Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Countdown: Part 1 W times article

Skinsinparadise

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blogs/storyview.php?StoryID=20070417-045636-1492r&TopicsID=skins

Draft Countdown: Part I

By Ryan O'Halloran

April 17, 2007

Starting Monday in The Washington Times: Our week-long series previewing the April 28-29 NFL Draft. But beginning today and continuing for the rest of the week, I'll address different areas of the draft that have drawn my interest.

Today: Teams that will be major players on the draft's first day.

The Redskins will be a player ... in the draft's first 90 minutes. They have the sixth pick and all indications are they won't be able to get a deal that has enough value for them to trade down while acquiring an additional pick or two. This draft simply isn't full of top-end talents that have teams drooling and desperate to move into the top 10. Following their sixth overall pick, the Redskins aren't scheduled to select again until No. 143.

In between, six teams will play major roles in what happens with the opening 3-4 rounds.

1. Atlanta (three of the first 44 picks -- Nos. 8, 39 and 44)

The Falcons picked up a second-rounder from Houston in the Matt Schaub trade. Coach Bobby Petrino reportedly covets his former Louisville player, DT Amobi Okoye, although it's not a glaring need. This could help the Redskins if they're willing to move two spots down for, say, the 39th pick. The Falcons also need receiver help.

2. NY Jets (four of the first 89 picks -- Nos. 25, 59, 63 and 89)

The Jets have two second-round picks and like a lot of teams, need help at defensive end. Don't rule out the Jets packaging Nos. 25 and 59 to move up into the late teens to grab Georgia's Charles Johnson, Nebraska's Adam Carriker and Florida's Jarvis Moss.

3. Oakland (five of the first 100 picks -- Nos. 1, 33, 65, 99 and 100)

In addition to the first pick in each round, the Raiders have a compensatory selection. The Raiders are in great position. They hold the first overall pick and teams have no clue what they're going to do. An Internet rumor yesterday had Tampa Bay offering four picks -- Nos. 4, 35, 64 and 68 -- for the top pick. The Raiders should make that deal, which would give them an astonishing eight of the top 100 picks. That would also mean Oakland expects Daunte Culpepper to be released by Miami. Then again, the Raiders could stand pat at No. 1 and draft JaMarcus Russell or Calvin Johnson.

4. San Diego (four of the first 96 -- Nos. 30, 62, 93 and 96)

The Chargers have drafted well the last five years, selecting 10 starters and 11 back-ups. San Diego is the rare team that is only a few players away AND has some picks to work with. Don't rule out the Chargers dealing Nos. 30 and 62 to move up into the 20s to draft Miami S Brandon Meriweather or a receiver.

5. San Francisco (eight of the first 135 -- Nos. 11, 42, 76, 97, 104, 110, 124 and 135)

The 49ers have four of the first 97 picks after adding CB Nate Clements, S Michael Lewis, LB Tully Banta-Cain and WR Ashley Lelie, the second-worst starting receiver in the league last year after the Redskins' Brandon Lloyd. Texas CB Aaron Ross would be a great pick at No. 11 to play opposite Clements. After that, the 49ers are in prime position to slide up several spots in rounds 2-4 because of their myraid picks.

6. Tampa Bay (four of the first 68 -- Nos. 4, 35, 64 and 68)

The Buccaneers want Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson like the Washington Nationals want some warm weather. Desperately. I mentioned the reported offer to Oakland to move into the first spot. Oakland is the fly in the Bucs' ointment -- they know Detroit, Cleveland and Arizona probably won't take Johnson, but they can't take the gamble of merely moving up one or two spots because Johnson may go first to the Raiders.

you know how I feel after reading that?

jealous as hell, especially if Oakland gets 4 picks from Tampa

3. Oakland (five of the first 100 picks -- Nos. 1, 33, 65, 99 and 100)

four picks -- Nos. 4, 35, 64 and 68 --

4th overall, 33 overall, 35th overall, 64th overall, 65th overall, 68th overall, 99th overall, 100th overall

I think they should draft CJ, then try to squeeze some 08 picks out of tampa. Anything to make Tampa suck more.

Yeah I see Tampa possibly trading up as well. and if they do Skins won't be trading up for anybody.... I think Detroit would be shocked and take Russel, to sit a year behind kitna. Then Cleveland... not sure what they would do, but I think they'd take Thomas. If they don't they could go defense, (I just don't think Crennel is going to take Quinn, if detroit passed on russel in this scenario they might take Russel)

If Thomas is gone then arizona may draft best player available, That could Adams or Landry, but I honestly think Landry will be a leader in their secondary. The Cards D was not quite as bad last year as you might think, and with a year under his belt Arizona could afford to draft Landry.

That would leave Peterson, Adams, Okoye probably in our laps. If we can't trade down, W etake a Dline pick whichever is the bet fit for our team long term and see if we can't trade up into a third or 4th rd slot

http://www.washtimes.com/blogs/storyview.php?StoryID=20070418-012717-9297r&TopicsID=skins

Draft Countdown: Part II

By Ryan O'Halloran

April 18, 2007

Ten days before his version of Mardi Gras, ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. showed he was in tip-top form earlier today with a teleconference that lasted nearly two hours. And as usual, Mel delivered.

I'll be saving most of his comments for our draft stories next week, but here are some highlights.

* Kiper calls Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn and Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson the two "wild cards."

"Whoever doesn't go to Cleveland [at No. 3] will drop a bit because the Browns can't take them both," he said. "If Quinn doesn't go to Cleveland, he'll be there for Minnesota at No. 7 and do the Vikings take him even though they traded up last year to draft Tavaris Jackson? Sometimes a guy falling isn't a bad thing. Look at Ben Roethlisberger in 2004 and Matt Leinart last year."

* He said this year's first round talent isn't as good as last year's star-studded first round.

"There's not much difference between the guy that goes 45 and the guy that goes 25," he said. "There are going to be some guys that go in the first round that aren't necessarily worthy."

* He is high on LSU safety LaRon Landry -- Kiper's mock draft has the Redskins taking Landry.

"He should be a Pro Bowl caliber player," he said. "He'll be better than Roy Williams, no question."

* Kiper is also high on Louisville defensive tackle Amobi Okoye, another player on the Redskins' radar screen.

"You see a lot of the same qualities in Okoye that you do in Calvin Johnson -- tremendously mature and productive week in and week out," he said. "Athletically and strength-wise, he's what you want."

* And when I asked him about the Redskins, it gave Kiper a chance to again say how much he disagrees with the team's approach to building a roster.

"The Redskins have tried to use free agency over the draft every year and it's backfired dramatically," he said. "Demphasizing the draft has been done by one team. The Redskins. Has it worked? No. ... It's got to change. I don't know what it's going to take. My philosophy has always been the draft. You have to pick and choose what veterans you bring in. Throwing away draft choices is not the way to go. I sound like a broken record because I say it every year. I just shake my head because I can't believe it continues to happen."

* Kiper thinks the Redskins should trade out of the No. 6 position even if it means they acquire only a fourth- or fifth-round selection. He's not as big a believer in the draft value chart as the Redskins are.

"Forget the chart," he said. "You don't have to worry about getting chart value. Who cares. It's a draft pick you're getting. But the attitude there is, we can't get any help in the fourth or fifth round. Sure you can. You can get a starter in the fourth round. They're not going to get chart value so if they're at six, they're staying at six."

"The Redskins have tried to use free agency over the draft every year and it's backfired dramatically," he said. "Demphasizing the draft has been done by one team. The Redskins. Has it worked? No. ... It's got to change. I don't know what it's going to take. My philosophy has always been the draft. You have to pick and choose what veterans you bring in. Throwing away draft choices is not the way to go. I sound like a broken record because I say it every year. I just shake my head because I can't believe it continues to happen."

Kiper isn't the only one shaking his head. Maybe one day we'll figure out that our stragedy (and no, that's not a typo) isn't working and it's time to go back to the ho-hum course of being patient and building a team through the draft.

Yes, you can get a starter at 4, but it is unlikely. It's much more of a crapshoot that late. Trading down from 6 and getting just a 4th or a 5th rounder in return is absurd. And for all of those wishing we had 10, 12 draft picks, bear in mind that for every drafted player that makes the team, we have to cut a veteran to make room for him. How many spaces do we have open on our roster? Not very many, that's for sure.

I really think that we're going to find Quinn in our laps at the #6 pick...hopefully then we'll be able to strike a deal with the Dolphins to move to 9 and get some of their 2nd/3rd rounders. I cannot remember a draft where literally no one knew exactly what was going to happen.

If a back like Peterson or a Quinn is still at #6 wouldnt we all be scratching our heads if we took one of them.They would be higher on our best player available board over any D player.Im all for taking DL but could we pass up either of these guys?

Archived