Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meanwhile, on another planet ...

Sisyphus

Five stars.

As per the other thread on planet hunting, perhaps the innovators in the tailgate can devise a rating system:

Science and technology posts earn from one to five: :geek:

AFC posts earn: :koolaid:

Jumbo posts earn: :adoration

Sisyphus posts earn: :snore:

etc.

Someday we'll find Carl out there. :)

Useful link for videos

http://www.space.com/marsrover/spirit_archive.html

The changes in our understanding of ourselves and this universe are fun for me to contemplate. A likely future holds exponentially amazing gains from advancement in computing power, AI & AE, space exploration, genetics, nanotechnology, and neurobiology. The difference in knowledge between now and 100 years ago should pale compared to now and 100 years to the future.

Nice when once in a while things go BETTER than planned, ain't it? Gotta love it.
Except that in the case of space exploration, and especially unmanned space exploration, "once in a while" is like 99% of the time. Voyager 1 and 2 are still transmitting as they exit the solar system, the Hubble Space Telescope has been giving us spectacular pictures of deep space for over 15 years, Cassini is in orbit around Saturn, and we've still got those two rovers driving around Mars ... and that's not even mentioning the rest of our array of space telescopes and missions to capture solar wind and comet dust ... and all the successful missions of the 70's and 80's...

I think the problem is that almost too much of our unmanned space exploration has gone way better than planned, so it's just not news anymore.

Except that in the case of space exploration, and especially unmanned space exploration, "once in a while" is like 99% of the time. Voyager 1 and 2 are still transmitting as they exit the solar system, the Hubble Space Telescope has been giving us spectacular pictures of deep space for over 15 years, Cassini is in orbit around Saturn, and we've still got those two rovers driving around Mars ... and that's not even mentioning the rest of our array of space telescopes and missions to capture solar wind and comet dust ... and all the successful missions of the 70's and 80's...

I think the problem is that almost too much of our unmanned space exploration has gone way better than planned, so it's just not news anymore.

Stupid humans just take up payload space and massively increase the cost of the mission. :)

No question. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. My comment wasn't directed at the space program but at much modern life in general.

So then what NASA should really be doing to boost their public image is fail more. ;)

I think part of the problem is that these are unmanned missions and people don't care about machines as much as they do about people. Send some people to Mars and the public will care.

Actually, we could save money on landing gear for the martian lander, too.

I bet with a few more posts, we could make this voyage a fiscal reality.

Cutting to the chase ... if the mission explodes on the launch pad, you don't even need a rocket. :D

Archived