Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bucs covet CJ

lavar1156

From ESPN.com

We're told the Buccaneers covet WR Calvin Johnson and will trade up to land him, if necessary. Sources tell us the Buccaneers have an extra second-round pick -- acquired from Indianapolis in the Anthony McFarland trade last season -- that they would be willing to deal and, with a surplus of quarterbacks, Chris Simms or Jake Plummer could be available.

Question is do the Lions (most likely trade partner) prefer what we have over the Bucs. I think the Lions want a player and not a plethera of draft picks. So it could be possible that we already have the gentlemans deal with the Lions that we have heard about. Plus the Lions wanted Springs before when we were trying to get Bly. So maybe we have the upper hand in CJ sweepstakes.

Nothing really new, most of us figure TB will take up CJ if he's available at the pick. That's why most of the guys have been hoping to trade up to 2 to get CJ.

Tampa's trading up to ensure getting him....that's the point of the article if you read it.

We have an upper hand if we are willing to give up players, but sometimes you have to wonder is it worth it. Heres how it would stack up for us:

1) We give up a good, if not shut down, corner (not easy to come by)

2) We would be taking a cap hit.

3) We don't draft a defensive player (now losing two total including Springs)

4) We pay more for a number 2 draft pick than a 6.

5) We may have to give up a pick from next year's draft.

Yeah we have more to offer, but we have a lot more to lose too.

Ever think of the possibility that the Skins are seeing what it takes to get the #2 spot so they can be an intermediary? Example, TB trades with the Skins for the 6 then will trade with the Lions for #2. As an example it makes sense because the Skins could get a second rd pick and TB could then trade a player and the 6 for their #2. This assumes that trading picks for draft day is not as cut and dry as it may seem.

Question is do the Lions (most likely trade partner) prefer what we have over the Bucs. I think the Lions want a player and not a plethera of draft picks. So it could be possible that we already have the gentlemans deal with the Lions that we have heard about. Plus the Lions wanted Springs before when we were trying to get Bly. So maybe we have the upper hand in CJ sweepstakes.

I really don't think too many remember the dead cap hit we would suffer if we traded Springs. We are not far enough under the cap for him to be released or traded this year. So I don't believe we have what it would take to move up to #2 without mortaging the future. Furthermore, if we were able to unload him then I think the cap hit alone would suck up any money we had hoped to use to sign the #2 pick. So this theory needs to be redone without Springs in the mix IMO.

We have an upper hand if we are willing to give up players, but sometimes you have to wonder is it worth it. Heres how it would stack up for us:

:applause: :applause: :applause: couldnt of put it better myself.

Even in Tampa trades up with Detroit and the Lions are serious about Adams instead of Quinn, that works in our favor. Quinn would be available at #6 and teams will come calling.

This is why I advocate staying put at #6. We might very well recoup a pick if we are resolute with our options having the #6 pick.

If we trade #6 and Springs for #24 or 28 and Samuel, why cant we pick up a D-lineman with the #24 or 28 pick??? Plenty of D-lineman still on the board at 24 or 28.

The more they talk about Tampa Coveting CJ the more I think its a smoke screen for really wanting Gaines Adams. They know Detroit is looking at DE, so in order to out fox them they have to make them think they want a player they don't really need.

Tampa's Dline was well worse than ours last year, THey don't have sapp, and rice is on borrowed crutches.

Archived