Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trading Future Picks...Again

RIDETHEWALRUS

It's too much of a gamble.

For instance. What if we end up with a top ten choice again next year? We would have given it up for a 2nd round draft choice in this year's draft. Where's the value in that?

A trade down in a deep draft to gain more picks would be a lot more responsible. And sane.

We better not end up with a top ten pick next year unless someone want to give us one for Springs :D

If next years top 10 are not as good as this years 32-63 pick then the value is in the player not in the value assigned to the pick

This year has such a great draft potiential that it may be an idea, espicially since so many players opted to be draft available, next year may be very slim.

Every year is like that. There is always players that are over-hyped, and players that fall down draft boards. But you never know until you see all the cards on the table right in front of you and you're on the clock.

Personally, I don't believe either Adams or Anderson are worth the 6th pick. I'd slide down to 12-16, and hopefully Okoye will still be there. I love that kids motor, wide open, non stop!

DL players seem to be in decent abundance this draft so I don't quite follow the logic of forfeiting a pick in 2008. Trading down could land us two quality DL in this upcoming draft. I would trade a future pick on someone like Jared Allen, a known commodity in a position most would agree we desperately need. I suppose I would still trade down in an effort to get more picks regardless.

How do you know he wouldn't of been there in the second? How many steps back has this team made since then? Would'nt it be nice to have that 3rd they gave up for Duckett?

Duckett is not the same as trading a future draft pick for a kid now, that was trading a pick for band aid.

Every year is like that. There is always players that are over-hyped, and players that fall down draft boards. But you never know until you see all the cards on the table right in front of you and you're on the clock.

Personally, I don't believe either Adams or Anderson are worth the 6th pick. I'd slide down to 12-16, and hopefully Okoye will still be there. I love that kids motor, wide open, non stop!

You slide down and then you try to slip in again at the first round and take care of any other need.

Duckett is not the same as trading a future draft pick for a kid now, that was trading a pick for band aid.

Still didn't answer my question. How do you know he wouldn't of been there in the second? Based on this thread title, I don't feel that I'm alone with the feeling that this FO has been too liberal with our past pics. Thats the reason we're in the position we're in.

By the way there are two pretty good QBs in this draft.

By the way, it's the same to me. The FO can't evaluate our own talent, they rather have someone else's. If they could, they would of saw that Betts is more than capable and could of kept the 3rd. We sure can use it this year!

By the way, it's the same to me. The FO can't evaluate our own talent, they rather have someone else's. If they could, they would of saw that Betts is more than capable and could of kept the 3rd. We sure can use it this year!

Personally I saw value in keeping Lumsden and Betts, I don't know why we were looking for a HB/FB hybrid.

I wouldn't. There should be great value sitting there in the 2nd round you just got for trading down.

If we can get a Stud at DT in the first that would be great, if we think none of our DEs are great outside Carter then we should try and get a DE stud to in the first round.

So, you see logic in giving up a 1st round choice next year for a 2nd rounder this year? To me, that's retarded.

I meantioned the idea of trading next years first about 2 weeks ago and got blasted. :laugh:

It all depends on what player is there. For instance if for some reason Carriker drops to the second round, I would trade next years first for him. To do it just to pick a DE (not one you are in love with) is idiotic.

If we can't get a decent trade down scenario on draft day I would be happy with Branch or okoye at six and trading next years first for carriker if he falls, or moses, johnson or any number of good DE's in this years draft. If we draft DT at six I fully expect it too happen. I would advise everyone else to accept it as well. We did nothing in FA to address the Dline. They are most likely counting on getting two impact rookies and getting a two gap tackle and a pass rushing DE are both pretty much necessities.

If we can get a Stud at DT in the first that would be great, if we think none of our DEs are great outside Carter then we should try and get a DE stud to in the first round.

I'd take Okoye if we trade down and he was there. If not, try to get Carricker or Moss at DE, then in the 2nd round we could go for Tank Tyler if he is still there, or fill a need at guard or corner.

We have noticably avoided conversation regarding a recent Redskin tradition that quite frankly is a very real possibility.

There is consensus on this board that we need another DT, DE, and G. There is also a fairly strong consensus that free agency is not the answer to any of these needs.

There is no consensus regarding whether we should trade down from 6 to try and get extra picks to address these needs or if we should simply draft at 6 and hope everything works out.

The most logical solution however would be to once again trade a pick from next year. The D-line has an amazing amount of talent and some big-time potential this year. Disposing of a future pick would allow us to acquire Branch and a project DE in the third (Ikaikallama Francis looks quite interesting)http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/ikaikaalamafrancis.html

Or to say Pick up Adams or Anderson and still draft Tank Tyler in the mid second.

For that matter one of the two best guards this year are likely to be around in the mid 2nd.

It doesn't matter what we do with 6, but if we want more picks now it is very easy to sacrifice a few later.

P.S. The search function is not working right now, so if this has in fact been discussed, my bad.

And you wonder why we DONT have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th this year? Because we did exactly what you are suggesting in the past. This is a perfect of example of hitting yourself in the face, and then wondering why you face hurts.

Then going back to hitting it. Not very smart.

Ether trade down, or draft at #6 and stand pat. Allow ourself to get out of the mess we've made for ourselves without continuing to paint ourselves in a corner.

And you wonder why we DONT have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th this year? Because we did exactly what you are suggesting in the past. This is a perfect of example of hitting yourself in the face, and then wondering why you face hurts.

Ether trade down, or draft at #6 and stand pat. Allow ourself to get out of the mess we've made for ourselves without continuing to paint ourselves in a corner.

That explains why Cerratto is so damn ugly:laugh:

I agree 100%.... Great point.

I'd take Okoye if we trade down and he was there. If not, try to get Carricker or Moss at DE, then in the 2nd round we could go for Tank Tyler if he is still there, or fill a need at guard or corner.

See I would use 3rd and 4th to address depth at guard and CB, I think we will trade and try and get a couple of 1st rounders and that is why we will not sign anymore FA until after the draft if we sign any at all.

If we knew the future, then we would never make a mistake. But I like Dana87's scenario. I would pull that trigger, if we could pick up those prospects. Realizing, of course, that we would be lucky if 2 out of the 4 players selected actually turned into decent starters.

Instead I would bite the bullet, and draft the best DE or DT available at #6. Stop mortgaging the future; do not trade a #1 next year for a #2 this year. Many of the key players are young; look at the long range future. Think like New England.

:helmet:

I'll agree and trade future pics.. Only thing is if we were to trade our 1st rounder next year its basically valued as a 2nd this year and we should have to chip in more..

I would suggest the redskins trade future 2nds and 3rd to get up to the 2nd and 3rd round this year

But to trade into this year's 2nd or 3rd round, you usually have to pay a premium and trade a future 1st or 2nd respectively. I'm not a big fan of trading future 1st day draft picks for current picks just because you get so little value.

I don't see the Redskins trading future picks. This has been the first time in awhile where we have been high in the first round, and in a great position to slide a few spots without losing any value. There would have to be a second or third round gem that slipped for us to mortgage future picks again when we are in such good shape to trade down for a few more picks in general.

Maybe there is a Chris Cooley out there Gibbs and Co. have their eye on as a must have. We will see.

I'm not wondering why we don't have one this year, I am wondering whether or not it is a good idea to target talent that is clearly needed now versus sitting on our laurels waiting for the next draft. Simply put, the talent at both DE and DT is exceptional this year with a few big time potential guys likely to be available in the 3rd and even the 4th.

We are a player or two from being a playoff team next year. It would make all the sense in the world to try and acquire said players.

The "mess we made for ourselves" is based more on injuries and a few bad signings than it is our propensity to wheel and deal with picks. A helathy Griff, Springs, Pierson, and Portis last year and we likely continue our run from the year before. Then again why draft their back-ups now and start getting 'em ready when we can give up already?

P.S. your analogy is terrible.

I agree. We need to just take our lumps this year and move on.

Well said! Enough of the Coach Gibbism - trade picks away! What the &*&*?! All th efree agents we got haven't amounted to much. Santana Moss is an exception ... but the others had been pan handlers ...:notworthy

I guess we could sign a veteran G ....if there were any quality G's left to sign right now.

I know we could trade or sign for a quality DE or DT but Abraham is gone for another 5 years or so and nothing is left right now...Wistrom would be great as a backup but so would wynn and daniels. Wistrom is better than both but not by alot. That still doesnt address the situation.

We lost Betts to Detroit and need backup help at TE. Our OL is aging and will need walkers when they get on the field next year.

I dont think we need all this help for no reason.

I think we need this much help because JG ignores the OL and modern offensive schemes, has no idea what it takes to GM in the cap era, and has a mancrush on GW and his defensive coaching... and Vinny is a deluded, spineless yesman.

I don't want to see the FO trade away future picks, but I would love to see any trade for our #6 pick or Springs for that matter to include picks in the 2008 draft (in rounds 1-3).

#6 for a #1 (mid to late teens), #2, and 2008 #2 would be great

I don't see the Redskins trading future picks. This has been the first time in awhile where we have been high in the first round, and in a great position to slide a few spots without losing any value. There would have to be a second or third round gem that slipped for us to mortgage future picks again when we are in such good shape to trade down for a few more picks in general.

Maybe there is a Chris Cooley out there Gibbs and Co. have their eye on as a must have. We will see.

:laugh: Dude, we have been in the top 10 of the last couple of drafts for the last 5 out of 6 years I believe.

Archived