Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gaines Adams highlight.

illone

So just because he is the consensus #1 that means he is going to stop the run?

:rolleyes:

so one play on youtube where Gaines Adams gets knkocked backwards means he can't stop the run? Even though he fought off blockers from the right side of the field towards the middle?

This is all you got to support your claim? This is old news my friend and I find it hilarious that people think a 20 second video of a consensus #1 defines a player's ability, even though said player was 3rd in the nation in sacks and a 1st team all-ameircan. Guess what ... CJ droppped plenty of passes (against Clemons too when Gaines bottled up Reggie Ball and and helped contain their whole running game while making sacks and causing fubmles, at the time said team was ranked 11th in the nation) ... and Russell and Quinn both threw interceptions this past year ... and JOe Thomas gave up a couple sacks this past year ... and Adrian Peterson fumbled on more than one occasion this past year. No ones perfect ... and he shouldn;t be asked to play DT in the NFL. He was making up for a lack of talent in a lot of other areas on that Tiger's defense.

Just another of our Jamaal Anderson and CJ draft people who must find a way to discredit Adams who is an awesome pass rusher WAY better than Anderson in that aspect. Considering the fact that Anderson just started performing at a noticable level this year does not make him Julius Peppers people. Please WAKE up!!!! Stop spreading the rumors and crap you hear from other people about not being good against the run.

He might not be excellent against the run, but he is solid against the run and a consensus No.1 DE in this years draft according to numerous draft experts.

But then again they did say Mike Williams was going to be a beast in the NFL.

]']So' date=' wait, hoe is Anderson not the better prospect, if he had more sacks than Adams, in a tougher conference, and is built to be a promising DE.[/quote']

If he is what is it do the select people on this board see in Anderson that pretty much EVERY draft board, scouting report, and any team that speaks about the DE's are missing? I got an open mind but every one pretty much under the sun picks Adams as the better prospect and it doesn't even seem close anymore.

Months ago you'd see Anderson rated just a little lower than Adams but now Adams has held steady and even has climbed some while Anderson in most boards is dropping semi-hard.

If you guys have special insight on Anderson that everyone else seems to be missing, cool enough? But for me to get hyped on Anderson it would be easier for me if I caught some hype outside of this board.

Kiper gave me some hope at the beginning he had Anderson just a hair over Adams. That was unusual but at least we had someone else outside the board on the hype wagon. But since, Anderson has dropped on his boards, too and Adams is ahead of him.

This is exactly why I am against Adams.

Then don't buy his jersey and jump on his jock if the Skins draft him. If the Skins draft wish for nothing but bad play upon Gaines just so you can then say you were right. Until the draft stop showing the same old ass worn out clip, that we've all seen, of one play that he was in a horrible position to make. I'm neither pro or con Gaines Adams but I won't be sad come draft day if we land a guy that could easily get us 10+ sacks a year, hey add that to our 19 total sacks last year and we almost got a D worth talking about.

Then don't buy his jersey and jump on his jock if the Skins draft him. If the Skins draft wish for nothing but bad play upon Gaines just so you can then say you were right. Until the draft stop showing the same old ass worn out clip, that we've all seen, of one play that he was in a horrible position to make. I'm neither pro or con Gaines Adams but I won't be sad come draft day if we land a guy that could easily get us 10+ sacks a year, hey add that to our 19 total sacks last year and we almost got a D worth talking about.

Not sure why you even posted this.

I think every Redskins fan in the world would buy his jersey if he panned out. The purpose of the thread is to discuss the fact that he is a risky player to draft in the 6 spot because he doesn't offer the dual threat that our defense needs. We don't need a pure pass rusher. We have a guy like that in Carter.

If you read the thread you would see that I think the guy is a tremendous athlete. One that the Skins can't afford to take the risk on based on the type of player that he is.

Sure, we need sacks, but one player isn't going to magically improve our sack numbers. If anything, better play on the inside will improve our sack numbers, judging by the play of Salave'a/Griffin in 2005. Both those guys played lights out and you saw a defense that created more turnovers and consistently stopped the run. 2006 proved a different story all together as the play of those two dropped due to injury.

Now, I'm not saying we won't find use for a pass rushing end. Im certain we can, but not at the expense of the 6th pick int he draft. Far more value can be attained by going another direction depending who falls to us on draft day.

Drafting Carriker, Harrell, or even Chris Houston meanwhile acquiring a 2nd and possibly a 3rd round pick to be used on a OG provides FAR more value to the Redskins than simply taking a situational pass rusher just because we need more sacks.

Just another of our Jamaal Anderson and CJ draft people who must find a way to discredit Adams who is an awesome pass rusher WAY better than Anderson in that aspect.

You should read the thread before you make stupid claims like this.

Nowhere in this thread have I suggested Anderson, or even CJ. This thread is simply about Gaines Adams and my belief that he is one dimentional.

I've suggested a few alternatives. Maybe you should comment on those before you waste board space with silly accusations.

I put this in the other thread, but it deserves one on its own. Gaines Adams is a one dimentional playmaker who can't be counted on to stop the run.

I liked watching him last season, and he made some tremendous plays for Clemson, but I think he will be a liability in the running game, a la Freeny. We need a guy who can do both.

Just say NO to Adams.

Sorry I'm not feeling you on this one. Not like the guy can't be coached to stop the run. If anything you need to do your campign for Anderson. I have a lot of questions about how Anderson got his sacks. Is he a one year wonder kind of guy. At least with gaines you know he can get to the QB and that other stuff about liability against the run is nonsense. I think Gaines would be our best option at this point and if there when we pick we pull the trigger.

I put this in the other thread, but it deserves one on its own. Gaines Adams is a one dimentional playmaker who can't be counted on to stop the run.

I liked watching him last season, and he made some tremendous plays for Clemson, but I think he will be a liability in the running game, a la Freeny. We need a guy who can do both.

Just say NO to Adams.

Thats what substitutions are for. Put him in on third downs for Daniels until he bulks some more and improves his run stopping ability. And in all fairness, he was off balance on that play and come across from the opposite side of the field. How about you watch this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/s/nfldraft;_ylt=Ajqo6nJgseUDltE3t8TqCQ9DubYF

Select Gaines Adams

Sorry I'm not feeling you on this one. Not like the guy can't be coached to stop the run. If anything you need to do your campign for Anderson. I have a lot of questions about how Anderson got his sacks. Is he a one year wonder kind of guy. At least with gaines you know he can get to the QB and that other stuff about liability against the run is nonsense. I think Gaines would be our best option at this point and if there when we pick we pull the trigger.

Yeah. Compare them on this. http://sports.yahoo.com/s/nfldraft;_ylt=Ajqo6nJgseUDltE3t8TqCQ9DubYF

Anderson is raw and come up out of his stance too high. Adams has more moves and the best speed out of any of the DE. I don't care what the 40 times say, watch Adams sack QBs 10 yards in the backfield and see how quickly he closes the distance. Charles Johnson is impressive too though. What how he explodes into each tackle from the hips. Carriker play against some awful awful OTs in the Big Twelve so he is still a big question mark for me and he's not nearly as fast as Adams or Johnson. Personally, as a former WR, I want Calvin Johnson or Ted Ginn Jr....that boy is nasty.

Thats what substitutions are for. Put him in on third downs for Daniels until he bulks some more and improves his run stopping ability. And in all fairness, he was off balance on that play and come across from the opposite side of the field. How about you watch this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/s/nfldraft;_ylt=Ajqo6nJgseUDltE3t8TqCQ9DubYF

Select Gaines Adams

Wait, are you suggesting the team spends a #6 draft pick and $15 mil siging bonus on a guy that's only going to see the field on 3rd down?

And you guys think Vinny is bad:laugh:

I fail to see how one play makes a career. That just seems shortsighted and foolish to think that way. Jordan certainly never threw up an airball, or got his shot rejected, or missed a dunk...

Nobody is saying one play makes a career. That highlight is all I could find on youtube.

:)

It is foolish to use #6 on a DE especially since we need a DT alot more.

CJ at #2.

As much as I like the idea of having the best player in this draft somehow make our roster, the idea just doesn't make any sense at all. For the Redskins, who are way thin on draft picks this year, to land CJ would take a host of 2008 draft picks which the team really can't afford to give up.

I'm firmly of the belief that our offense is pretty much complete. We can talk about that in another thread but with Portis back, Campbell in his 2nd year, and a top 5 Oline, all things considered the offense doesn't look to be in trouble at all. We're going to run the ball and use play-action to find Moss and Cooley, with Randle El and Lloyd as decent 3rd/4th options. Therefore drafting a guy like CJ, and mortgaging future draft picks at the teams expense just doesn't seem like a good fit for the Skins in 2007.

We have three highly paid receivers and a top 5 TE/HB. Now I know most people here are not satisfied with Lloyd, but I can promise you that Gibbs is, at least going into 2007. If he wasn't Lloyd'd have been on the same plane outta here with Wright, Arch, and Rumph (and whoever else we cut so far this off-season).

So, knowing that the offense is pretty much set, sans a true guard and maybe some more oline depth, where else is the teams largest area of need?

I'd argue that DT is. Griffin and Salave'a should make the roster again, but if either one goes down, which is probable at this point in their careers, then we will need some competent depth behind them. Golston seems to be a fan favorite but I don't think the Redskins are going to rely on that.

Now, for the team to go out and sign a guy with the 6th overall pick, that guy better be a lockdown type player. We've gotta make this pick count. A guy with NO negatives on his resume. Looking at this draft board there are no defenders that fit the bill.

The only option that makes sense for the Skins is to trade down and draft the best DT on the board, and with the extra picks look at a DE, more DT, or a safety.

:2cents:

I take my comment back. Gaines had that play read and still didn't attack it well.

I will reiterate here since everyone is having such a hard time.

This one play does not define the guy. There are plenty of other GOOD highlights where the kid makes some nice plays. BUT, you will find that a majority of those are in the passing game, or special teams.

I remember one play in particular he made in the Wake Forest game. He created a turnover on a screen pass and almost took it in for a TD. I like that part of his game.

However, in that same WF game, Adams was pretty much abused in the running game. Wake Forest owned him except for the 4th qtr. My worry is not that the guy can makes plays. I've said all along that he can, and most likely will make plays. However, stopping the run is a major concern. It might not be for you guys but I can assure you it is for Gibbs and Williams.

For the team to spend a high first round pick on a situational pass rusher just doesn't seem like the best idea right now.

Nobody is saying one play makes a career. That highlight is all I could find on youtube.

:)

Except thats the way the thread comes off(after all it says say "NO" to Adams, and all that is provided is the video to one play).

For the record, I actually want Anderson over Adams, I think hes an all-around talent. Raw is a word people who dont know what "coaching" means like to use.

Except thats the way the thread comes off(after all it says say "NO" to Adams, and all that is provided is the video to one play).

For the record, I actually want Anderson over Adams, I think hes an all-around talent. Raw is a word people who dont know what "coaching" means like to use.

I don't mind Anderson over Adams. But at 6?

Archived