Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins last 4 quarters?

dbtimsah

Young doesnt always mean good, old isn't always bad it is these general assumptions that meen nothing and add nothing to debate anoy me especially considering we get them popping up every 3 weeks or so.

Yes the average team is old but as every analyst will ask you what is the range and standard deviation of that mean, is it based on the staring roster or the entire team including the practice squad?

The Skins have the oldest average age in the NFL. Why was everyone shocked that they couldn't play for 4 quarters last year? Why are the players begging for "spa time" this offseason? One reason..."Their old!" (I bet Shawn Taylor laughed at these old, injury-prone redskins before they approached Gibbs). The fact is; Gibbs has chosen free agency over the draft. Now, we are suffering for those decision because we have aging, end-of-the-road players that can't play a full game! Please, let's get back to drafting talents like S. Taylor, C. Cooley, etc.

:2cents: -Bryan

"Not playing four quarters" was not the issue last season...and even if it were, thinking it's solely due to the players' ages is ridiculous. Rookies are far more likely to run out of steam during the season than the 30 year old vets are.

"Not playing four quarters" was not the issue last season...and even if it were, thinking it's solely due to the players' ages is ridiculous. Rookies are far more likely to run out of steam during the season than the 30 year old vets are.

I am 22 and get tired from walking accross the room. :D

Oh God, not another: "I know how to coach better than a Hall of Fame coach" thread. Last year had nothing to do with age as it did with injuries and not being on the same page.

Plus having no defensive depth and, of course, Brunell. :doh:

The problem is not that we haven't drafted much, we have chosen poorly when we do draft, and we chose FA's over the draft. Those are not the problems. The problem lies in where we seem to refuse to let go of the vets when they are no longer producing, siteing loss of leadership and they are not that bad. I have also been told that the older vets "may have something left" and other hogwash like that. Plain and simple if a older vet is not producing then cut his ass and get someone younger. You have the chance that the younger player may actually have a career year or you can build his skills instead of hoping the vet can return to the form he was at three years ago.

You're preaching to the choir, TFM. Monte Coleman is my favorite player of all time. Yes, I even put him above Darrell Green. (Although it's kind of a "which of your kids do you love the most" kind of thing.)

To me, what says the most about Coleman is that even at the end of his career, he came in primarily on passing downs, either as a speed rusher or in coverage. Yes, 36 or 37 years old and shutting down backs and tight ends.

It was easy to choked up seeing him carry that helmet high in the air on and off the field. It mattered to him that he was a Washington Redskin. God bless Art Monk, and the other Skins greats that had to finish their careers somewhere else, but Monte Coleman could never have left here.

So, yeah, I'll proudly raise a glass to #51 with you TFM. Give me 53 Monte Colemans and I'll kick the crap out of any team in the league.

:cheers:

Agreed! Give me 53 #51s, and we'll straight up own the NFL.

:cheers:

our age definitely showed this year. you can bring up stats about the 1987 redskins all you want but it doesnt negate the fact that our d-line is old as balls and it shows. salavea has lost a step and he was injured all season, griffin was never 100%, daniels is 34 and it blatantly shows. carter was the only decent to good one, and look at that? hes only 27. griffin/daniels/salavea/wynn are all over 30 and it shows. we have no youth, and you cant build a team for the future with guys over 30. go look at the bears defense and show me how many guys over 30 theyve got starting.

Archived