Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins last 4 quarters?

dbtimsah

The Skins have the oldest average age in the NFL. Why was everyone shocked that they couldn't play for 4 quarters last year? Why are the players begging for "spa time" this offseason? One reason..."Their old!" (I bet Shawn Taylor laughed at these old, injury-prone redskins before they approached Gibbs). The fact is; Gibbs has chosen free agency over the draft. Now, we are suffering for those decision because we have aging, end-of-the-road players that can't play a full game! Please, let's get back to drafting talents like S. Taylor, C. Cooley, etc.

:2cents: -Bryan

Taylor, Cooley, Campbell, Portis, Betts, Moss, Rogers, Randle el, Lloyd, Mcintosh, Golston...

we have a decent core of young players, if we draft Jamaal Anderson or Gaines Adams, i think that we will be the best in NFC in 2008-2009 because they will be impact players after 1 season

Taylor, Cooley, Campbell, Portis, Betts, Moss, Rogers, Randle el, Lloyd, Mcintosh, Golston...

we have a decent core of young players, if we draft Jamaal Anderson or Gaines Adams, i think that we will be the best in NFC in 2008-2009 because they will be impact players after 1 season

agreed. We'll just have to save up our draft picks instead of trading them all away.

The Skins have the oldest average age in the NFL. Why was everyone shocked that they couldn't play for 4 quarters last year? Why are the players begging for "spa time" this offseason? One reason..."Their old!" (I bet Shawn Taylor laughed at these old, injury-prone redskins before they approached Gibbs). The fact is; Gibbs has chosen free agency over the draft. Now, we are suffering for those decision because we have aging, end-of-the-road players that can't play a full game! Please, let's get back to drafting talents like S. Taylor, C. Cooley, etc.

i agree with you 100%. we have a rediculously small number of young guys on our roster. we will never go to another superbowl until we start building through the draft. The only people who disagree with your assessment are those who think joe gibbs could walk on water if he really wanted to.

Oh God, not another: "I know how to coach better than a Hall of Fame coach" thread. Last year had nothing to do with age as it did with injuries and not being on the same page.

Very deceiving stat...we have several really old players that drive up the average age. The team is not old to a man...but I think were all in agreement that we have devalued the draft far too much.

Tell me the guys we have got from free agency that are old.

Fletcher, Randy Thomas, Marcus Washington, Shawn Springs...i guess you want to replace these guys with rookies.

Exactly, my point...they will have to be replaced in a few years because they are so freaking old anyway! If it's not a rookie, it'll be another age-challenged free agent.

:helmet:-Bryan

In 1987, Doug Williams was 32. George Rogers was 29. Art Monk was 30. Jeff Bostic was 29. Dave Butz was 37. Monte Coleman was 30. Mel Kaufman was 29. Neal Olkewicz was 30. And a whole slew of guys including Vernon Dean, Clint Didier, Darryl Grant, Russ Grimm, Joe Jacoby, Dexter Manley and Mark May were 28.

Now, tell me why I'm concerned again. Oh that's right. I'm not. ;)

i agree with you 100%. we have a rediculously small number of young guys on our roster. we will never go to another superbowl until we start building through the draft. The only people who disagree with your assessment are those who think joe gibbs could walk on water if he really wanted to.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

:toilet: :bsflag:

Don't speak for me, speak for yourself. You don't value experience, but youth, so be it. I tend to think a blend of both is most beneficial. But don't think you won't get a back lash for speaking with such a black and white tongue.

where did you see that we have the oldest average age in the nfl or are you just guessing.

That info was in another thread, but I have heard that elsewhere too. In general, this is what happens when teams start overlooking the draft for starters. All the draft picks they get end up being average late rounders that are cut in a few years. Mix that with 30+ year old free agents = old ***** team!

:cheers:-Bryan

That info was in another thread, but I have heard that elsewhere too. In general, this is what happens when teams start overlooking the draft for starters. All the draft picks they get end up being average late rounders that are cut in a few years. Mix that with 30+ year old free agents = old ***** team!

Ive heard lots of things. that doesnt make them true though.

if your hear say rumor is true then i would be a little concerned but in todays nfl rosters change so much so quickly that they could go from the oldest to the youngest in a couple of years.

This is all the info I need to know that this guy is a clown!!

:whippin: :nutkick: :loser:

In 1987, Doug Williams was 32. George Rogers was 29. Art Monk was 30. Jeff Bostic was 29. Dave Butz was 37. Monte Coleman was 30. Mel Kaufman was 29. Neal Olkewicz was 30. And a whole slew of guys including Vernon Dean, Clint Didier, Darryl Grant, Russ Grimm, Joe Jacoby, Dexter Manley and Mark May were 28.

Now, tell me why I'm concerned again. Oh that's right. I'm not. ;)

When I remember Monte Coleman, I can't help but feel bad for him because of how things went down in his last year as a Redskin, which was Norv Turner's first year as Head Coach.

Why? We went 3-13 that year, but the tragic part of it was that was the year we failed to win a home game at RFK.

I remember reading the post after our last home game that season and Monte Coleman expressed sadness that he couldn't win one last time in RFK, the scene of so many of his memories.

Frickin Norv Turner!!!!! Even Steve Spurrier was able to sneak out with a win against Dallas in Darrell Green's final game. Turner you suck!!!

Anyways, I read that Monte's in Arkansas coaching linebackers at Univ. of Alabama at Pine Bluff and works also as a motivational speaker.

Just want everyone to raise their glass in the air for the 2nd longest tenured Redskins to Darrell Green, #51.

Read this article on Monte Coleman from Redskins.com.

Here part of the opening paragraph, but the whole article is inspiring I think. It leads with a description of his physical talents before describing his work ethic. Also, I was freaked out to learn that Beathard drafted Coleman in the 11th round (!!!!) of the draft as a linebacker, although he'd played at Central Arkansas as a safety! (take that Urlacher!!)

He spent countless hours in the weight room strengthening his body and did sprints and middle-distance running to improve his endurance. He knew the more sweat that poured out, the crisper his performance would be by the fourth quarter of a game. The 6-3, 240-pounder carried an amazing body fat of only six percent.

Such an unwavering commitment was instrumental in Coleman playing 16 seasons in the NFL--all with the Redskins.

"I was afraid of losing my job," he said. "I never got to the point of being complacent. I always wanted to stay one step ahead of anybody and everybody. It was something where, if I didn't do what I need to do, my career could have been cut short."

That is a core Redskin. Has anyone seen him recently? I'm sure that he must come back up to the Washington area sometimes...

This is all the info I need to know that this guy is a clown!!

:whippin: :nutkick: :loser:

:doh:Well, clown...if you don't like rumors and open discussions you shouldn't be on a message board. The problem is you don't add any intelligent comments back, so I must question your intelligence! Are you on the Redskins management crew?

-Bryan

You're preaching to the choir, TFM. Monte Coleman is my favorite player of all time. Yes, I even put him above Darrell Green. (Although it's kind of a "which of your kids do you love the most" kind of thing.)

To me, what says the most about Coleman is that even at the end of his career, he came in primarily on passing downs, either as a speed rusher or in coverage. Yes, 36 or 37 years old and shutting down backs and tight ends.

It was easy to choked up seeing him carry that helmet high in the air on and off the field. It mattered to him that he was a Washington Redskin. God bless Art Monk, and the other Skins greats that had to finish their careers somewhere else, but Monte Coleman could never have left here.

So, yeah, I'll proudly raise a glass to #51 with you TFM. Give me 53 Monte Colemans and I'll kick the crap out of any team in the league.

:cheers:

:doh:Well, clown...if you don't like rumors and open discussions you shouldn't be on a message board. The problem is you don't add any intelligent comments back, so I must question your intelligence! Are you on the Redskins management crew?

-Bryan

When a person (I know I'm being nice by including you as part of the human race) comes into a message board that is supposed to be about intelligent conversation and debat about the Redskins, making such ridiculous statments, it means only one of a couple of things. 1) You're a troll trying to just stir up problems. 2) You just really have no idea of what you're talking about and hence are a "CLOWN". I've decided to give you the benifit of the doubt and call you a clown. And as far questioning my intelligent comments, I think you should read my 6,950+ posts and comeback here and say that.

:doh: Clown

It's Sean Taylor, and "They're old" would be the proper phrase.

The misuse of "THERE, THEIR, AND THEY'RE" is a pet peeve of mine also.

Shawn's name, Carlos's last name, and Rock's last name are often incorrect too. I guess it is difficult to check the spellling on Redskin.com.

:whoknows:

The core of this team is young...we have impact players on both sides of the ball that will be productive for years to come (or at least are in a position to be successful for years to come). Portis, Betts, Moss, Cooley, ARE, Lloyd, Campbell on offense, Taylor, Rogers, Rocky, Carter, Golston on D...the o-line and d-line arent THAT old...its not like we really have any starters that are on their way out other than Springs in terms of age for his position, which is pretty good comparitively.

Archived