Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Profootball talk, Skins Draft Needs, new

Skinsinparadise

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2007RedskinsDraftNeeds.htm

Alas, Redskins fans. In response to several e-mails that we have received from the ranks of D.C. devotees, we've done some research. And we've learned that a team cannot select a new front office in the draft.

So with that specific option off of the table, let's consider what the 'Skins should do with their smattering of picks -- a first-rounder, a fifth-rounder, a sixth-rounder, and a seventh-rounder.

With the sixth overall pick in round one, the 'Skins would be wise to add a playmaking defensive end, like Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson.

But, surely, the Redskins are tempted to try to make a play for an offensive playmaker. There are rumors of a fixation on receiver Calvin Johnson and/or quarterback JaMarcus Russell, even though the team supposedly has all of the pass-catchers that it needs, along with a pass-thrower of the supposed present and future in Jason Campbell.

When it comes down to it, we simply believe that owner Dan Snyder can't resist the urge to make a big splash. His team wisely didn't go bonkos (for a change) in free agency, so the only remaining way to shake things up off of the field in early 2007 is to make a move to the upper reaches of round one.

The problem, however, is that the 'Skins don't have much to offer in order to get there. They signed running back Ladell Betts to a contract that pays him like the backup he chooses to be; if they were to opt to toss Betts in with an offer to the Browns, they could possibly get up to No. 3.

But our hunch is that the Redskins simply don't have enough to make a deal, and that they'll either use the No. 6 pick or trade down from it. And if the 'Skins use their pick, it will likely be either Adams or Anderson.

Another area of need is safety, where Troy Vincent has been released and Adam Archuleta has been traded. The only problem? With no picks in rounds two, three, or four, the chances of finding a much-needed, game-ready free safety on day two of the draft are slim. For now, new arrival Omar Stoutmire will have to be the guy across from Sean Taylor.

With Shawn Springs close to being out the door, the 'Skins also would like another cornerback. They've reunited with Fred Smoot, and remain interested in landing Dre' Bly. If they can't get Bly, they might want to use a pick on a cover man.

On offense, the 'Skins need a replacement for left guard Derrick Dockery, who left via free agency. They wanted to land Leonard Davis, and settled for re-signing Todd Wade.

The offensive line generally lacks depth, so look for the 'Skins to try to scalp one or more on day two of the draft.

The Redskins also would be wise to add a developmental quarterback, in the event that they conclude that Jason Campbell isn't the long-term answer at the position. (Our guess is that they already have.)

The Redskins also would be wise to add a developmental quarterback, in the event that they conclude that Jason Campbell isn't the long-term answer at the position. (Our guess is that they already have.)

Ugh, if a potential quaterback controversy is looming in the future because of lack of patience; I do not know what I will do with myself :doh:

Edit: I realized it was Profootball talk so I will just laugh at this instead :laugh:

are you ****ing kidding me? and to think I read his site daily... smh

Another area of need is safety, where Troy Vincent has been released and Adam Archuleta has been traded. The only problem? With no picks in rounds two, three, or four, the chances of finding a much-needed, game-ready free safety on day two of the draft are slim. For now, new arrival Omar Stoutmire will have to be the guy across from Sean Taylor.

[/left]

We have PP at SS and ST at FS. What's this guy talking about? Stoutmire is merely depth.

I love the fact that if we don't try and make a splash in the draft, and do something logical, it will be due to the fact that we didn't have picks. Honestly there will be no love for us, and I can understand.

Why didn't we make a splash in free agency? No money, no draft picks.

Why didn't we make a splash in the draft? No draft picks to trade... Ahhh, but we do have all or most of next years.

Honestly, I hope this is us showing restraint, not because of the lack of ammo, but because we have learned from our mistakes. I guess only next year will tell the full story, when we have a full draft and more salary cap room....

Alas, Redskins fans. In response to several e-mails that we have received from the ranks of D.C. devotees, we've done some research. And we've learned that a team cannot select a new front office in the draft.

After reading this opening line, I have no desire to read anything more from this article, its author, or the organization that sponsors it.

What the hell is this guy talking about?

All we have is stoutmire? We "wanted to sign" Leonard Davis? Like hell. The only thing we wanted to do was drive up his price.

I can't stand these hacks who don't know their subjects.

But hey, making fun of our FO is everyone's hobby.

Meanwhile, the beloved Patriots go on a spending spree and no one says a peep.

It's always heartwarming to me to know that any retard with internet access can support himself writing about the NFL. Kudos to PFT.

As for the facts, the Redskins since Gibbs returned have been so fixated on making a splash with offensive playmakers that they drafted Sean Taylor over Kellen Winslow II in 2004; Carlos Rogers over Mike Williams in 2005; and Rocky McIntosh over Sinorice Moss and Maurice Jones-Drew in 2006. I'd say they've got us nailed.

Quote: Launched in November 2001, Profootballtalk.com has only one objective -- to inform and to entertain. (Okay, we have two objectives.)

LOOKS LIKE THEY MISSED BOTH OBJECTIVES. THIS IS LIKE LISTENING TO A COUPLE OF BARFLYS. WAIT A MINUTE, THE BARFLYS ACTUALLY WATCH FOOTBALL.

PFT is usually a decent enough site for entertaining (though not always - or even often - correct) rumors and news. I actually really enjoy the writing on the site, and read it regularly. However, I've never been able to figure out why the site treats the 'Skins so poorly. It often seems like the head writer has some sort of grudge against 'em. It's a hell of a shame.

excuse me, but when was the last time we took an impact offensive player in the draft. We would have to go back to the Norvall years when they drafted two impact offensive players in Shuler and Westbrook. How did that turn out? Oh, Gibbs also tried this when he drafted Desmond Howard. So, where is PFT getting their sources......they are just making them up. Do real research and then maybe you'll get the credibility....until then.

Since 2000 this is whom the Redskins have taken in the first round

2000 Arrington and Samuel's

2001 Rod Gardner

2002 Ramsey

2003 #1 Traded to the Jets for Coles

2004 Sean Taylor

2005 Rogers and Campbell

2006 unknown

So PFT, is unfounded when they think that Dan Snyder is going to go after an impact offensive player. This won't happen as we are most likely to go after a defensive lineman as this position is by far the deepest in this draft.

I see nothing wrong with the opinion of this article since this is America and even if you are wrong you are allowed to have the opinion you wish.

I see some thing as being right on in the article.

He is right that we lost Dockery and didnt replace him and tried pretty much only for Davis.

He is right that we have a developmental QB.

His name is Bramlet.

Not much of one...but definitely developmental.

He is right that our FO stinks and needs replacing.

Some of his other extraneous facts are wrong but what he is trying to get across is correct for the most part.

Now we can complain also that there is no replacement for Patten....unless we draft CJ?.....Hmmmmm....that would make a splash......and like he infers The Dan is good at that.

Meanwhile, the beloved Patriots go on a spending spree and no one says a peep.

No one says a peep? I've heard a lot of people talking about it. Only thing is, everyone is in love with the Patriots so, of course, THEIR spending spree is the greatest thing ever.

Donte Stallworth is a career second banana with no history of being the kind of go-to guy the Patriots desperately need? No problem; Tom Brady will MAKE him into a #1.

Adalius Thomas is, also, a career second banana who only played every season of his career so far right next to one of the greatest middle linebackers to ever put on pads? I'm sure he'll be just as good in NE.

Kyle Brady is a 35-year-old career whodat whose best years, which weren't particularly great to begin with, are far behind him? He's a Patriot now, so I'm sure he's the missing piece.

I wouldn't be suprised if the Patriots didn't win the division next season.

But, surely, the Redskins are tempted to try to make a play for an offensive playmaker. There are rumors of a fixation on receiver Calvin Johnson and/or quarterback JaMarcus Russell, even though the team supposedly has all of the pass-catchers that it needs, along with a pass-thrower of the supposed present and future in Jason Campbell.

I would be absolutely stunned if either of these two scenarios happend.

There isn't alot of elite talent at guard this year, but there should be some good ones available in the second round. If we were able to trade down a couple of spots for a guy like Okoye or Carriker and pick up a second round pick I would be pretty happy. The oppurtunity for that to happen may never come though, especially with that Houston/Atlanta trade.

So with that specific option off of the table, let's consider what the 'Skins should do with their smattering of picks -- a first-rounder, a fifth-rounder, a sixth-rounder, and a seventh-rounder.

With the sixth overall pick in round one, the 'Skins would be wise to add a playmaking defensive end, like Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson.

When it comes down to it, we simply believe that owner Dan Snyder can't resist the urge to make a big splash. His team wisely didn't go bonkos (for a change) in free agency, so the only remaining way to shake things up off of the field in early 2007 is to make a move to the upper reaches of round one.

The problem, however, is that the 'Skins don't have much to offer in order to get there. They signed running back Ladell Betts to a contract that pays him like the backup he chooses to be; if they were to opt to toss Betts in with an offer to the Browns, they could possibly get up to No. 3.

But our hunch is that the Redskins simply don't have enough to make a deal, and that they'll either use the No. 6 pick or trade down from it. And if the 'Skins use their pick, it will likely be either Adams or Anderson.

With Shawn Springs close to being out the door, the 'Skins also would like another cornerback. They've reunited with Fred Smoot, and remain interested in landing Dre' Bly. If they can't get Bly, they might want to use a pick on a cover man.

On offense, the 'Skins need a replacement for left guard Derrick Dockery, who left via free agency. They wanted to land Leonard Davis, and settled for re-signing Todd Wade.

The offensive line generally lacks depth, so look for the 'Skins to try to scalp one or more on day two of the draft.

:laugh:

I'd be willing to bet anyone any amount of money that CJ goes in the top 3.

There would be nothing easy about it. Tampa desperately needs CJ don't they? So why would they trade him to us? Out of the kindness of their hearts? An argument could be made that they would bend us over a barrell and ask for even more than Cleveland or Detroit would since they actually need the guy.

This is becoming painful. It's football 101 to know that players never actually collect on the bloated contracts that are reported. Did Archuleta receive 30 mill from us? Of course not. Did Deion receive 50 mill? No.

Please learn about this between now and your next post or we can't continue this discussion. It would be like trying to teach calculus to a monkey.

I think if we trade up it will be with detroit, probably see betts and maybe Springs traded plus our first this year and a pick next year to move up to #2 if I were to guess.

Archived