Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gaines Adams highlight.

illone

I put this in the other thread, but it deserves one on its own. Gaines Adams is a one dimentional playmaker who can't be counted on to stop the run.

I liked watching him last season, and he made some tremendous plays for Clemson, but I think he will be a liability in the running game, a la Freeny. We need a guy who can do both.

Just say NO to Adams.

So just because he is the consensus #1 that means he is going to stop the run?

:rolleyes:

It wasn't one player that allowed the NFL to run all over us last year...if we are going to be better against the run its going to be the whole defense.

It wasn't one player that allowed the NFL to run all over us last year...if we are going to be better against the run its going to be the whole defense.

Agreed. We already got better by adding Fletcher, but our defense is not built to allow one guy to rush the passer on every down. I highly doubt GW would recomend drafting a one dimentional guy like Adams.

I could be wrong, but I am firmly against taking this guy.

I really don't understand what you guys are expecting out of this #6 pick? An all around run stuffing, pass rushing beast? Our DL is soft, one player will not correct this however Adams could be a key piece when more talent is brought in.

A complete DL is not made in one offseason. Adams is a playmaker and anyone who saw the leagues all time worst team at causing turnovers knows we need playmakers.

I put this in the other thread, but it deserves one on its own. Gaines Adams is a one dimentional playmaker who can't be counted on to stop the run.

I liked watching him last season, and he made some tremendous plays for Clemson, but I think he will be a liability in the running game, a la Freeny. We need a guy who can do both.

Just say NO to Adams.

I remember a similar play on this board 3 offseasons ago with ST and Greg Jones. Either way I don't see us picking up a DL at #6, I think the FO has nailed down its two options...

1) Trade up for CJ

2) Trade down and compile more picks

I really don't understand what you guys are expecting out of this #6 pick? An all around run stuffing, pass rushing beast?

That is what you SHOULD be able to get that high in the draft. I would expect to get a guy who will at least help in both areas, run and pass rush, and if a player there doesn't fit the bill then you trade the pick and avoid said player.

Like I said, Adams is a play maker. He just isn't the play-maker we need right now.

That is what you SHOULD be able to get that high in the draft. I would expect to get a guy who will at least help in both areas, run and pass rush, and if a player there doesn't fit the bill then you trade the pick and avoid said player.

Like I said, Adams is a play maker. He just isn't the play-maker we need right now.

So who would you want at #6?

I remember a similar play on this board 3 offseasons ago with ST and Greg Jones. Either way I don't see us picking up a DL at #6, I think the FO has nailed down its two options...

1) Trade up for CJ

2) Trade down and compile more picks

This is exactly why I am against Adams. There is no way you can say he is to the DE position what Taylor is/was to the safety position coming out of school. And we're picking one spot lower in the draft.

I really haven't made up my mind. So far I've just been narrowing down who I know I don't want. Process of elimination. From the start I've pretty much been in favor of trading down and getting as many picks as possible.

Landry wouldn't be a bad pick at #6, although I'd still rather trade down.

Depends what the team ultimately does with Springs, and how they plan to shore up the SS position. I am all for putting Springs at FS, Taylor to SS, and drafting a DT/DE/Oline in a trade down scenario.

I really haven't made up my mind. So far I've just been narrowing down who I know I don't want. Process of elimination. From the start I've pretty much been in favor of trading down and getting as many picks as possible.

Landry wouldn't be a bad pick at #6, although I'd still rather trade down.

Depends what the team ultimately does with Springs, and how they plan to shore up the SS position. I am all for putting Springs at FS, Taylor to SS, and drafting a DT/DE/Oline in a trade down scenario.

Landry is looking like the best defensive prospect in the draft, but can we afford to completely neglect the DL this offseason? I agree that trading down is the best option even if we end up with one of the 2nd tier guys. Personally I believe Carter is the only guy we have to build a DL around, I know this is heresy around here but I think Griff is on his last legs along with all the other bums we have.

I dont know who i want at #6, but by using that "evidence" against Adams, all you have to do is show a highlight of Marcus getting trucked by Jacobs last year and use that to say that we shouldnt have gotten him. Or, use the numerous times ST was scored on.

1 play doesnt make the player

The way I see it, the defensive line needs to get a big body at the DT position. A big body (a gap 2 guy) would suck up the offensive linemen, almost demanding a double team. This would free up the ends to get one on one (Andre Carter anyone?) and help collapse the pocket for the quarterback. On running plays, the linebackers would be able to roam freely and make plays.

Alan Branch would be this prototypical "big boned" DT. Unfortunately for him, and fortunately for us, Branch's stock seems to have taken a tumble over the past month or so. Therefore, I could see us moving down 3 or 4 spots if a QB (Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russell) or a RB (Adrian Peterson) are still on the board. We would pick up at least a second rounder and probably a third in the process. If we did slip down that far, we would still have a shot a Branch or Amobi Okoye, two great prospects at DT.

My :2cents:

1 play doesnt make the player

Agreed. However, I'm not using this one play to make the case. Having watched Clemson games quite a bit last year I pretty much know what to expect out of Adams. He made a game-changing play in the Wake Forest game in the 4th qtr, but he got ran on that whole game too.

I think Gaines Adams is a special player, just not the special player that we need. He's more of a cover 2 DE and you saw how the cover 2 worked for us last year:laugh:

Except he is not. There is little to no consensus regarding the top 4 guys.

Uhhh... yeah there is.

Adams is the clear #1.

Then there is a drop off. There is no consensus as to who #2 is, as several players who fall in there.

I suppose those who are trying to say "Pass on Adams because he can't play the run!" are people who want Anderson. If that is correct, then those people are silly. There is no reason to think that Anderson is appreciably better at stopping the run then Adams.

Anderson has a lot of question marks. Lord knows why some of the people here have this delusion that he is Peppers-like AWESOME!!1! He isn't. If he were, he would be a top pick.

He is a good sized DE with nice measureables. He has success when the line runs plays to help free him up.

But he is by no means a "can't miss" DE. He by no means anything close to "the next Peppers."

Anderson is absurdly over-hyped by some of our fans. That in itself wouldn't be so much of a problem, but for the fact that they feel compelled to try to discredit the superior Adams in an effort to lift up Anderson by tearing down Adams.

Anderson is a bigger risk than Adams, IMO. The guy had one decent year with Arkansas and is an extremely RAW player. At least Adams you have a larger pool of information by which to draw conclusions from. Anderson isn't worth the 6th pick, either.

Anderson is a bigger risk than Adams, IMO. The guy had one decent year with Arkansas and is an extremely RAW player. At least Adams you have a larger pool of information by which to draw conclusions from. Anderson isn't worth the 6th pick, either.

I am starting to think that Carricker will leapfrog Anderson come draft time.

Archived