Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Child molester, parents, indicted in slaying of Georgia boy

jpillian

Prosecutor wants death penalty for boy's slaying

POSTED: 2:23 p.m. EDT, March 21, 2007

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/21/missing.boy.ap/index.html

"SAVANNAH, Georgia (AP) -- A convicted child molester and his parents were indicted Wednesday on charges they molested and then murdered a 6-year-old neighbor boy, whose body was found last week in a trash bag dumped by a roadside.

Glynn County District Attorney Stephen D. Kelley said he will seek the death penalty against George David Edenfield, 32, who has a prior child molestation conviction from 1997, and his parents, David and Peggy Edenfield.

A friend of the Edenfield family, Donald Dale, was indicted on charges of concealing a body and tampering with evidence.

The boy, Christopher Michael Barrios, was missing for a week before police found his body last Thursday. The body was in a black trash bag dumped near a roadside about three miles from his home on the outskirts of Brunswick, a port city in southeastern Georgia.

"They deserve the worst, for them to torture my son like that, every last one of them," said Mike Barrios, Christopher's father.

Authorities have not released many details about the case, including how the child was killed or how long his abductors might have kept him alive. Other charges against the Edenfields include false imprisonment, cruelty to children and enticing a child for indecent purposes.

Police have described George David Edenfield as mentally slow, but not retarded and capable of understanding right from wrong.

Edenfield had to register as a sex offender in Georgia. He and his parents lived across the street from Christopher's grandmother and less than 600 feet from where the kindergartner met his school bus.

A Georgia law passed last year prohibits registered sex offenders from living within 1,000 feet of a school bus stop. That would have barred the younger Edenfield from living so close, but a pending lawsuit prompted a federal judge last year to block that provision from taking effect.

George David Edenfield pleaded guilty in 1997 to molesting two boys, ages 7 and 9. Prosecutors said he rubbed his clothed body "in a sexual manner" against the boys, who also were fully dressed. He was sentenced then to 10 years on probation.

His father pleaded guilty to incest in 1994. He was accused of having sex with an adult relative; the relatives was not his son.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed."

-----------------------------

It sure would be nice if we could give child molestors more than just probation. :doh:

In with the first expression of outrage and demand that all accused child molesters be summarily executed!

Serously though, that sucks. Every parent's worst nightmare.

Yeah, it's just a damn shame. The authorities had identified him as a child molestor -- and convicted him of a previous offense. Still weren't able to prevent him from hurting (and killing) another child.

1) I want to know what liberal weenie gruop brought a lawsuit against implementation of that bus stop law

2) These people need to be removed from the gene pool

3) If that were my son, my life would be over, because these pieces of **** would meet a slow death, hanging upside down in my basement with jumper cables attached to their nuts. Then I'd be the one in jail, but it would have been worth it

4) May God help the family thru this ordeal. I can't even imagine

Guest sith lord

Somebody is gonna get them before they're even executed. I'm usually against the death penalty, but in this case, I'm making an exception. Those lousy bas%^rds can rot in hell.

Somebody is gonna get them before they're even executed. I'm usually against the death penalty, but in this case, I'm making an exception. Those lousy bas%^rds can rot in hell.

Then you are not actually against the death penalty. I don't think death penalties should be issued liberally, but this is a good example of why we have it. It could have been worse or it might be worse, right now we only know about one murder, in which case there would be absolutely no doubt in my mind, killing scum like this = justice.

Yeah, it's just a damn shame. The authorities had identified him as a child molestor -- and convicted him of a previous offense. Still weren't able to prevent him from hurting (and killing) another child.
George David Edenfield pleaded guilty in 1997 to molesting two boys, ages 7 and 9. Prosecutors said he rubbed his clothed body "in a sexual manner" against the boys, who also were fully dressed. He was sentenced then to 10 years on probation.

I suspect one reason for the light sentence was the fact that it's tough to claim "rape" when both the rapist and victim are fully clothed.

1) I want to know what liberal weenie gruop brought a lawsuit against implementation of that bus stop law

Some liberal weenie group who has a problem with the government telling someone that "we've decided to put a bus stop near your house, therefore it's illegal for you to live in your own house"?

2) These people need to be removed from the gene pool

Agreed. (If they're guilty.)

Some liberal weenie group who has a problem with the government telling someone that "we've decided to put a bus stop near your house, therefore it's illegal for you to live in your own house"?

Good way of keeping perverts on the move. I should have thought of that last summer

FYI, one of problems with the "bus stop" laws (or the can't live within a mile of a school or chrch laws) rule is that such laws force our rural areas to take all the child molesters, since those are the only places where they can live legally.

I'm sorry, but a convicted sex offenders rights don't mean half a damn to me. I look at this like the "right" to vote. If you commit a felony, you lose that "right."

You commit a sex offense, you forfeit the "right" to have easy access to kidnap, molest, torture, murder and trash bag our kids. **** your rights.

I'm sorry, but a convicted sex offenders rights don't mean half a damn to me. I look at this like the "right" to vote. If you commit a felony, you lose that "right."

You commit a sex offense, you forfeit the "right" to have easy access to kidnap, molest, torture, murder and trash bag our kids. **** your rights.

So, you feel like pointing out exactly which poster on here has advocated people's right to rape, murder and torture? Or are you and that straw man having too much fun together?

(And let's just leave aside that whole thing about changing the penalty for a crime after the crime's been committed, and carried out. I seem to remember the Constitution saying something about that.)

While no one's got a problem with criminals being punished (I'm in favor of the death penalty for many cases.) I do have a problem when "child protection" laws do things like force people out of their existing homes simply because somebody moved into the house next door, or those that go from keeping pedophiles away from schools to making it illegal for them to live in the entire county.

(And frankly, as a practical matter, I see a problem with kicking somebody out of prison, and then making it illegal for him to set foot anywhere, and making it impossible for him to get a job, or to rent anything, or, basically, to live. All you're doing in that case is telling him to kill himself or to go underground and adopt a false ID. (Which, in turn, makes the whole "keeping track of him" thing impossible.))

So, you feel like pointing out exactly which poster on here has advocated people's right to rape, murder and torture? Or are you and that straw man having too much fun together?

(And let's just leave aside that whole thing about changing the penalty for a crime after the crime's been committed, and carried out. I seem to remember the Constitution saying something about that.)

While no one's got a problem with criminals being punished (I'm in favor of the death penalty for many cases.) I do have a problem when "child protection" laws do things like force people out of their existing homes simply because somebody moved into the house next door, or those that go from keeping pedophiles away from schools to making it illegal for them to live in the entire county.

(And frankly, as a practical matter, I see a problem with kicking somebody out of prison, and then making it illegal for him to set foot anywhere, and making it impossible for him to get a job, or to rent anything, or, basically, to live. All you're doing in that case is telling him to kill himself or to go underground and adopt a false ID. (Which, in turn, makes the whole "keeping track of him" thing impossible.))

Defense lawyer, huh?

Rational person.

Yes, letting your heart bleed for let's say a 45 year old man raping an innocent 6 year old boy is rational. :doh:

If you are that worried about where these animals live maybe you can use your home as a shelter. I'm also sure that you wouldn't mind if you had one living next door to entertain your kids, neices or nephews.

Archived