Extremeskins

Mock Draft: WAS trades with NE

DCdangerous

I wouldn't have a problem with it but:

Our #6= 1,600 draft points

NE's #24 and #28= 1,400

so my suggestion if NE really wanted to do this, they would need to give us:

#24, #28, #91 (136) and #127 (45)= 1,581

Sometimes you have to say: **** the value chart. I think this might be one of those times.

NE's #24 and #28= 1,400

Draft value chart is a baseline. In no way does the #6 get all these picks. The two firsts is a stretch.

A few things to think about for those who quote the Jimmy Johnson draft Chart as a reason why NE's offer of 2 1st round picks is insufficient:

1.The numeric values associated with each pick are relative...not objective by any sense of the word. In essence, any player is worth what you are willing to give up for him.

2. In numerous mock draft websites, it has been mentioned that there is a reluctance for teams to try to trade up before the draft in general, and specifically for any player other than the top 5 talents. Since draft value is a relative term, it could be that this year's #6 has less assigned value to it by the rest of the GMs in this league, and therefore trading out of it would require taking a "discount"(at least, according to the draft chart).

3. No doubt, hard-core draftniks have heard about the Cade Massey and Richard Thaler study of the NFL draft. As economists without association to the NFl, they concluded that low 1st round picks and 2nd round picks actually outperform, on average, the high 1st round picks in terms of relative value...in other words, the high 1st rounders my be better players, but the amount of salary they eat up makes them less cost-effective than the late 1st-2nd rounders.

Based on this data, I would not be surprised to see certain front offices start to both alter the standard draft chart (to lessen the values of the top draft picks) and adopt a philosophy of value & volume within the 1st day of drafting. Indeed, the Patriots may have already adopted that strategy...which would make this scenario of trading up to get Landry unlikely without sacrificing some "point value" according to the chart.

In short, I would take the 2 lower 1st round picks & run, if I were the Skins.

NE's #24 and #28= 1,400

That depends on them really wanting Landry at 6. That's not the Patriots' style.

personally, i would take the 2 first rounds, and pick up either a def end or tackle, and use the other one for a starting rookie safety. i think golston will be a starter and be a good one. montgomery will keep getting better, and is a good backup. salaava will be a good backup as well and should be able to keep him healthy for part time play. griffin hopefully, can play a whole season and get over the nagging injuries. def end i expect carter to be effective now that he is switched and played a whole season. we do need a def end to take the other spot. safety, is a big plus if we can get a true free safety, coverage type, to let taylor do his thing. last year we had no such safety on the roster, and taylor was spread way to thin. i do believe, the skins can pick up a big def tackle to plug holes and help stop the run, with the free agent market. i doubt this is true of safeties.

He played through injury. Guy is tough.

Very tough. Harrell had a torn bicep and decided to play in the FLA game instead of having sugury. He played with 1 arm, and was still basically unblockable. Against the team that won the the BCS this year. He is very good and very tough, and I'd love this move. Him next to Griff/Golston would make out D-Line alot better in the middle.

Even if NE just offers their two first round picks and nothing else, I think you have to take it. I could see taking one of those picks and trading down into round two as well. Having two #1 picks, albeit late, still provides several options.

I rather trade with Atlanta and get a 3rd. Dropping that late, could lead us to draft 2 people who bust or are career backups.

At 6, we have a better chance to get an impact player. I am all for trading down, but only if it makes sense. The NE trade does not.

Trading with Atlanta gets us another pick, but still allows us to choose from Okoye, Carriker, and Andersen.

Then in the 3rd we can take the best OL or CB available.

I like this guy.....I see the next Shawn Merrriman

28. Washington Redskins (from New England) TRADE ALERT!

Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue

The Deal: The Patriots send their two first-round picks (24th and 28th overall) to the Redskins.

Rationale: An infusion of high-end, young talent to the Redskins line would be a welcomed change of pace for a franchise that insists on building through free agency. Spencer would provide a speedy pass rusher on the edge and could be a building block for the 'Skins.

Archived