Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CJ...Honest answers only

ThePreciating

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

There is no logic in the assumption that because we have ignored it for too long we now MUST take a D-lineman in round 1.

First off, not just round 1 but day one(rounds 1-3)

So just when do you start correcting a mistake?? I mean every year it's the same thing:

"We have no pass rush from the front four. We should draft a Dlineman this year but that wr,s,te etc prospect is awesome, we can wait another year.."

And that's been the thought process here and in Ashburn for ten years now.

I mean, you have to start somewhere,right?

First off, not just round 1 but day one(rounds 1-3)

So just when do you start correcting a mistake?? I mean every year it's the same thing:

"We have no pass rush from the front four. We should draft a Dlineman this year but that wr,s,te etc prospect is awesome, we can wait another year.."

And that's been the thought process here and in Ashburn for ten years now.

I mean, you have to start somewhere,right?

Yes certainly you do, but you don't pass up the opportunity to get the guy who fills another need so completely.

The last three years I was on your side. I would be this year too if not for one thing. Calvin freaking Johnson. He is just that good, and none of the Defensive players can hold a candle to him.

I do not want to trade up for CJ. And I watched more than 3 GT games last year. Yes he is a beast and is going to be great, but our problems with recievers had to do with a QB that could not throw down field for half of the season. Not the reciever's fault. Now that Jason is at the helm, our recievers that we have should shine. Plus we still have Mike Espy to make the regular squad.

Yes certainly you do, but you don't pass up the opportunity to get the guy who fills another need so completely.

The last three years I was on your side. I would be this year too if not for one thing. Calvin freaking Johnson. He is just that good, and none of the Defensive players can hold a candle to him.

So our offense would be amazing, but that really wasn't the problem. I mean, the offense started to really get it together towards the end of the season, and there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to continue. The defense, however, showed no improvement. They'd be great against a couple teams and then they'd just fall apart completely. We've addressed the DBs, LBs, and now we have to address the DL situation. If we don't, our defense won't make the jump necessary to be a playoff team. Think about who we have. Carter seemed to come around, hopefully he'll be getting a sack every game like he started doing, but other than that?

So our offense would be amazing, but that really wasn't the problem. I mean, the offense started to really get it together towards the end of the season, and there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to continue. The defense, however, showed no improvement. They'd be great against a couple teams and then they'd just fall apart completely. We've addressed the DBs, LBs, and now we have to address the DL situation. If we don't, our defense won't make the jump necessary to be a playoff team. Think about who we have. Carter seemed to come around, hopefully he'll be getting a sack every game like he started doing, but other than that?

We have yet to tap the most talented pool of talent ever in the universe EVER! THE CFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :doh:

I have thought about it long and hard, and while I initially believed as you do that D-line was the best option, I have come to the realisation that it is not the best way to help the team long term, at least it isn't given our options this year.

Everyone talks about how poor our line play was last year, but they fail to place any of the blame for that on the secondary and LB corps. Most of the lack of preassure was due to secondary issues, not line issues. Don't believe me? Go back and watch the games if you can. You will.

This line is good enough to be successfull without any additions. They are just as good as the 2004 lineup, if not slightly better. Did we have great play from our D-line in 2004? Not really, we had one dominant player and three lackluster but solid guys, especially the DE's were not very impressive at all. It didn't prove to be a crippling weakness, as that was an extremely good defense. The defense will be much better this year than last, even without any further personnel improvements.

Also, why is it so important to make the playoffs this year? My thinking is more long term, not based on this coming season. Of course I'd like the team to be good this year, but I would be willing to sacrifice a year in order to be in a position to win more games down the road.

We could use some help on the D-line, certainly we could, but fixing that perceived weakness is the instant gratification route. I know I will get reamed for that statement, but I stand by it. Drafting a defensive lineman is an attempt at the easy way out, not a long term fix. Unfortunately everyone sees it as just the opposite, thinking "we must build through the lines" and not taking stock of the overall situation. In a different year, you might be right, but not this year. It's not about the needs but the combination of the neads and who is available to fill them.

This is probably the best and most articulate analysis of the Calvin Johnson situation that I've read on this board. I only quoted one paragraph because it was so long but I see the situation very much like you do. This could have been its own thread. :paranoid: :)

Biggest issue is we have very little to offer in a trade up situation without hurting the teams next years picks. If we had 2nd & 3rd this year then we could possible trade up. Only other options would be giving up star players such as betts springs. I doubt anyone would take Lloyd this season as he would appear to be a risk from both a production stand point and ego issues.

This is probably the best and most articulate analysis of the Calvin Johnson situation that I've read on this board. I only quoted one paragraph because it was so long but I see the situation very much like you do. This could have been its own thread. :paranoid: :)

I'm glad someone at least sees the logic in my thinking.

I thought about posting this as a new thread, simply because of the length, but the last thing extremeskins needs is another thread.

There is certainly logic in other methods as well, particularly the folks who simply think we don't have the ammo to get CJ because others have more juice to throw his way. But, if we can do so within reason, I do think now is the right time to trade up.

How does CJ compare to Randy Moss? Wouldn't it be easier to get Moss instead? I think the attitude problems are gone now.

He's slightly bigger and stronger, just as fast and has the same hands and ability to adjust to the ball in the air, but is much younger, a much better blocker, and and infinatly better person and teammate.

Just say no to Randy.

I'm glad someone at least sees the logic in my thinking.

I thought about posting this as a new thread, simply because of the length, but the last thing extremeskins needs is another thread.

There is certainly logic in other methods as well, particularly the folks who simply think we don't have the ammo to get CJ because others have more juice to throw his way. But, if we can do so within reason, I do think now is the right time to trade up.

I think so too. Unfortunately, we've lost a lot of this year's picks and we can't really afford to lose anyone productive IMO. But Snyder and Gibbs always find a way to work their magic and if they really want CJ, I think they will get him.

I've watched every single GT game CJ has played in. I have a man crush on him. I would like to see the skins trade up for him. There's only one problem, it ain't gonna happen. (a) God doesn't love me (B) the front office doesn't have the gonads to do it, and that's a pretty smart play.

Ok, yes, I've seen a few GT games and this guy is a beast, at least in college. He looks as close the a sure thing as there has been. But that has been said about a lot of players coming out of college. And it wasn't said about a lot of players who turned out to be what CJ is projected to be. Either way, I don't want him on the Skins at all!

Archived