Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trading Future Picks...Again

RIDETHEWALRUS

We have noticably avoided conversation regarding a recent Redskin tradition that quite frankly is a very real possibility.

There is consensus on this board that we need another DT, DE, and G. There is also a fairly strong consensus that free agency is not the answer to any of these needs.

There is no consensus regarding whether we should trade down from 6 to try and get extra picks to address these needs or if we should simply draft at 6 and hope everything works out.

The most logical solution however would be to once again trade a pick from next year. The D-line has an amazing amount of talent and some big-time potential this year. Disposing of a future pick would allow us to acquire Branch and a project DE in the third (Ikaikallama Francis looks quite interesting)http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/ikaikaalamafrancis.html

Or to say Pick up Adams or Anderson and still draft Tank Tyler in the mid second.

For that matter one of the two best guards this year are likely to be around in the mid 2nd.

It doesn't matter what we do with 6, but if we want more picks now it is very easy to sacrifice a few later.

P.S. The search function is not working right now, so if this has in fact been discussed, my bad.

I agree with you. I see the Skins trading a future pick next year to get an additional player in the draft - probably in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Am I against it? I don't know. I'll reserve judgment until I see who we get. You can't always assume that trading away future draft picks is bad for the team; sometimes it is a good thing.

I'd say we made out pretty well drafting a QB one year earlier than everyone thought we should have, and using that head start to get the young kid ready for the NFL - and according to the draft value chart, we got the better end of the deal.

Now trading high draft picks for players who are only going to be here for a year has got to stop (ie Duckett).

I hate the idea of doing this again, because future draft pick values are diminished. You trade too much to get instant gratification. Just puts us in the same position next year, having to scramble to find ways to attain more draft choices.

My solution is simple. Bite the bullet this year.

Draft either Branch or Anderson in this draft. Find a veteran short term solution to fill in at Guard for this year.

Then next year, with our first and second round choices take a DT or DE (whichever wasn't filled this year) and a Guard.

We gave up too much for McIntosh and Campbell. The trend needs to stop.

I agree with you. I see the Skins trading a future pick next year to get an additional player in the draft - probably in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Am I against it? I don't know. I'll reserve judgment until I see who we get. You can't always assume that trading away future draft picks is bad for the team; sometimes it is a good thing.

I'd say we made out pretty well drafting a QB one year earlier than everyone thought we should have, and using that head start to get the young kid ready for the NFL - and according to the draft value chart, we got the better end of the deal.

Now trading high draft picks for players who are only going to be here for a year has got to stop (ie Duckett).

I agree 100 percent. I can see us trading away a 2008 pick to shore up our D line, and like you said I'll take a wait-and-see approach before I start ****ing about it.

Right now, I'd say that the Campbell thing was a good idea, but again I want to see him play after using the offseason to work with the first team offense and establishing rapport with the receivers.

People who are against trading future picks are probaly employed by a retarded station like WTEM.

Of coure you do it. Unless you see yourself as the worst team in football. You can trade future picks every year. There will be a last year of football where you can not trade a future pick.

So, you see logic in giving up a 1st round choice next year for a 2nd rounder this year? To me, that's retarded.

I'll agree and trade future pics.. Only thing is if we were to trade our 1st rounder next year its basically valued as a 2nd this year and we should have to chip in more..

I would suggest the redskins trade future 2nds and 3rd to get up to the 2nd and 3rd round this year

So, you see logic in giving up a 1st round choice next year for a 2nd rounder this year? To me, that's retarded.

Why if we get young talent at our positions of need then next year we may not have a need.

How many players do we stand to lose via retirement and FA next year?

Why if we get young talent at our positions of need then next year we may not have a need.

There will always be a need. This team is old in spots, and without depth in others. Keep giving away our draft picks and they will have to continue to sign another team's garbage or castaways to fill the holes. And over pay them in the process.

How many players do we stand to lose via retirement and FA next year?

Add how many players will be cut due to salary cap ramifications? and How many players will become injured and have their positions filled by inadequate depth? to your list.

I believe we will do a combination of things in this draft because it is so strong in our areas of need.

a). If QB B.Quinn falls to us I think we trade #6 to [HOU] for #8 & #73.

B). The we trade #8 to [GB] for #16, & #47 so that they can jump Buffalo

to get RB M.Lynch. And we draft either DE A.Carriker, or DT A. Okoye.

c). I think we will Trade A. Archuleta, & '08 pick to [CHI] for pick #63

Giving us picks 1/16, 2/47, 2/63, 3/73

#16 A. Carriker DE Nebraska

#47 J. Blalock OG Texas

#63 B. Patrick TE Delaware

#73 D. Hughes CB California

I used a compilation of Ourlads scounting service, Mel Kiper, and Scouts.com for my research and projections. While some of you may see this as fantasy, let me say none of us really know where players will be drafted and this is as likely as any of the mocks I've seen.

There will always be a need. This team is old in spots, and without depth in others. Keep giving away our draft picks and they will have to continue to sign another team's garbage or castaways to fill the holes. And over pay them in the process.

Add how many players will be cut due to salary cap ramifications? and How many players will become injured and have their positions filled by inadequate depth? to your list.

So you trade to get more draft picks this year, and bring in the young guys and if you have extra you trim the older ones.

Injuries during the midseason are not filled through the draft.

No, no and no.

Say you want a guy available in the 2nd round and you don't have a 2nd round pick? You end up trading next years 1st, or a 2nd and 3rd. That is too expensive and drains your draft potential the next year. In other words, you mortgage your future, or only get half of what you pay for.

If you want more picks, trade down with what you already have, this way you can more often than not, come out ahead.

The only time you go the other way, is if you are either desperate, or you see a guy that falls in your lap, is so irresistable, you honestly believe he is worth your over-reaching for him, like Gibbs did with Jason Campbell. I happen to think that in Campbell's case, he was worth it, but you can't do that type of move every year.

Stop paying attention to WTEM. Draft picks never fill in mid season.

So you trade to get more draft picks this year, and bring in the young guys and if you have extra you trim the older ones.

Still don't see how trading next year's first rounder for a 2nd rounder this year is a good idea. You're getting a lesser talent by pulling off a desparate move. Overall it hurts the team.

Injuries during the midseason are not filled through the draft.

No kidding. The point is to fill your need for depth so you don't have to go scramble to fill the spot if the event occurs in the middle of the season. The depth would already be on the roster.

No, no and no.

Say you want a guy available in the 2nd round and you don't have a 2nd round pick? You end up trading next years 1st, or a 2nd and 3rd. That is too expensive and drains your draft potential the next year. In other words, you mortgage your future, or only get half of what you pay for.

If you want more picks, trade down with what you already have, this way you can more often than not, come out ahead.

The only time you go the other way, is if you are either desperate, or you see a guy that falls in your lap, is so irresistable, you honestly believe he is worth your over-reaching for him, like Gibbs did with Jason Campbell. I happen to think that in Campbell's case, he was worth it, but you can't do that type of move every year.

This year has such a great draft potiential that it may be an idea, espicially since so many players opted to be draft available, next year may be very slim.

I believe we will do a combination of things in this draft because it is so strong in our areas of need.

a). If QB B.Quinn falls to us I think we trade #6 to [HOU] for #8 & #73.

B). The we trade #8 to [GB] for #16, & #47 so that they can jump Buffalo

to get RB M.Lynch. And we draft either DE A.Carriker, or DT A. Okoye.

c). I think we will Trade A. Archuleta, & '08 pick to [CHI] for pick #63

Giving us picks 1/16, 2/47, 2/63, 3/73

#16 A. Carriker DE Nebraska

#47 J. Blalock OG Texas

#63 B. Patrick TE Delaware

#73 D. Hughes CB California

\

I used a compilation of Ourlads scounting service, Mel Kiper, and Scouts.com for my research and projections. While some of you may see this as fantasy, let me say none of us really know where players will be drafted and this is as likely as any of the mocks I've seen.

cool how you miss the 2nd biggest weakness on our team, DT.

This year has such a great draft potiential that it may be an idea, espicially since so many players opted to be draft available, next year may be very slim.

yup, if we think theres gonna be noone we really want next year, why even bother, trade the picks for this year, b/c there are a LOT of players we are interested in. the thing is, someone has to be willing to take them.

Still don't see how trading next year's first rounder for a 2nd rounder this year is a good idea. You're getting a lesser talent by pulling off a desparate move. Overall it hurts the team.

No kidding. The point is to fill your need for depth so you don't have to go scramble to fill the spot if the event occurs in the middle of the season. The depth would already be on the roster.

If you think next years talent is not going to be up to snuff then it is a good idea.

You get depth from lower rounds when you trade your high draft picks you may not need.

yup, if we think theres gonna be noone we really want next year, why even bother, trade the picks for this year, b/c there are a LOT of players we are interested in. the thing is, someone has to be willing to take them.

There are teams that feel stocked you would more than likely be willing.

If you think next years talent is not going to be up to snuff then it is a good idea.

It's too much of a gamble.

For instance. What if we end up with a top ten choice again next year? We would have given it up for a 2nd round draft choice in this year's draft. Where's the value in that?

A trade down in a deep draft to gain more picks would be a lot more responsible. And sane.

Archived