Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dr. Seuss Goes to War

#98QBKiller

drseuss.jpg

Anyone else heard of this book?

I found it at my local library last week. I've always been a fan of Dr. Seuss, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that he wrote tons of political cartoons during the WWII era for a New York left-wing newspaper called PM which was published during the 1940s ("left-wing" refers to New Deal liberals of the 1940s).

The cartoons speak out against anti-semitism, anti-black racism and isolationism during WWII. They also pick on Charles Lindbergh and America First (an organization committed to keeping the U.S. out of WWII) and show cartoon images of Hitler and the Japanese taking over the world while the U.S. remains uninvolved.

There are some very good cartoons and underlying points in the book and most of the illustrations are instantly recognizable as the unique style of Dr. Seuss. Good stuff, check it out sometime.

I would not could not with a fox,

I did not did not in my socks,

I don't know why you would care,

But I can read it anywhere!

:doh:

If you did that from memory, that is definately the daddy in you coming out! :laugh:

I just heard recently that Dr. Seuss did a bunch of paintings too. I'm gonna have to look around for them, cuz I heard they were really good. (Not cartoony)

If you did that from memory, that is definately the daddy in you coming out! :laugh:

I just heard recently that Dr. Seuss did a bunch of paintings too. I'm gonna have to look around for them, cuz I heard they were really good. (Not cartoony)

Yeah, I love reading with the kids, especially my oldest daughter. The baby will actually focus and listen when we read now, but obviously she doesn't understand much yet. (Not that she could tell us if she did.) ;)

Dr. Seuss was deep...

0394823370.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

His "environmental" book. It's awesome beyond words.

After discovering the book, this was exactly the most political cartoon that I could remember from reading his work as a kid. I had a huge book of his stories and this happened to be one of them, def. an enviromental story.

Yeah, I love reading with the kids, especially my oldest daughter. The baby will actually focus and listen when we read now, but obviously she doesn't understand much yet. (Not that she could tell us if she did.) ;)

There are studies that show a definite link between reading & language development. The fact that you're reading to her now (at 4 months) is awesome and will benefit her tremendously later. :thumbsup:

Regarding the OP...I hadn't heard of that book. Looking forward to checking it out! Thanks!

Amy

There are studies that show a definite link between reading & language development. The fact that you're reading to her now (at 4 months) is awesome and will benefit her tremendously later. :thumbsup:

I've read that too and it should hold especially true with all of the alliteration and rhyming in the Dr. Seuss children's books.

Star Bellied Sneetches dealt with racism.

He was a very political person, activist and editorial cartoonist.

BTW, his last name is pronounced SOICE or SEESE. Not Soose.

Way to take a **** on convention, thanks remliK ;)

Seuss was great. I'd actually go buy a book or two of his since I can't seem to find any of mine from when I was a kid...

he wrote tons of political cartoons during the WWII era for a New York left-wing newspaper called PM which was published during the 1940s ("left-wing" refers to New Deal liberals of the 1940s).

The cartoons speak out against anti-semitism, anti-black racism and isolationism during WWII. They also pick on Charles Lindbergh and America First (an organization committed to keeping the U.S. out of WWII) and show cartoon images of Hitler and the Japanese taking over the world while the U.S. remains uninvolved.

I don't get it? I thought "left-wing" folks were against "interventionist wars"? Were liberals different, philosophically speaking, back then?

I'm being serious by the way.

I don't get it? I thought "left-wing" folks were against "interventionist wars"? Were liberals different, philosophically speaking, back then?

I'm being serious by the way.

Yes, the issues that today's liberals represent and the issues that liberals of the past represented do vary greatly.

Most people think that Republican presidents are more geared toward military interests and are better "war presidents" but that's just a stereotype.

Democratic presidents have been in office for most of the major wars that the United States has entered in the 20th century.

This includes:

World War I: Woodrow Wilson

World War II: FDR

The Korean War: Harry Truman

The Vietnam War: Lyndon B Johnson

For our most recent war efforts though, Republican presidents have been in office.

George Bush Sr.: The Gulf War

And here in the 21st century, George Bush Jr. for the current Iraq War.

But don't let today's hype fool you. Nearly all of the Democrats in Congress in 2003 voted in favor of invading Iraq, whether or not they were being mislead with false information is still up for debate, but they are being held accountable for the war just as much as Bush and the Republicans in Congress are.

Archived