Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Last game of the 06 season against Giants telling?

TSO

I totally agree. I have said numerous times in other posts that are Dline is not the problem. Last year it was the depleted secondary and linebackers like highway 57. Gregg Williams was trying to compensate by dropping men or else it wouldn't matter how many we rushed because someone would be wide open every time. This Dline is the same one that played awesome in 05 when we had healthy LBs and CBs. Now we have Goldston who will be more seasoned and probably better this year and we also have Carter who was really starting to come around at the end of last year. Now that we have a leader and solid tackler in Fletcher, we can move Lamar to his natural position on the outside. I would say the Dline is solid and will play well this year.

We had the least amount of sacks in the league last year. How is the D-line not a problem when they are the ones that are supposed to pressure the QB? The linebackers' and the secondarys' job is to cover and tackle. That's not to excuse their poor tackling and covering, but the D-line is the central part of any defense.

Am I the only one who remembers that game for JC's impressive almost-comeback? It could be that I was really drunk there in the stadium and didn't sober up until we started scoring in the second half but when I look at that game, all I see is how great JC can become with more experience and time to develop chemistry.

With slight improvements on defense, we win all those close games.

2006 - Talor, Marshall, Washington (5-11)

2005 - Marshall, Washington, Taylor (11-6)

2004 - Pierce, Washington, Clark (6-10)

All look about the same to me.

Except that the MLB was leading everytime and the safety was leading last season...

When the safety leads in tackles, it probably means that they are making more tackles deeper in the field, meaning that the other team has more yards...meaning that our LBs weren't making plays. Holdman was a big problem...

Great post IMO.

I too agree with your assessment. Many think our D-line was horrid. Yes it was bad, but all those rushing yards against do not really tell the whole tale. Our tackling was horrid.....by all positions. Injuries and poor play killed this team.

Yes, we have to get D-line youth and help, but what team doesn't?

Thesubmittedone: nice job.

The observation in the opening post is correct. Our defensive line didn't play as well as it had the previous two years, but, it was actually a solid front and played well. It was the best graded unit we had, which is WHY the offseason started and our priorities were on the secondary and linebacker in free agency so we could IMMEDIATELY improve there.

Our defensive scheme differs from others in that it puts a HUGE premium on stopping the run with seven guys, which allows everything else to happen for us. Because of that, we have specific, somewhat limited, requests made of the defensive line. They will never have BIG sack numbers asked to play they way they are. You could have Peppers, Merriman, Sapp and Freeney and we wouldn't get that many sacks because the line kind of surrenders some sacks for the ability to help get the run stopped.

Two years ago we had 20 sacks from our back seven. Last year we had 7. The drop off in pressure was not so much up front as in back. We had to, increasingly, decrease what we could do defensively because we were not getting people down to the ground -- linebackers -- as in years past, and we couldn't cover. Why Briggs is more attractive to us is because in our scheme, a linebacking core that can tackle, flow to the ball and be the sweeping force to allow us to play seven in the box is critical. Rocky is athletic enough to fill this role of course, and Marshall is stable enough not to hurt us.

In any case, when this team sat down and evaluated itself, the primary problems defensively were behind the front four. That isn't to say the front four graded out great. Merely that on balance, IT was not, and remains NOT our primary weakness.

I agree with those that think the LBers and the secondary were awful last year and that the DLline will be adequate this year with Griff/Montgomery/Golston etc. The Defense should be dramatically improved especially if the Briggs deal goes down on Draft day as I predict (if Skins are unsuccessful in trading up for you-know-who).

You know, I go and study the game tape from the last game we played last season against the NY Giants all the time. I just think it's the most telling seeing as it was our last game, and the Giants had everything to play for. Studying our defense in that game says everything about what's wrong with us. Surprisingly, the Dline wasn't bad at all.

Seriously.

I'll say it again... the Dline wasn't BAD AT ALL. :)

I was at that game and watching that toothpaste model run for an average of 10 yards a carry was one of the most disheartening things I saw all year. (And that's saying something.) So let me get this straight. Barber rushed for over 200 yards and scored 3 TD's and "the Dline wasn't bad at all"???

2006 - Talor, Marshall, Washington (5-11)

2005 - Marshall, Washington, Taylor (11-6)

2004 - Pierce, Washington, Clark (6-10)

All look about the same to me. And before I follow my instincts and call you a complete and utter moron for thinking that our defensive line wasn't terrible, particularly in that game, I'll do my due diligence and look at the film again myself. I admit I was **** faced watching it live, thank god. But don't be surprised if I return in a day or two asking for your head on a stick!:)

what kind of idiot post is this? the original poster had a very valid point of view. the pattern was on dispaly - evident - to those of us who attended games all season long. the LB play was pathetic (especially at the point of attack), the tackling by the secondary was horrific and contributed significanlty to the overall problems on run defense.

I was at that game and watching that toothpaste model run for an average of 10 yards a carry was one of the most disheartening things I saw all year. (And that's saying something.) So let me get this straight. Barber rushed for over 200 yards and scored 3 TD's and "the Dline wasn't bad at all"???

the orig poster may be right or wrong....he's trying to analyze where the systemic problem comes from so that repairs are directed to the right place.

and...btw....Tiki has run for big chunks of yardage for years against the Skins. maybe...just maybe...he was a great RB.......

Like I said, there were many occasions where he was stuffed at the LOS, only to come out and shed tackles from our LBs and DBs. That's how our D works man, the Dline needs to cover their spots, and the LBs gotta come up and finish the job. It's why we always have LBs leading the team in tackles, except last year.

And one more thing, the reason why I focus on the Giants game is because it was the last game of the season, and thus is the most telling. What happened in the Titans game was we had two rookies starting in the middle. Big difference. The last game of the season is always a good measure of what this team has been able to improve upon during the course of a season. I'd go so far as to throw in the game against the Rams in there too. We were playing great on defense until Shawn Springs went down. Then all hell broke loose. All I'm saying is so many on this board have put the Dline up front in terms of the teams' needs, but in reality, we've addressed the two positions that were really killing us.

if our Dline had had barber stuffed, he wouldnt have fun for 50 yards four times. he ran right up the middle numerous times. im not condoning our linebacker play, which was atrocious too, but our dline was manhandled a lot of the year. we need more depth and a HUGE dt up the middle. when williams had sam adams in buffalo, they were 7th and 8th vs the run, hes 350LB. thats not some sort of fluke. jaguars have 337lb john henderson, and theyre 2nd vs the run. baltimore has 340lb ngata, and theyre like 3rd. huge DTs stuff the run. dont forget grady jackson on the falcons, who were top 10 against the run too. grady jackson is so big im not even sure he has legs.

If this helps; here is P. Daniels response to an email that I sent him last week:

Original Message:

Dear Phillip: I am a life long Redskin's fan and watched Sonny and the over-the-hill-gang play in the late 60's and early 70's at RFK. I have a business in Marietta and have my primary residence in Florida and travel to 3-4 games per year. I think you still have some game left and we really need you to have a good year. Most of the boards want a replacement for you in the draft; however, I believe if you workout extremely hard this off-season and regain that quick step and speed you had with Seattle; you will have a great year! You play well against the run but you need to regain that motor.

Gibbs, and mostly the fans really need you to play at your best this year.

Go Skins!!

Response to Message:

A lot of people are complaining about our pass rush and they really don't know the game or our scheme. Because our secondary was so depleted last season, we went to a lot of 3 man rushes and the odds of 3 men beating

5-7

men is highly unlikely. Reason we rushed so much 3 man was to help our secondary out which even dropping 8 for coverage didn't help the group we had back there. Just think about the games when we rushed 4 up front (Carolina, Jacksonville, New Orleans). All wins and where we got our sacks.

From what I am told by the coaches, we are changing the way we do things this year so hopefully they stick to the game plan so we can get after them up front. You mentioned Seattle and again we had a 4 man front all the time and a good one at that. A lot more go into the pass rush then just looking at stats so this year at the game, pay attention to us up front and it will tell you a big story. Thanks for supporting us and being a die hard Redskin Fan.

This shows that at least PD thinks the DL is O.K. :2cents:

first off, theres no way daniels is gonna call himself out here. he didnt get to the QB but 3 times. and hes saying we had 3 man rushes going on??? first of all, thats RETARDED. i definitely dont remember seeing 8 men in coverage running around. and hes saying that when we did rush 4 we won games? so why did we stop?????? he shouldnt use the jax game, our defense got SLAYED for 30 points, so he can bring that up all he wants. our O won that game. carolina and NO both had great secondary play in the form of PDs and INTs in both games, and we were rushing 4? is that a coincidence? no its not. pressure from the front creates turnovers. so you have to wonder. if the results are so clear, why (if its even true) did we decide to rush three men??? and why couldnt we stop the run? obviously we werent running dime packages to stuff the run.

daniels comments are pretty silly if you ask me. if hes telling the truth, then williams D schemes this year were beyond dumb and we deserved to lose.

and helping the secondary? they didnt help the secondary at all. if anything rushing 3 is what hurt the secondary, which is blatantly clear because daniels states that when we did rush 4 we won games. holy stupid comments batman. pretty irritating to read that stuff.

If one desires to see a Redskin D-line gloriously dominate and destroy, watch the 87/88 superbowl. Denver's o-line was "Man" handled courtesy of Charles Mann and Dexter Manley. Grant, Butz and Hamilton had their way with the much heralded denver O-line. They were forced to blantently hold....or these guys would have ripped Elway's head off.

No team last year was forced to make adjustments due to our pass Pressure...the rush was inconsistant at best. Tiki Torched through alot of teams' defensive lines....Travis Henry of the titans did not....but he sure embarassed us in our house...That was the game that spoke volumes about our line to me.

They need help...I hope Joe gets them some.

is joe salevea still on the team?? i know he's getting old but it would make me feel a lot better about our DT depth. the redskins defense was bad enough last year that it simply needs playmakers, no matter at what position. i think our biggest need is probably a safety along side taylor because the projected starters of either stoutmire and vernon fox are probably not as good at their position as anyone on the defensive line. with that said, i couldnt complain if we got a DL because even if we do rush 3--a stud there would make our defense that much more dynamic. best scenario would be to trade down and get both

Archived