Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Masters 2007 Thread

E-Dog Night

Here's a question: How do they keep Augusta looking that nice? Do they have crop-dusters which spray Miracle-Gro all over the place? I've never seen any other place like it...except that elven town in Lord of the Rings.

That information is very closely guarded. I do know they have heaters in

the flower beds. To make sure the flowers are blooming for the tournament.

Seriously, the groundsmen there are sworn not to discuss what they do. I do know they send out the grass cutters in a V formation and they cut the

same direction everyday. The cutters use GPS as well.

Here's a question: How do they keep Augusta looking that nice? Do they have crop-dusters which spray Miracle-Gro all over the place? I've never seen any other place like it...except that elven town in Lord of the Rings.

A friend of mine (not the type of guy to just make stuff up) was the head greenskeeper at a country club in South Carolina and was invited to play Augusta once (and only once) as a guest of the head of the grounds crew there. He said that he was really surprised to see a fair amount of spray paint around. Not to say that it was all spray paint of course - hardly - but pretty much anything that turned brown was spray painted green, then dealt with later, i.e. likely resodded aggressively. He also said that you could see straight to the bottom of every pond in the premesis - totally crystal clear. You can't see that on TV.

(On a side note, when you attend the Masters, everything is green - the napkins, the soda containers, the chairs, the hot dog holders, the TV stands, EVERYTHING, so nothing stands out - they are obsessed with green).

In addition, the place used to be a flower nursery before it wa a golf course, so it was always in immaculate shape. Of course, they have all the money in the world there (Augusta's membership is populated by pretty much every high level Coca-Cola executive, for starters) and they have an extensive grounds crew that uses liberal amounts of fertilizer. Money is simply not an object. You can do a lot with the best grounds crew in the world & unlimited resources, with somone tending to every little detail. After years of experience, they know exactly when to water, and how much to water, what works and what doesn't.

The natural terrian also helps. Augusta sits in a natural bowl, so it holds moisture very well. It's almost a natural rain forest.

It's a special place.

EDIT: - I forgot to mention that Augusta sees very little play. After the Masters is over, the course is open for a little while then it closes for most of the summer. It opens again in the fall then closes a few months before the Masters. So that helps a lot. The grounds crew can go to town without having to be encumbured by regular golf play.

And I'm sure they have a least one greenhouse and sod field on site, in the event that any patch of grass - or azalea bush - needs replacing. Without players, they can do that and let the new stuff take root in peace, preparing them for full bloom in April.

Thanks E-Dog and Riggins...and E-Dog, you're right, it is a very special place. I know our golf courses over here don't come close...St. Andrews is pretty ugly, though it has a Scottish character.

Yeah, but Scotland is the birthplace of golf. In many ways, that's what golf really is. It's like the original writer of a song gets props over someone who covers a song, even if the cover sounds a little better.

And Tiger dropped 2 shots over the last 3 holes to finish the day at +1. Didn't expect that to happen.

well now he is 8 back at +4 this is not looking like a good masters

He's just toying with people. He's heard the whispers that it's boring to watch Tiger dominate, and he's setting up the biggest comback in Masters history to give people something to remember.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

He's just toying with people. He's heard the whispers that it's boring to watch Tiger dominate, and he's setting up the biggest comback in Masters history to give people something to remember.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

he was at +5 and now at +3 with the chance to get to +2, which would be huge

The masters will be good even if Tiger isn't near the final pairing on Sunday. He will make a charge you can pretty much be garaunteed that. I have a big issue with him though. Actually an issue with his caddie. I have never been a big Steve Williams fan. I think he is a bit too much of a yes man for Tiger. At some point he needs to stop being a buddy to Tiger and insist on some different club choices. Tiger is swinging way to hard right now. He is chosing clubs that aren't right for his shots. The reads Tiger is getting aren't as keen as they have been in the past. Steve Williams and Tiger need to step it up.

And as I look back at the leaderboard Tiger is back to +3. Six off the lead, he is still very much in it.

Archived