Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Proven Commodities

chronicdesi

As the last few offseasons have progressed, we have all noticed that the Redskins love to trade away our draft picks for proven commodities. Some on this board find this as a problem because we are not replenishing our youth and depth. Some see this as a great way of winning, because we don't take a blind shot during the draft, and we find proven gems who will get the money they want.

Regardless of which side of the fence you sit on, trading away draft picks on a year to year basis makes me see an underlying problem that is found in society today.

Now before I jump into the problem, understand this is not a shot at Joe Gibbs or anyone on the coaching staff. It is their desire to find players that can contribute to the team. They have enough on their plates as it is.

The problem lies in the lack of effort and work ethic of our front office. Research in any field is key to success. Coaches study film, players study film, and even at your job some type of research leads to success. The problem I see is that the FO isn't stupid, but they lack the desire and work ethic to gather up great information on players.

Different scouts may have a better feel for the game, but lets face it, every scout is there for a reason, and they all see the same thing. They know techinqiues and they know how to read players. With the lack of work ethic in our FO, we just don't seem to find the gems that others find. I understand missing on lots of picks, but close to all in later rounds is pretty much unheard of.

If our scouts spent more time studying possible draft choices and putting together a thoughtful report, I believe we can find these gems. Even if they could put together an adequate report, they would be able to ensure the coaching staff that players in the draft can be just as good, and cheaper, than players signed in FA.

Now this is just my take on things, and I have no sort of report of evidence that the FO is lazy, but it just occured to me so I thought I would bring it up to see what you guys thought.

It's a little ironic and hipocritical that you would point to the Redskins front office's lack of research into available talent to draft, due to their sub par work ethic. When in truth you just commited the same offense. How much research have you actually done before you posted that our front office or scouting department hasn't done extensive research into available players both in college and in the NFL? My guess is not alot. While we may not have the best scouting department in the league I think they have done pretty well with what they have to work with. Keep in mind just because a scout finds a gem doesn't mean we get to pick them, there are 31 other teams that have scouts that probably are seeing the same guys. We also contact several of players after the draft that decide to sign with someone else. Would it make you evaluate our scouting department different if you knew that they were high on M.Colston as an undrafted free agent and that had it not been for NO selecting him in the 7th round with a compensitory pick at the end of the draft we might have signed him. Then again he might have decided to sign somewhere he thought he might be able to play right away. If we are not in the front office we really can not say what they know and what they've tried to do, and niether do the media.

The front office spends tons of time working on stuff like this, that i will give them credit for. I mean Vinny has binders and charts and binders and charts, really neat stuff.

The problem is not the research. The problem is they suck at interpreting all the information they gather.

The Redskins have the fewest choices in the draft this year; however, they have had more visits to D.C. than any other team. Every player on the Sirius NFL network say that they have either been to Washington, or will be going to them. This team does not have any picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round. They must be doing some serious contingency planning, so I believe your "work ethic" statement is way off base!

It's a little ironic and hipocritical that you would point to the Redskins front office's lack of research into available talent to draft, due to their sub par work ethic. When in truth you just commited the same offense. How much research have you actually done

Yeah well, most people don't have that much time in the day to do this or the access to game film. Plus, they get paid a lot of money to do it. It's their job and they're piss poor at it.

Alot of speculation there. Further, you are insinuating that the Redskins dont do any research on FA personel and who to aquire. Well they had to decide on someone correct? They review tape of them, they interview them, they talk to people who know them. So why is it lazier to not do research on draft picks and instead do them on FAs? Its the same thing isnt it? Researching an individual to find out how well he plays football?

Yeah well, most people don't have that much time in the day to do this or the access to game film. Plus, they get paid a lot of money to do it. It's their job and they're piss poor at it.

Well if you have'nt done the reaserch and know that you are correct you should probably shut up. If you want to say that maybe the Skins FO isn't doing as much work as everyone else fine. But don't just start a thread saying the Redskins have a poor work ethic in the front office if you are not there to judge it.

I would have no problem with the Skins talking about trading the #6 pick for a 26 year old defensive end who has been a two time pro bowler :)

What I do have a problem with is starting trade talks for a player in Briggs that plays a position, linebacker, where talent can be had in free agency and in rounds 2 and 3 of the draft..........a point that is proven again and again each season.

Smart teams like the Colts, Eagles and Patriots (before Thomas) let their linebackers go in FA for the big contracts and draft replacements in rounds 2, 3 and 4.

They don't overpay for linebackers because the real dollars on defense should be spent on the DL and the corners.

Alot of speculation there. Further, you are insinuating that the Redskins dont do any research on FA personel and who to aquire. Well they had to decide on someone correct? They review tape of them, they interview them, they talk to people who know them. So why is it lazier to not do research on draft picks and instead do them on FAs? Its the same thing isnt it? Researching an individual to find out how well he plays football?

Yeah, this kinda blew the whole, the FO is lazy theory. Plus it probably takes more work to eveluate trades and FA's.

This is a foolish, silly premise. The reason Joe Gibbs has promoted Cerrato is because he values the man's work ethic, which, for Gibbs is often more important than any man's smarts, knowing how hard Gibbs works himself. Our team does attempt to take more "safe" players than building a lot with developmental guys.

Take a look at our CURRENT depth on the offensive line. Molinaro and Wilson were developing slowly as draft picks. Both are now gone. In their place is a batch of guys who've all been starters in the NFL. Some a lot of starting, some a little. All have some versatility and experience. None are guys you would view as the "next" guy you'd start for any real length of time behind ANY of the starters, so, in one way, we lack "depth" if you define depth as future players.

Yet, all the guys are guys you'd rather have in spot duty immediately should anyone get hurt during the year. They are the sorts of players who are routinely available in the NFL as cheap, experienced, former starters who are really better as reserves you can get by with for short periods, but not build around. Honestly, the depth we have on the line is exceptionally comforting heading into 2007 FOR 2007. It's rather troubling heading into 2007 for 2009.

My guess, though, is the team will identify a big free agent, like Randy Thomas or Casey Rabach (one a really good player and the other a little above average) to replace Jansen or Samuels or Thomas or Rabach when that's necessary. You'll likely see an early pick NEXT year used for this as well.

In the end, you need to ask yourself what you prefer. A stable of unproven guys you've never seen but you hope can replace current starters in the future when their number is called, or, a stable of veterans, who have proven they can start in the league, who are not full time starters in the league, but can be called on in case of injury.

I'd rather have Omar Stoutmire on my team than Reed Doughty if only one spot is available. Doughty is a guy who could develop over time into something. Stoutmire is a guy you can play and win with right now, but who won't be around in two years. What do you prefer?

Archived