Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Confirmed) Giants trade for Reuben Droughns

Oldskool

http://www.kffl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199842

Tim Carter for R. Droughns.

Per Sirius NFL radio.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2793305

Filling their need for a proven running back to team with youngster Brandon Jacobs, the New York Giants on Friday acquired Reuben Droughns from the Cleveland Browns in exchange for wide receiver Tim Carter, ESPN.com has learned.

Cleveland has been shopping Droughns in trade talks since signing unrestricted free agent tailback Jamal Lewis to a one-year contract earlier this week. The Giants were seeking a tailback to replace the retired Tiki Barber.

Droughns, 28, should provide the Giants a solid insurance policy and a veteran and tested back who can share the ball-carrying chores with Jacobs, a two-year veteran. Jacobs has been the complementary back to Barber, playing mostly in short-yardage and goal-line situations in his two NFL seasons.

interesting, so the Browns must be really comfortable with Lewis. That or they are still taking Peterson.

They're 100% taking Peterson. They only signed lewis for 1 year. I think the reason they signed Lewis is because there is talk of the Lions trading down and a team going ahead of the Browns to take Peterson before them. Just my :2cents:

If I were a Giants fan, this move would not really get me excited. I am not much on Droughns, although they would not be giving up much in this deal.

I thought they would try to get a quicker back to compliment Jacobs, not one that has a similar skill set.

The Browns have boxed themselves in with the Lewis signing and won't be able to get much for Droughns. He has a roster bonus due in a week and every team but New York and Green Bay has their backfields set. A player that in my mind has 3rd to 4th round value can now be had for next to nothing.

Droughns has proven ability and could get you 1200 yards per year over the next 2-3 years. He's the consummate hard-nosed pro who will get what's there, pick up the blitz, and play hurt.

Tim Carter is complete garbage - he looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane. He had the opportunity to step up (in his 5th season now) when Amani Toomer went down last year and couldn't get it done. He's like a bigger version of Taylor Jacobs.

This is robbery if it goes down.

The Browns have boxed themselves in with the Lewis signing and won't be able to get much for Droughns. He has a roster bonus due in a week and every team but New York and Green Bay has their backfields set. A player that in my mind has 3rd to 4th round value can now be had for next to nothing.

Droughns has proven ability and could get you 1200 yards per year over the next 2-3 years. He's the consummate hard-nosed pro who will get what's there, pick up the blitz, and play hurt.

Tim Carter is complete garbage - he looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane. He had the opportunity to step up (in his 5th season now) when Amani Toomer went down last year and couldn't get it done. He's like a bigger version of Taylor Jacobs.

This is robbery if it goes down.

Excellent assessment Dirk. But it would still seem to me that he would be a better fit GB than with the Giants. But I guess the G-Men made a better offer. What could be a worse offer than Carter?

Maybe a boatload of that cheesehead-type apparel that never caught on. Some ties maybe?

imageresize.asp?path=cheese04.jpg

GREAT move for the Giants. Love it.

"If you get McGahee or not, he is infinitely better than Brandon Jacobs. The fact you called him a just a change of pace for Jacobs makes me question all of your football knowledge."

I agree with Westbrook about this. You guys should have traded for Mcgahee. Since when did Brandon Jacobs become a #1 option?

"If you get McGahee or not, he is infinitely better than Brandon Jacobs. The fact you called him a just a change of pace for Jacobs makes me question all of your football knowledge."

I agree with Westbrook about this. You guys should have traded for Mcgahee. Since when did Brandon Jacobs become a #1 option?

Why give up 3 picks for a guy who is extremely average in terms of production?

And since Tiki Barber retired.

Why give up 3 picks for a guy who is extremely average in terms of production?

And since Tiki Barber retired.

I know he hasn't been given the opportunity to be the #1 guy, but he also hasn't proven himself yet. Mcgahee has proven to be a good starter in this league; all Brandon Jacobs has proven is that he's a decent-good goalline back, who benefited from Tikis work, how many touchdowns did Jacobs take from Tiki? How many touchdowns did Tiki have?

Another thing worth mentioning is that both Droughns and Jacobs aren't backs that create their own holes and yards like Tiki. They both are pretty much straight ahead types, and need a top notch o-line to put up the great numbers.

I don't see the Giants as having such a line.

Mcgahee can at least can create on his own a bit, still not in Tiki's class tho, few backs are.

:2cents:

Droughs Averaged 3.4 yards a carry last year and had 4 TDs :laugh: We're supposed to be frightened? :rolleyes:

LOL, you guys are all looking at this trade 100% wrong. The giants traded their 4th wr, who is a bust and has bad hands and runs bad routes. They traded him for a proven 1200 yard rusher twice in his career who can handle playing a full season. This does not mean the giants are not still looking at rhodes to split time with BJ or that they aren't going to draft guys like pittman, walker, booker, lynch, wolfe, etc... Tim Carter was a likely cut (moss drafted to play and carter is a bust) and droughns was a likely cut, by doing this trade the two teams just traded two guys who weren't succeeding in their present locations. Its not a big move and its not the solution to tiki retiring, but if BJ goes down or the giants don't get a smaller shiftier back, droughns and jacobs can combine for an average rushing attack at the very least behind the giants oline. The cleveland oline droughns had is not even comparable to the giants oline imo, and he did gain 1200 yards a season ago with over 4 ypc.

Another thing worth mentioning is that both Droughns and Jacobs aren't backs that create their own holes and yards like Tiki. They both are pretty much straight ahead types, and need a top notch o-line to put up the great numbers.

I don't see the Giants as having such a line.

Mcgahee can at least can create on his own a bit, still not in Tiki's class tho, few backs are.

:2cents:

I totally disagree about Jacobs. Check his ypc, pretty dang good for a short yardage and goallline back. Droughns you are right though, he needs a hole to hit, but once he is through he gains tough yards. Droughns needs a head of steam and a hole to be effective, Jacobs has been running in short yardage and goalline with teams knowing he's coming, I'd say he can make his own holes. Tiki NEVER made his own holes, he cut back to an alternate opening or changed his direction entirely.

Archived