Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Confirmed) Giants trade for Reuben Droughns

Oldskool

I'm not saying Droughns isnt a viable RB.

But check his numbers since Denver.

He peaked behind the best run blocking offensive line in the NFL.

Since then his numbers have steadily declined behind a line which wasnt nearly as good.

And the Giants line run blocking wise, is a lot closer to Cleveland's than it is to Denver's.[/QUOTE]

Remind me again how the giants run game has been the last three years? I'd say the giants oline isnt alot closer to cleveland's than denver's. He had 1200 yards behind the cleveland line in 05 and then he was injured and the line was in flux all of 06. I can't wait for you to tell me how tiki made the oline look good, even with horrible kurt warner and eli "bust" manning.

Between the Dallas RBs and the NYG RBs I'm taking Jones/Barber all day. I think Marion Barber is extremely underrated and is an opportunity away from being big time.

I'd put Jones on par with a Reuben Droughns. Although, I'd have to say the edge goes to Jones when being compared with Droughns. And Barber is a much better all around back than Brandon Jacobs.

Now, if we're talking goal line? I'd take the Giants combo over the Cowboy combo...

Between the Dallas RBs and the NYG RBs I'm taking Jones/Barber all day. I think Marion Barber is extremely underrated and is an opportunity away from being big time.

I'd put Jones on par with a Reuben Droughns. Although, I'd have to say the edge goes to Jones when being compared with Droughns. And Barber is a much better all around back than Brandon Jacobs.

Now, if we're talking goal line? I'd take the Giants combo over the Cowboy combo...

Why is Barber much better all around than Jacobs? I agree Barber is proven more because he has 140 more carries than Jacobs and plays better jones (who can get 1000 yards), but Jacobs is one heck of a pass blocker and I have read the reason parcells continued to use jones was because barber couldn't recognize blitzes well enough or pass block well enough. Barber had 15 more receptions last year for 50 more yards than Jacobs so neither is amazing as pass catchers, but Jacobs rarely was usually blocking, running, or on the bench. Tiki was the giants pass catching back. If the cowboys go to barber all game i could see him putting up 1500 yards as long as he stays healthy. Jones is the thing holding barber back. I think Jacobs potential is just as high as barber's as long as he stays healthy, that is the only question with Jacobs. Neither back has carried the load yet and neither has had the oppurtunity, sadly for both i doubt they get the oppurtunity next year.

Although Droughns isn't anything special, it was a good move by the Giants getting a back who has produced in the past for nothing. Are they better than Jones/Barber? Not even close, IMO. Jones can take it to the house on any play and Barber can gain the tough yards and always seems to find the endzone. Droughns is a slightly better back than Jones but Barber is a much better back than Jacobs.

RB duos in the NFC East

1.CP/Betts :)

2.Westbrook/whoever

3.JJ/Barber

4.Droughns/Jacobs

This is a good signing by the NYG. They get a big veteran back who can put up decent numbers. He may be a short term player, but he gives them a very good option in their tandem running game. And he buys them time to draft and groom a top-notch replacement for Tiki. Note how almost all the teams are now transitioning to 2-back offenses.

:gaintsuck

Some major Brandon Jacobs hate going on here...

Not hate.

He just hasnt proved anything to anyone except being a viable 3rd down/goal line back who can carry the ball 5-10 times a game.

He'll get his due if and when he earns it.

But it shows a lot when the Giants go out and get an RB like Droughns who is a #1 RB that is a workhorse.

Two-headed monsters at the RB spot are great. Trust me, I know.

But when you supposedly have the future at RB, and you bring in another RB who will probably get more carries and be more involved in the offense, it does say something about the general consensus of that RB of the future.

the truth is that Barber was the anchor of the Giants offense. Not only was he the leading rusher but also was one of the better receiving backs in the league. Droughns and Jacobs are standard, single skill backs that can be defensed. Barber was a guy that even when the right defense was called could get out in space and make you look silly with great one on one ability.

That will be missed in NY in 2007 believe me.

If I'm not mistaken, not too many people were scared of Tiki Barber before he became the Giants every down back. And now people are saying the same thing about Jacobs. Droughns is going to be a solid backup. I have every confidence in Jacobs being the go to guy and being spelled by Droughns. Doubt it all you want. I hope it is Tiki Barber biting other teams and their fans in the a**es again.

']If I'm not mistaken' date=' not too many people were scared of Tiki Barber before he became the Giants every down back. And now people are saying the same thing about Jacobs. Droughns is going to be a solid backup. I have every confidence in Jacobs being the go to guy and being spelled by Droughns. Doubt it all you want. I hope it is Tiki Barber biting other teams and their fans in the a**es again.[/quote']

Problem is that Droughns is the better back right now and as long as he's given his fair shake at the starting gig, he should outproduce Jacobs.

Problem is that Droughns is the better back right now and as long as he's given his fair shake at the starting gig, he should outproduce Jacobs.

WTF????

So in your opinion julius jones is better than marion barber, or was he not given a fair shake? So droughns is better than barber too? And all starters in the league are better than barber? I want to see you try to explain how your biasness doesn't affect your view opinion of Jacobs.

WTF????

So in your opinion julius jones is better than marion barber, or was he not given a fair shake? So droughns is better than barber too? And all starters in the league are better than barber? I want to see you try to explain how your biasness doesn't affect your view opinion of Jacobs.

No, Barber wasnt drafted to compete with Jones for the starting RB spot.

His role is 3rd down/goal line/change of pace back.

It always has been. I have reservations myself as to whether he could handle the load of 20-25 carries a game and be as effective as he is now.

He is what he is right now and is successful at it. So why change? Maybe, at some point, he will be called upon to be the starting back. And I'll be interested then to see if he can handle it.

But until then, I like the system Dallas has utilized. And I think they do too considering the results.

Droughns is supposedly being brought in to compete for the starting RB spot.

I can assure you he isnt heading into camp with the mentality that hes going to backup an inferior RB.

No, Barber wasnt drafted to compete with Jones for the starting RB spot.

His role is 3rd down/goal line/change of pace back.

It always has been. I have reservations myself as to whether he could handle the load of 20-25 carries a game and be as effective as he is now.

He is what he is right now and is successful at it. So why change? Maybe, at some point, he will be called upon to be the starting back. And I'll be interested then to see if he can handle it.

But until then, I like the system Dallas has utilized. And I think they do too considering the results.

Droughns is supposedly being brought in to compete for the starting RB spot.

I can assure you he isnt heading into camp with the mentality that hes going to backup an inferior RB.

Of course droughns doesn't think that, but you do realize the giants traded him for their 4th wr, he was brought in because at the very least he adds more depth and ability at rb than carter ever added at wr. I doubt either wins the "starter" role because i think BJ will get all short yardage and goalline and droughns will get 10-15 carries a game if all goes well. Its kind of obvious the giants plan is a two running back style, even if jacobs doesn't win the "starter" role, imo you can expect him to get 250 carries next year.

The big problem with Jacobs is his height and how he runs. He runs very upright, leaving his legs too open for big hits. Tall guys have to bend a bit more to protect their legs and I don't see him doing that, which makes me think he would not hold up every down unless they really work on his form when he runs.

I am not saying the guy is bad or anything. I might be a Skins fan, but I am not silly enough to claim that every player on each NFC East team is bad. I will say he is unproven though, so saying we should be scared is a bit premature.

Giants RB position is simply a mess. It goes from being THE STRENGTH of the offense to a considerable weakness. I can't wait to see Sheli try to play without a top 5 NFL RB to fall back on.

Jacobs is so good that the Giants are falling all over themselves trying to find RB after RB to come in and save the guy.

Too funny.

Two-headed monsters at the RB spot are great. Trust me, I know.

Are you implying that the Jones/Barber duo is a two-headed monster? :laugh: Please. They're good but not THAT good. Jones is an average RB with really good speed and MBIII is one of the better #2's/goal line backs in the league but to call them a two-headed monster is a tad bit much.

Now if you guys would've drafted Steven Jackson...

Giants RB position is simply a mess. It goes from being THE STRENGTH of the offense to a considerable weakness. I can't wait to see Sheli try to play without a top 5 NFL RB to fall back on.

Jacobs is so good that the Giants are falling all over themselves trying to find RB after RB to come in and save the guy.

Too funny.

Because the Giants actually know a two-running back offense is important in today's NFL. Colts did it, Pats did it, Cowboys do it well, Redskins do, a couple other teams have good duos.

And don't be shocked if the Giants draft a running back. They know Droughns isn't a long term solution.

Because the Giants actually know a two-running back offense is important in today's NFL. Colts did it, Pats did it, Cowboys do it well, Redskins do, a couple other teams have good duos.

And don't be shocked if the Giants draft a running back. They know Droughns isn't a long term solution.

I love how westbrook thinks that since the giants have a guy a year removed from 2 1200 yard seasons and a great short yardage/goalline back with unknown potential the giants are obviously screwed. Everyone and their mother knows the giants are going to draft or pick up a FA back that is smaller and speedier. Both Jacobs and droughns can catch the ball and pass block, both have power, and both can bust out big gains if given a hole to hit. Droughns could play like he did his first year in cleveland or he could get injured again, but the one thing i do know is he will be running behind a much better oline in NY. Droughns himself even mentioned in the interview how he was coming to a two back system and how successful it is in the nfl, he knows he is very likely taking equal carries with Jacobs (at best for droughns). Even droughns knows whats going down, apparently westbrook can't read.

Are you implying that the Jones/Barber duo is a two-headed monster? :laugh: Please. They're good but not THAT good. Jones is an average RB with really good speed and MBIII is one of the better #2's/goal line backs in the league but to call them a two-headed monster is a tad bit much.

Any RB tandem that produces roughly 1800 yards and 20 TDs is pretty damn good.

Chubby checker + Jones does not equal Steven Jackson imo. Jackson is a top 10 back.

I'd take Jackson in a heartbeat over Jones. No question.

Spears has been average to this point, but I'm not writing him off just yet.

He's that rare combination player who can play in the 4-3 and 3-4.

I'm not convinced he was utilized properly with the Parcells/Zimmer version of the 3-4.

Let me see what Phillips does with him first, then I'll reanalyze the trade.

If Phillips gets the production out of him that he did his defensive lineman in SD, I'll be one happy camper.

Archived