs missing tackles, its pretty sad. put a mammoth up in the front, youll see a huge difference. again i reference hali ngata, look how much he helped the ravens at 340LB. no reason branch cant be the same guy for us.

and also remember the blitzes wiliams likes to use, he brings pressure from DBs/LBs. if we had a big fatty in the middle it would open up lanes for our LBs to make tackles/blitz like crazy (which i wouldnt be surprised to see rocky doing being that hes young/quick) and it would require more ol/te to block the dline, freeing up our DBs to do what they do in williams scheme.

again, ill say that look at who williams had in buffalo when he was so successful with his D. sam adams was his DT, at 350lbs. i hope some of you acknowledge that huge DTs make a huge impact.

The biggest questions for our defense are :

Was our run d so bad due to the front seven trying to help out the horrible secondary?

OR

Was our pass d so bad due to our horrible front seven not providing any pressure?

Our horrible statistics can be argued either way, and IMO it was a combination of both that made our d the 31st in the league. Hopefully our FO has a better idea than we do, and can try to upgrade the biggest weakness further in the draft.

It seems logical that after spending high 1st round picks on a safety, corner, and a 2nd round on a LB, that we'd use this one to add some youth to the line. However, we aren't always known for making the logical decisions. I just want the guy that will be the best fit for our system, which until last year has proven to be very effective. More important than anything else, I just want Saturday to get here so we can stop speculating.

we already have a pass rushing DE in carter, and run stopping DE in daniels (for now, he needs immediate upgrade after this season or during the season), we already have two pass rushing DTs in golston/griffin which is WHY our run D was so bad this year. you cant have to small DTs occupying the middle unless your linebacker corps consists of brian urlacher. we need a HUGE run stuffing DT to occupy two lineman. think about it.

branch takes up two guys or should.

golston/griffin have the ability to go single coverage and make tackles or get into the backfield.

daniels can just stop the run, we know hes not getting to the QB.

because branch occupys two lineman, now carter can get single teamed instead of double, freeing him up to look like he did at the end of the season.

last year our D had more issues than the dline, our LB couldnt tackle for beans, but the dline was constantly getting blown off the line and couple that with LBs missing tackles, its pretty sad. put a mammoth up in the front, youll see a huge difference. again i reference hali ngata, look how much he helped the ravens at 340LB. no reason branch cant be the same guy for us.

I am in your camp BLC and a trade down with an extra pick to add a guy like Meriweather would be really nice.

What do you think of Branches stress fracture things going on.

I am in your camp BLC and a trade down with an extra pick to add a guy like Meriweather would be really nice.

not to sure, its hard to tell because none of us have any real info on this. ive heard its shin splints which is normal for a dude his size, but if hes damaged goods, thats not good. we have to wait and see.

From what Ive seen, the stress fractures was a smear campaign. He may have shin splints, but Ive also heard that thats not uncommon for guys his size.

Another thing is if he has them, he had then when he played at Michigan. And he was a BEAST last year. So its not like he just developed them last week and all of a sudden he sucks. He was pretty much the anchor if the Michigan D-Line.

not to sure, its hard to tell because none of us have any real info on this. ive heard its shin splints which is normal for a dude his size, but if hes damaged goods, thats not good. we have to wait and see.
This is basically my opinion. I like the guy, watched almost all his games. I mean damn UM gave up 46 yards a game on the ground in the Big 10. That is incredible. He played 80% of the snap.

However, any injury that limits him or his speed is a major concern. I have heard the skins arent too hot on him, maybe a smoke screen, maybe they really dont like his injuries

bottom line though: dude was a beast in college

Krabber got me to thinking, I am not sure what we need. If you look at the early losses of the season, we were putting the opposing offenses in third and long quite a bit.

The problem I saw was we were giving up the big play too often. It seemed like our bend but don't break philosophy on defense was falling apart in the secondary when we would give up the the big play.

Then once these teams were able to get up on us, they would begin to run all over us. I believe part of it was the numerous 3 and outs the offense would give up and put our D back on the field too soon. I believe part of it was our secondary and I think the ultimate downfall was our pass rush not applying pressure to prevent that big play.

But as the season progressed, we were able to put more pressure on the QB and our D let teams run all over us, because by then they were all beaten up. So, what hole do we fill first?

Like I saw mentioned previously we need to address at least 2 of the three glaring needs. If Laron Landry turns out to be as good as he is hyped and we choose him, then that is a certain plus (less chance of the TE that killed us in big plays last year). If we go DT and stop the run putting teams in 3rd and long, can we stop the big play on 3rd and long. Or if we get pressure on the QB but give up 5 or 6 yards a carry on 1st and 2nd, where will that get us?

I strongly feel we need to find a trade partner and trade down to pick up more picks so we can fill more than just one of these holes. The only problem with that scenario is how many impact players are available with lower picks?

The more I think about it, the more it depresses me. I wish the draft would just get here already. AAaaaaggghhhh!!!!!!!

This is basically my opinion. I like the guy, watched almost all his games. I mean damn UM gave up 46 yards a game on the ground in the Big 10. That is incredible. He played 80% of the snap.

However, any injury that limits him or his speed is a major concern. I have heard the skins arent too hot on him, maybe a smoke screen, maybe they really dont like his injuries

bottom line though: dude was a beast in college

the stupid part is, if you read his breakdown on espn, hes rated like 95, and the one knock the scouts have on him is that hes got problems rushing the passer. his job isnt to rush the passer, his job is to be huge and make sure people dont run by him. why anyone cares if he can get to the QB is beyond me, thats the job of the 1 gap tackle, which we have two good ones right now.

Our secondary sucked last year. No doubt about it. But that is already on its way to being fixed. We have much better backups than we did last year at CB (aka- goodbye Wright and Rumph, hello Smoot and Macklin). Prioleau will (hopefully) back for the season at SS. Plus we got Omar Stoudmire back from the Saints. Neither of them are studs, but from what Ive seen, they do the job.

We fixed our LB situation as well. Highway 57 is gone and we have London Fletcher-Baker. We will be able to either put Marshall back at weak-side or start McIntosh there (Im guessing thats a training camp battle). And hopefully Marcus Washington will be in form after his surgery. We might not have the marquee LB corps, but we will have a solid one.

When it comes to the draft, Id like to see a big, people eating DT (Branch or someone like him) to hole up the D-Line. But at the same time, if we arent able to trade down and we dont feel like Branch is worthy of the #6 pick, I wouldnt mind seeing Landry in B&G either.

just to add to the conversation, JLC just updated his blog and talked about okoye being his pick. i already posted this over there, but thought i would repost here since i end up trying to make a case for alan branch.

from jlc blog:

i've gone around and around on this and i would be ok with okoye. i've been all over the place... landry, anderson, carriker... but now that it's draft week i'm pretty settled on a DT who can make everyone around him better. that way i think we get the most value for the pick.

i do, however, think branch would be better than okoye and here's why. okoye is in the griff/golston mold of a high motor guy who can get to the passer. when you put two guys like that in the middle, you get run all over like the skins last year. i think we need a guy to complement griff/golston, someone who can eat up a couple of blockers to open holes for everyone else and give the LBs some protection.

therefore, i think we have to look at trading down and picking branch over okoye. while okoye may end up being a replacement for griff down the line, i'd rather take someone who can help the line now.

i say no to adams and anderson - we have carter to rush. rather than put someone else on the other side or middle, and hope they can get to the QB instead of carter, why not help carter do what he does best by occupying multiple blockers?

okoye or landry would be great, but i think i've got to push for branch (someone i would not have even considered a few weeks ago).

Archived