Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Redskins Looking Up, Down, All Around

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/21/AR2007042101259.html

Redskins Looking Up, Down, All Around

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, April 22, 2007; Page E09

With less than one week remaining before the start of the NFL draft, the Washington Redskins continue to assess varied options related to their first-round pick, the sixth overall. Team management has spent the offseason in repeated trade talks, involving both players and the pick, and will be in contact with several clubs through next weekend's draft.

Myriad scenarios could unfold this week and on draft day, with the unpredictable Oakland Raiders and Detroit Lions holding the top two picks, making it difficult for the teams behind them to assess precisely how the opening round will unfold. Some NFL executives expect the Redskins to go down to the last minute Saturday before making a trade or selecting a player, as their odds of completing a swap would be boosted if some of the top available talent slips beyond the top five selections. Washington has been exploring ways to move up in the first round as well, with wide receiver Calvin Johnson coveted by many in the organization, including owner Daniel Snyder.

But many coaches and scouts within Redskins Park hope they opt to trade down, league sources said, as the club currently lacks a pick in the second, third or fourth round and must replenish its depth after a 5-11 campaign that exposed its thinness, particularly on defense. The Redskins have engaged in private workouts and visits with most of the top-rated players, with safety LaRon Landry (Louisiana State) and defensive tackle Amobi Okoye (Louisville) considered the two best defensive players available by several members of the Redskins organization, sources said.

Click on link for full article...

Trading up is the obvious scenario. However, that does not mean that would be the best for this team. You still need to make just decisions with your picks. I'd like to believe that we would but, the draft is a crapshoot. So, we shall see. I'd still like to get the additional picks because our chances of getting an impact defensive player would be increased. It's harder to screw up 3 picks then it is 1, ya know?

I love how the FO keeps everyone guessing as to what they're planning... I just hope its intentional...

As for which way they go-- up or down-- they each have significant benefits, and whatever they do (go up for CJ, down for depth, stay at 6 and take Okoye), I'm confident they'll (finally) make a good decision come draft day

I think (hope) we are saying the same thing. When I say trade down, I mean later in the round, yes?

Correct. That is what I mean. However, I tend to say the wrong things anyway.. LOL Trading out of the 6th and into something later like the mids to maybe even the 20's.. depends if we can get a load of picks.

Stay away from Branch...His play, condition, and health are all concerns....

The one thing that encouraged me about the artilce was the fact taht if we do get Landry, that we would still focus on the d-line before the season begins either through FA or trades....It would be a HUGE mistake to not address the line and it would come back to bite us....

Funny how a few weeks ago before the character assassination some of us were saying take Branch at 6 because we couldn't trade down even a few spots and still get him.

Now that seems a real possibility. Though truth be told I would be happy with a trade down involving getting Anderson (or Carriker if Anderson is gone) and a DT with the extra pick.

Bar shin splints (that any heavy athlete will have) there is nothing wrong with Branch except perception.

Some NFL executives expect the Redskins to go down to the last minute Saturday before making a trade or selecting a player.

Just remind them to get the official ticket/word in before the clock strikes 0! The LAST thing we need is a Minnisotta Vikings blunder where another team jumps to the podium ahead of us and then we lose the only first day pick we had!

If I were the Redskins, I'd have a guy standing right there with the commisioner on a cel phone or walky talky radio ready to recieve orders from Snyder, Gibbs, and company right down to the last minute just to be safe.

The one thing I have learned since Gibbs has returned reguarding the draft is to expect the unexpected. I can't even begin to fathom what we're going to do. The draft is just like blocking schemes, there some misdirection, and some on the spot improvisation. The fun part is, that most often theese days, we don't know till the actual announcment at the podium. It's like Christmas morning.

Youall can speculate till the cows come home. Me, I just sit back and wait through the off season to see who we take a chance on.

Jason covers all the guess work he's read here the last several weeks. We could go up. We could go down. We could take this guy, or that guy. If not Johnson, maybe someone else at receiver. Maybe another trade for established players. Essentially a summary of all the options available to us in one place :). I did get a kick out of the line about many scouts and coaches want to trade down, say league sources, not the scouts and coaches. It would almost seem being the beat reporter, he could just say "team sources" but, maybe I'm a dreamer.

Did anyone catch NFL Network's Top Ten Steals in the Draft? Watching Pittsburgh pass on Marino actually made me think that moving up for Russell might be the necessary move if JC's mechanics are not going to improve. Then I slapped myself and I'm okay now.

The mechanics he has to improve have little to do with his arm. It's his legs and hips. He actually does this better in the game than he does in warm ups or practice, but, still, he'll throw out his arm if he doesn't start focusing on the lower body part of his motion.

Post corrected. You can thank me later. Like week 17 later. ;)

hahaha... no I'm sticking with "wanting" Landry... then again, who knows what will happen? But, like someone else said, which I too read in the paper, sources were saying if we pick Landry that they'd try and address the line in free agency. I want Landry, but I've never said we don't need help at the line.

Gotta agree with Art here. Jason is not putting his body into his throws. When he gets this fixed, he's going to be scarey. When you use less arm strenth because you are using your entire body, you can put much better touch on the ball, with better overall control.

Did anyone catch NFL Network's Top Ten Steals in the Draft? Watching Pittsburgh pass on Marino actually made me think that moving up for Russell might be the necessary move if JC's mechanics are not going to improve. Then I slapped myself and I'm okay now.

I think Russell has bust potential. He has freakish skills, but he didn't become a definite first round pick until he whooped up on Notre Dame -- who had pretty much the worst defense in college football.

QB is a crapshoot. Campbell may or may not be a star, but based on the poise and football instincts he showed last year, I think he'll be in the league for a long time. In fact, I would bet that he's going to be a better qb than Russell or Quinn, who looked rattled in every big game I saw him play.

Archived