Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No one has brought this up!

Larry Brown #43

Here's a point I don't think anyone has brought up. Technically, Ramsey should not have been allowed to enter the game last night to throw that final pass. According to the Fox commentators during the game and the Post this morning, Matthews was the backup QB to Wuerffel yesterday. That would make Ramsey the "emergency third" QB. The emergency third QB is not permitted to enter the game unless both the starting QB and the backup QB sustain injuries. Having said that, Spurrier is a fool if he doesn't give Ramsey the ball starting next week.

Originally posted by TheKurp

Uh, I believe that rule only applies if the third quarterback was declared inactive before the game.

Obviously Ramsey was declared active for yesterday's game.

The way I understand it, you don't have a choice. The third QB is automatically inactive, unless the first two QBs get hurt. It's not a choice, it's a rule. That's the way I understand it. That's why the third QB is called the "emergency third" QB. He can only play in case of an emergency.

I thought the rule was that if the third stringer entered the game without the #1 and #2 guys being hurt, then the #3 guy had to finish the entire game, the #1 or #2 can't come back no matter what. Dunno maybe too much :high: has my memory not right on this.

I don't think the 'Skins should have been able to run that play, anyway. The Fox announcers were saying that there was supposed to be 10 seconds run off the clock becuase of the penalty on the play where Wuerffel spiked the ball.

But I don't think either situation, the missed run-off or the 3rd QB issue, would have been reviewable if the play had resulted in a TD.

Originally posted by flashback

I don't think the 'Skins should have been able to run that play, anyway. The Fox announcers were saying that there was supposed to be 10 seconds run off the clock becuase of the penalty on the play where Wuerffel spiked the ball.

But I don't think either situation, the missed run-off or the 3rd QB issue, would have been reviewable if the play had resulted in a TD.

True, and even if the play were reviewable I'm sure we would have gotten the extra point off before they could review it. But whether we would have made the extra point or not is a whole other story. :doh:

Originally posted by TennesseeCarl

I think there is such a rule and that we probably violated it. But why on earth is there a rule like that? What's it's point?

What is the league trying to achieve?

There's no rhyme or reason in the NFL. If you tackle a guy and then clap your hands, you can get flagged for taunting. But if you walk into the endzone like a f**king pea****, it's all good.

Originally posted by TennesseeCarl

I think there is such a rule and that we probably violated it. But why on earth is there a rule like that? What's it's point?

What is the league trying to achieve?

The only thing I can think of is it is a way to keep an extra active spot on the roster. That's all I can come up with.

Why the hell was Ramsey the 3rd anyway?

You guys are all right in a combination. The emergency QB can come in in the 4th quarter no matter what. It is before that that he has to come in only if the other two QB's go down or he has to finish the entire game. You all got it right, just had to put the pieces together.

I know this because the announcers on the Giants' game were talking about Garret being able to come in and do the holding when the Giants' kicking woes began. Garret is the emergency QB so they went through the rule of the emergency QB.

A possible reason for "Why?":

The folks in the stands (and the folks who bought TV ads) paid to see The Brett Favre Show, not his backup. (Now, I think a case could be made, that watching Favre's backup's backup, when he's up by 21, might be more interesting than watching Favre when he's up by 35. And I think the league would benefit from anything that helps teams grow more QBs. But I think that's why there's a rule: people paid to see the stars).

I personally, don't see what the big hoopla over this is all about anyway. Its the official's responsibility for enforcing "the rules" and we all know they haven't been exactly doing that with us this whole year anyway. :rolleyes: The way I see it, is that its about time the officials show a bit more leniency towards us in those little things. Its not like it mattered anyway. The outcome is still the same. :gus:

Archived