Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McShay, Skins draft, Briggs, from a few minutes ago (well, now, from many hours ago)

Skinsinparadise

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=15160

Marc (Malden, MA): As a long time Redskins fan, I hate the idea of trading the #6 pick for Lance Briggs. They don't need help at LB and trading out of #6 only makes sense if you're moving to the middle of round 1 and getting additional picks.

sn2.gifTodd McShay: (12:43 PM ET ) I agree, Marc. Briggs is obviously a very good player, but I think it helps a lot playing with his supporting cast -- Urlacher, DT Harris, DE Ogunleye, etc. The 'Skins hate drafting. I don't get it. They can sit at No. 6 and get the best defensive player in this year's draft if they want. I'd like to see them take DE Gaines Adams to improve their horrid pass rush (19 sacks) from a year ago.

Markus: (Seattle, WA):: Since it is a minor "need" position, regardless of the Rogers "bust" and M. Williams uncertainty, if you were in the GM Chair in Detroit would you pick Calvin Johnson at #2?

sn2.gifTodd McShay: (12:45 PM ET ) I hate drafting WR's that high b/c they've been so unpredictable recently. But I think Calvin Johnson is special. So, to answer your question, yes. I would take CJ over any other player in this draft. Fortunately for me, I'm not Matt Millen and I don't need to make that decision having missed on two of the last three first-round WR's (Charles Rogers and Mike Williams) I've drafted.

Robbie (Chicago): Well Todd if they do make the trade, what should the Bears do with the 6th pick?

sn2.gifTodd McShay: (12:49 PM ET ) I'm not a "scoop guy" but according to Mort and Clayton, it doesn't sound like it's going to happen. But, hypothetically, I think it's a tough spot for Chicago at No. 6. They obviously can afford to take the best available player, but there won't be a great value at their biggest positions of need -- TE, DT, WR. I think Amobi Okoye is a good fit because he is athletic enough to play in their one-gap scheme, so he's the player I would take. It's too high for any of the other WR's and it's way too high for TE Greg Olsen. Okoye is a bit of a reach, but not by much.

I really wish these expert mockers would stop turning us into the Colts Part Deux. If Adams became a regular player for us, I think we'd have the weakest run defense in the NFC. He's a good player, just not for us, regardless of how many sacks we had last year.

I really wish these expert mockers would stop turning us into the Colts Part Deux. If Adams became a regular player for us, I think we'd have the weakest run defense in the NFC. He's a good player, just not for us, regardless of how many sacks we had last year.

If not Adams who would you draft? By the way he's either bigger or the same size as Ware, Strahan, Umenyiora, Kearse, Kiwuanuka. I hear you about the tweeners but it would have to mean that you think that the Eagles and Giants DEs are a bunch of tweeners, if so, cool enough.

If not Adams who would you draft? By the way he's either bigger or the same size as Ware, Strahan, Umenyiora, Kearse, Kiwuanuka. I hear you about the tweeners but it would have to mean that you think that the Eagles and Giants DEs are a bunch of tweeners, if so, cool enough.

Well, honestly, it's not the size that bothers me. Size matters and all, as you and I both know my friend, but with Adams it's more his style of play. He's not the sort of player who's adept at getting leverage, or anchoring against the run, or even maintaining the edge. He's a pure pass-rusher, one of these Freeney type guys who will line up wide and sacrifice run lanes to get upfield. That results in more sacks, to be sure, but it also results in huge rushing totals against, especially when we'd be relying on undersized guys with questionable run defense skills at other spots on the DL (particularly Carter but also Golston).

As far as who I'd pick, it's a tough call, and I'd love to trade down to make the choice easier. But if I had to pick one of the top 5 DL, I'd go with Okoye. He's strong against the run, and I think he could be a 6+ sack DT, which is a VERY valuable commodity. It would leave us a hole at DE still, but I think Okoye is a better prospect than the DEs. Anderson and Carriker would be interest me, though, as would Branch...

As far as who I'd pick, it's a tough call, and I'd love to trade down to make the choice easier. But if I had to pick one of the top 5 DL, I'd go with Okoye. He's strong against the run, and I think he could be a 6+ sack DT, which is a VERY valuable commodity. It would leave us a hole at DE still, but I think Okoye is a better prospect than the DEs. Anderson and Carriker would be interest me, though, as would Branch...

I wouldn't mind Okoye. Agree it might be a little reach at #6. But would love to trade down. Not in love with Adams and I gather neither are the Skins. Seems like the only defensive player at the moment who is given sure fire stud status is Landry.

If we take any DE, it should be Carriker or Okoye, because to get these guys we'd also be trading down and adding a later pick. I think both are better than Adams, not to mention Okoye will be having his best years when the other DEs are reaching the age of 28-29.

That's a good point yeah Okoye's age makes him a great prospect, assuming he fulfills his potential. He could still at his age, get taller.

Marc From MA... What??? We don't need help at the LB position??? Did you watch any games last year?? Holdman?? Marshall?? Outside of #53 we have no proven LB's...

They have address LB - brought Fletcher in for MLB which slides Marshall back outside where he belongs and Rocky is an OLB too.

Trading down for Briggs is a mistake if DT isn't addressed.

I love the guys who want a DE when the center of our line is getting manhandled...

Branch or Okoye please - if they trade down, try and get Carricker and Tyler

They have address LB - brought Fletcher in for MLB which slides Marshall back outside where he belongs and Rocky is an OLB too.

Exactly. By getting Fletcher on board they fixed both questionable LB spots with one signing. WLB may still be a bit of questions mark, with Marshall not having played there recently and Rocky still unproven, but I like this LB corps much, much pbetter than last years.

I was a big Branch fan prior to the Combine/workouts, but he may very well prove to be the classic underachiever.

The more I learn about Okoye, the more I like him. #6 may a a few spots higher than where he projects, but DT is still a bigger need position for us than DE, imo.

I just think it's funny how Branch isn't even mentioned anymore and he just might be the one that we end up picking.

I pray that's true. I'm hopeful that somehow we combine landing by far this draft's elite 2 gap DT, not to mention a completely unique athlete for his size and skill set, and in the process perhaps trade down a few spots to add another #2 pick. That would be ideal, IMO. Maybe the guy who is completely under the radar and unmentioned by our F.O. brass is the one we are astutely targetting (though I have my serious doubts). Branch, once developed, would leave us 1 future top pick on a LDE away from having a dominant, young DL for the future.

Trading down for Briggs is a mistake if DT isn't addressed.

I love the guys who want a DE when the center of our line is getting manhandled...

Branch or Okoye please - if they trade down, try and get Carricker and Tyler

I'm a season ticketholder sitting 18 rows from the field, on the 40 yardline... and I watched the Giants OL and Tiki (and for that matter numerous far lesser rush OLs and RBs) carve up our DL to the point where the first contact often came from a DB 7-8 yards downfield on seemingly every carry (4.5ypc on the year says it all, especially when added to our non-existant pass rush, penetration or pressure). And I can *promise* you that it had little or nothing to do with our mediocre LB play (as subpar as it was), and everything to do with a DL that gets manhandled in every facet of the game in trenches on EVERY snap.

I'm a season ticketholder sitting 18 rows from the field, on the 40 yardline... and I watched the Giants OL and Tiki (and for that matter numerous far lesser rush OLs and RBs) carve up our DL to the point where the first contact often came from a DB 7-8 yards downfield on seemingly every carry (4.5ypc on the year says it all, especially when added to our non-existant pass rush, penetration or pressure). And I can *promise* you that it had little or nothing to do with our mediocre LB play (as subpar as it was), and everything to do with a DL that gets manhandled in every facet of the game in trenches on EVERY snap.

Yep. I remember watching our linebackers getting mauled by guards five yards downfield. Our defensive line put up about as much resistance as a girl on prom night. Put Briggs in that equation and NOTHING CHANGES. He's a wonderful linebacker, but he'd need a Superman cape to help.

We can't continue to ignore the defensive line. If there's no one worth the pick at #6, trade down. But you can't just add another linebacker to this equation and think anything will change in the long term. Our defensive line will be fine early in the season, but once Big Joe and Griffin get worn down by age and injury by about week 8, it's gonna get ugly. Very ugly.

If we take any DE, it should be Carriker or Okoye, because to get these guys we'd also be trading down and adding a later pick.

I think both are better than Adams, not to mention Okoye will be having his best years when the other DEs are reaching the age of 28-29.

Okoye is a DT not a DE.

Marc From MA... What??? We don't need help at the LB position??? Did you watch any games last year?? Holdman?? Marshall?? Outside of #53 we have no proven LB's...

The reason they looked bad was because our D-line as a whole was pretty bad. Its called a domino effect.

Or... if you cut the head off the serpent... the body dies.

Anderson is physically challenged?? He's 6'6 288 pounds and runs a 4.74 and had like 13 sacks...every prospect has negatives coming out of college, remember the sh** storm that vince young endured before the draft? All the d-line players in the top 15 (adams, branch, anderson, carriker, okoye) are talented and are going to be good players regardless of the nit picking that scouts do. There is not ONE player in the whole draft that has NO flaws. #6 needs to be anderson or branch, stop the run and give our line backers that we already have some damn help.

Did crack become legal!?

Anderson is physically challenged?? He's 6'6 288 pounds and runs a 4.74 and had like 13 sacks...every prospect has negatives coming out of college, remember the sh** storm that vince young endured before the draft? All the d-line players in the top 15 (adams, branch, anderson, carriker, okoye) are talented and are going to be good players regardless of the nit picking that scouts do. There is not ONE player in the whole draft that has NO flaws. #6 needs to be anderson or branch, stop the run and give our line backers that we already have some damn help.

I agree,

All of these players have some type of flaw, the scouts are gonna expose those flaws. But that doesnt mean that come Sunday afternoon, these guys aren't all gonna be beast, and have great NFL careers. Whoever we draft, they are gonna go through a professional NFL football training camp. They are gonna be working on techniques with coaches, and hitting the gym on a daily basis. Learning from veteran teammates. A lot of these flaws are not that vital that they cant be fixed. And even if some of those flaws cant be completely removed, these guys are talented in other areas in their game, and a lot of time those talents can help override their flaws. Its all about the player and how much he wants to be the best. And if you even have a chance at being drafted period, you have to be one of the greatest players in country, let alone being drafted in the first round or in the top 10. To be rated that high, somewhere in your career of playing football, you had to develope something special about yourself that separated you from the other players. You had to have the will and the drive and determination to make it this far. The players that really want it and put in the time and effort, and bringing their absolute best on every play, we become primetime players, or very productive players, who eventually will start, and make names for themselves in this league. But its all about the players character, and how bad they want it. So dont be surprised to see Branch drop far down, eventually get signed, and then go into training camp with a chip on his sholder, work on his weakness, then come and have a great year. He has the physical talent, but if he really wants it, and makes the best of his training camp, he can be a monster. Not saying he will, and not saying Im a big Branch fan. Im just using him as an example.

I just wish 04/28 would get here. My head hurts. My eyes are watering. I can't stand it anymore.

I just wan to get past this weekend without anything happening.

I am extremly torn. I would like to get Anderson or Caricker ( I think Anderson or Branch will be fallers this year) because it is not Carter we need to replace but Wynn/Daniels where the real age is and remember the Skins under Gibbs try and draft at least a year ahead of need so any rookie would be at best splitting time with a vet.

What would be ideal is if we can fall back a few spots and pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick and just spend the acquired draft picks on D and O line men. I am not as sure we need the "elite" 2 Gap DT but rather a wide boy who can clogg the line and let Griffin and Golsten ( i think he would be more effective rotating in for not along side Griffin) and I am sure that one of those could b picked up later.

Just a thought

I just wish 04/28 would get here. My head hurts. My eyes are watering. I can't stand it anymore.

I just want to get past this weekend without anything happening.

I am extremly torn. I would like to get Anderson or Caricker ( I think Anderson or Branch will be fallers this year) because it is not Carter we need to replace but Wynn/Daniels where the real age is and remember the Skins under Gibbs try and draft at least a year ahead of need so any rookie would be at best splitting time with a vet.

What would be ideal is if we can fall back a few spots and pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick and just spend the acquired draft picks on D and O line men. I am not as sure we need the "elite" 2 Gap DT but rather a wide boy who can clogg the line and let Griffin and Golsten ( i think he would be more effective rotating in for not along side Griffin) and I am sure that one of those could b picked up later.

Just a thought

Adams is another Carter; Anderson is physically challenged; Branch is lazy ... they all have holes ... the Skins must move outtta 6 ... and they will. Either Briggs or Jared Allen.

Justin Smith, Justin Smith

I think he could be had and we could still get the #18 pick.

Archived