Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arch for a 6 rd pick (super mega-merged)

CPstretch

Trade Arch and bring back Smoot and Stoutmire.

I wonder if y'all are starting to finally understand my signature now....

Now to get rid of the POS Lloyd....

(This was a titanically stupid move to begin with, and the salvaging of it wasn't much better. My only hope out of all of this is that it teaches our FO and our fans a lesson: not everything we do is smart and wise, and blowing money because we can to game the cap is not intelligent. We do stupid stuff and our fans need to wake up and see that through their homer-glasses).

Hrrrmmmm a draft pick and we take no cap hit and offload well $25million off the books ... essentially what we have here is a do over ....people think we should have got more and I am sure Archuletta will be amazing with Smith in Chicargo but hell in th Redskins shoes I would keep whistling and head to the exit before anyone notices...

ok, i hear your point and its valid. And i won't deny that they screwed up big time last season. Actually i was one of their biggest critics. But all i'm saying is to give credit where credit is due.

Again, i still hold to the opinion that they should cut Vinny, the dude is useless. But, just concentrating on the moves this offseason and specifically the AA move was very good. Now if they happen to screw up the draft, then i will be on them for screwing up. But for fairness sake, i won't prejudge any decisions until they happen. I'm going to take a wait-and-see attitude for here on out.

fair enough....though you're missing one point...what is the plan for the cap space that has been freed up over the last month or so?

- strategic reserve?

- draft signings?

- new contracts for Cooley, Taylor?

where is the pressure coming from? what's the driver here?

Why is everyone complaining about only a 6th round pick?

He was going to be a June cut or the highest paid benchwarmer in NFL history.

Which would you rather have? We are lucky we have the 6th round pick, because the Bears could of waited and got him for nothing after he was cut.

If we got rid of him without taking a cap hit the deal is huge for us. The biggest problem with the Arculetta deal wasn't that he stank -- stuff happens -- teams have FA busts. It was that he stank and we were saddled with a HUGE bad contract for years that affected our salary cap. Heck I'd have been happy just getting rid of the contract, getting a pick too is a nice bonus. Yeah we screwed up by signing him but I think we are doing good damage control here. Wonder if we can pull that off with Lloyd, maybe SF takes him back, LOL

As to those that think that the Bears should have swallowed his huge contract for us, Archuletta restructure his deal for both teams, AND we should get a high draft pick too -- 3rd or 4th -- well I wish -- but doesn't that seem a bit unrealistic?

exactly!! And consider the fact that a similar thing happened with Lavar in NY, and no one is crying about it. FA busts happen all of the time, all over the league. Unfortunately, we've garnered the reputation (justifyably so) of being an organization that over pays for mediocre to average talent. Therefore, the magnifying glass will constantly be on us.

I'm loving this. While everyone here is crying about our FO and their bad decisions, they just freed up all kinds of cap space to pursue other FAs/re-sign key players. Who cares what we got from the Bears. It's amazing we got something.

The same people moaning about this move are the same ones who constantly complain about us having the "highest paid punt protector in history" on our team. Now we don't. Stop complaining, for the love of God. Please.

fair enough....though you're missing one point...what is the plan for the cap space that has been freed up over the last month or so?

- strategic reserve?

- draft signings?

That just it though we haven't really freed up that much space. We had the room to sign the primary target (Fletcher) create wiggle room if someone came free but no one has really been released . Wynn, Daniels, Patten all remain on the roster .

I am sorry to see him go in a way (Archuletta) becasue I thought he could have been good this time last year and it could have been a major inovation like the Buddy Ryan 46 defence but it didn't work ... We can now however turn the page.

- strategic reserve?

- draft signings?

Well again, good points. But the offseason isn't over yet. We still have the draft and the second wave of Free Agency on June 1. Personally, i would love all of your suggestions to materialize, but who am I? But I do know for sure that so far we have:

-Signed Smoot

-Signed Fletcher

-Not over pay to retain D. Dock.

-Re-signed Wade to fill in Docks spot

-Released the dead weight in AA and still got a conditional pick for him.

-Signed back Stoutmire.

You can't argue that SO FAR, they have made some very sound decisions, as uncharateristic as they may be.

I'll be honest, I'm split. I'm very happy that we did not take the cap hit and that hopefully Pierson will be back to play SS. However, AA should have been an impact player, a monster that should have propelled our defense. Instead, we scapegoat one player for Greg Williams inability to adjust, adapt his system to the players he wanted and asked for. GW, IMO, is the one to blame for AA just plain blowing it last year. We berate AA for being a bust, but yet what about the inability of our linebackers to make plays? What about the fact it took Carter 10 games to start remembering to provide a pass rush? How about Carlos Rodgers' stone hands? Springs' inability to stay healthy? Kenny Wright's innate ability to become someone's b*tch? Taylor's decision to decapitate someone and missing like the ball carrier is a matador?

And yet, we scold, berate, scapegoat, crucify AA, who by all rights was fooled by the FO just like we all were.

He should have been a monster, could have been. For our own stupidity and arrogance, we will watch him go to Chicago and tear it to pieces for a 6th round pick. What can we get in the 6th round again? Someone better then AA? I think not.

The only good thing about this is that we freed up salary. But make no mistake, our team got worse today, and unless we do something constructive, like keep Cooley and Taylor happy and life long Redskins... the FO bungled this one again.

Just my two cents, but that doesn't change the fact I'm still saying HTTR! :point2sky

Well again, good points. But the offseason isn't over yet. We still have the draft and the second wave of Free Agency on June 1. Personally, i would love all of your suggestions to materialize, but who am I? But I do know for sure that so far we have:

-Signed Smoot

-Signed Fletcher

-Not over pay to retain D. Dock.

-Re-signed Wade to fill in Docks spot

-Released the dead weight in AA and still got a conditional pick for him.

-Signed back Stoutmire.

You can't argue that SO FAR, they have made some very sound decisions, as uncharateristic as they may be.

agree that this has been a good off-season if one starts the marker at season's end.

- while the Smoot signing is ok I don't expect as much as some do

- stoutmire strikes me as a placeholder

we still seem to suffer a youth & talent deficit on defense.....big time. it's gonna take more than one year to fix this.

someone should start a thread speculating - based on what we have now - on how many places the d might jump in its rankings next season.

I'll be honest, I'm split. I'm very happy that we did not take the cap hit and that hopefully Pierson will be back to play SS. However, AA should have been an impact player, a monster that should have propelled our defense. Instead, we scapegoat one player for Greg Williams inability to adjust, adapt his system to the players he wanted and asked for. GW, IMO, is the one to blame for AA just plain blowing it last year. We berate AA for being a bust, but yet what about the inability of our linebackers to make plays? What about the fact it took Carter 10 games to start remembering to provide a pass rush? How about Carlos Rodgers' stone hands? Springs' inability to stay healthy? Kenny Wright's innate ability to become someone's b*tch? Taylor's decision to decapitate someone and missing like the ball carrier is a matador?

And yet, we scold, berate, scapegoat, crucify AA, who by all rights was fooled by the FO just like we all were.

He should have been a monster, could have been. For our own stupidity and arrogance, we will watch him go to Chicago and tear it to pieces for a 6th round pick. What can we get in the 6th round again? Someone better then AA? I think not.

The only good thing about this is that we freed up salary. But make no mistake, our team got worse today, and unless we do something constructive, like keep Cooley and Taylor happy and life long Redskins... the FO bungled this one again.

Just my two cents, but that doesn't change the fact I'm still saying HTTR! :point2sky

I think you may be giving AA a little too much credit. As good as he may be at blitzing and run support, i think that is where it stops. Even as a SS, you still have to possess the ability to cover on third down. This is what made him expendable in St. Louis, the fact that dude couldn't cover.

I agree, if he was used correctly, he would have been pretty solid for us. But consider that up until PP got hurt at the beginning of the season, AA was the back up. Why?, because he wasn't ready. He struggled with the defense, possibly because it was too complicated or it didn't suit his strengths. But, at his best, i doubt that he would have been a monster.

I'm loving this. While everyone here is crying about our FO and their bad decisions, they just freed up all kinds of cap space to pursue other FAs/re-sign key players. Who cares what we got from the Bears. It's amazing we got something.

The same people moaning about this move are the same ones who constantly complain about us having the "highest paid punt protector in history" on our team. Now we don't. Stop complaining, for the love of God. Please.

again...you are dead wrong cuz you aren't placing this in context.

the Skins signed this guy to a BIG contract. assuming they paid what at the time struck them as fair value...there was a reason, a set of expectations based on analysis and projection into a system. this was a massive, massive failure by the personnel dept and coaching staff. sweeping it away with "FAs sometimes don't work out" doesn't cut it. the team has to figure how their decision process was so fouled up...that is what is worrisome. not the money wasted - we've grown used to that.

...that is what is worrisome. not the money wasted - we've grown used to that.

I've grown used to players paying the franchise money for their release...it's happened twice here. I think that's incredibly good.

Can you imagine how teams around the league are trying to figure out how we do that?

again...you are dead wrong cuz you aren't placing this in context.

the Skins signed this guy to a BIG contract. assuming they paid what at the time struck them as fair value...there was a reason, a set of expectations based on analysis and projection into a system. this was a massive, massive failure by the scouting sept and coaching staff. sweeping it away with "FAs sometimes don't work out" doesn't cut it. the team has to figure how their decision process was so fouled up...that is what is worrisome. not the money wasted - we've gorwn used to that.

Al - thats entirely beside the point bro. What was done was done - thats the reality. You want to continue to pummel the front office for its mistakes, and thats fine - but it has no bearing on the decision made today.

AA was a Redskin. The choice was to keep him going into the 2007 season, or cut their losses. You can't argue this was a bad call in that context. If you want to continue to berate them for the original decision, thats fine. But recognizing his signing was, perhaps, a big mistake, it would only compound it not to make an aggressive effort to get something positive (using today's math, not last years).

You need to rid yourself of the bitterness to see this was the best outcome that we could have given the facts as they existed this morning.

agree that this has been a good off-season if one starts the marker at season's end.

- while the Smoot signing is ok I don't expect as much as some do

- stoutmire strikes me as a placeholder

we still seem to suffer a youth & talent deficit on defense.....big time. it's gonna take more than one year to fix this.

someone should start a thread speculating - based on what we have now - on how many places the d might jump in its rankings next season.

well, yeah i think my only concern is that we don't have the necessary youth at some of the key positions on defense, specifically at DE and LB. As much as I like Daniels and Wynn, I can't imagine having both of them on the roster for another season. Personally i can only tolerate one but not both, especially for the price. At LB, hopefully Rocky can finally come into his own. But there is no solid youth behind Fletch 32 and M. Washington 30. Unfortunately we don't have enough picks this year to address the necessary positions, so our only hope is that we retain all of our picks for 08.

Archived