Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Confirmed) Giants trade for Reuben Droughns

Oldskool

LOL, you guys are all looking at this trade 100% wrong. The giants traded their 4th wr, who is a bust and has bad hands and runs bad routes. They traded him for a proven 1200 yard rusher twice in his career who can handle playing a full season. This does not mean the giants are not still looking at rhodes to split time with BJ or that they aren't going to draft guys like pittman, walker, booker, lynch, wolfe, etc... Tim Carter was a likely cut (moss drafted to play and carter is a bust) and droughns was a likely cut, by doing this trade the two teams just traded two guys who weren't succeeding in their present locations. Its not a big move and its not the solution to tiki retiring, but if BJ goes down or the giants don't get a smaller shiftier back, droughns and jacobs can combine for an average rushing attack at the very least behind the giants oline. The cleveland oline droughns had is not even comparable to the giants oline imo, and he did gain 1200 yards a season ago with over 4 ypc.

Sounds like that ill-fated Mike Rumph/Taylor Jacobs trade that helped neither team...just swapping garbage.

This does not mean the giants are not still looking at rhodes to split time with BJ

Didn't Rhodes get snatched up by the Raiders? You guys might have to give up some draft picks to get him, they're not gonna sign the guy and then just trade em' to the Giants for nothing.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/OAK/10050730

I think you most certianly have to draft a guy - I would expect Droughns to be a short term option.

Sounds like that ill-fated Mike Rumph/Taylor Jacobs trade that helped neither team...just swapping garbage.

It is a lot like that. But Droughns, if healthy for a season behind an average oline can gain 1200 yards at 4 yards a pop, and Tim Carter can really stretch the field, its just whether his hands and eyes are working. I would of much rather had rhodes and drafted booker or pittman. I think the giants draft a shifty back, because right now they have 3 north south runners who aren't great pass catchers.

The Giants did themselves a favor by picking this guy up. He'll be the workhorse before Jacobs. Jacobs is too big, runs too upright and too straight ahead to be a 25 carry back. Plus with you guys losing your best blocker IMO Petitgout, Jacobs would have been stopped for 2 yard gains. The guy shows flashes and is a great back to have around the goal line, but if you guys were really counting on him to be an everydown back, you were just fooling yourselves. Good move for the Giants until they can draft/buy a stud RB.

Didn't Rhodes get snatched up by the Raiders? You guys might have to give up some draft picks to get him, they're not gonna sign the guy and then just trade em' to the Giants for nothing.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/OAK/10050730

I think you most certianly have to draft a guy - I would expect Droughns to be a short term option.

Thanks for the update, never saw that. Did this happen before the droughns trade? That would make a lot of sense to why reese did this.

Good move by the Giantsp; getting something for nothing.

Whats Droughns contract like? Didnt he get a new deal when he got to Clev?

I have read it is 1.25 mill for this year. Carters would be less than a mill i think.

I know Carter is considred a bust, and he had a hard time staying healthy...but wasnt he playing well last season?

Or was that just against the skins??:doh:

No he never played well against anyone in the nfl ever, imo.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302183

Remember he was the #2 wr last year as soon after toomer went down. He just can't run routes and he lacks concentration. He has world class speed and is/was ripped like nobody's business though.

I totally disagree about Jacobs. Check his ypc, pretty dang good for a short yardage and goallline back. Droughns you are right though, he needs a hole to hit, but once he is through he gains tough yards. Droughns needs a head of steam and a hole to be effective, Jacobs has been running in short yardage and goalline with teams knowing he's coming, I'd say he can make his own holes. Tiki NEVER made his own holes, he cut back to an alternate opening or changed his direction entirely.

I took your advice and looked up Jacobs' numbers. You are correct, he has a solid 4.4 ypc, but that is while only averaging 6 carries per game. I would suspect that maintaining that average while carrying the rock 15-20 times for a full 16 games would be significantly tougher.

I'm not knocking Droughns so much, a solid back and he came cheaply enough, but I think spending the extra picks/money to get someone like Mcgahee with some break away speed would have been a better choice. Even more so when you consider how shakey Eli has been recently ... a more dominant running game would help him immensly.

And of course that is what I meant by Tiki "creating" his own. It will be near impossible, at least in the short term, to replace Tiki and everything he meant to that offence, rushing and receiving. I certainly won't miss him :D .

No chance Droughns plays in all 16 games.

I'm taking Portis/Betts and Jones/Barber over this duo every day of the week.

I'll reserve judgment on whether the Eagle tandem is better until they land a #2 RB.

Good for you. Call me when Julius jones gains over 1100 yards. Or is marion barber sooo much better than Jacobs because he plays for the cowboys?

Good for you. Call me when Julius jones gains over 1100 yards. Or is marion barber sooo much better than Jacobs because he plays for the cowboys?

You serious?

Barber > Jacobs

Jones>Droughns

Jacobs/Droughns are pretty much the same kind of back. Reuben was a FB in Denver before being moved to RB

You serious?

Barber > Jacobs

Jones>Droughns

Jacobs/Droughns are pretty much the same kind of back. Reuben was a FB in Denver before being moved to RB

I would have to agree. I would take Jones and Barber over Droughns and Jacobs, any day of the week - even on Saturdays, when I'm drinking heavily and not thinking so clearly.

You serious?

Barber > Jacobs

Jones>Droughns

I wasn't saying Droughns is better than jones or jacobs is better than barber, the cowboy fan just seems to think it is soooo far apart. Julius Jones has been a disappointment and Droughns has been more productive for Jones's entire career. Droughns career ypc is 3.9, jones's is 4.0. I don't know why you are sticking up for jones, the guy averages .1 more yard per carry than denver's former 2nd string fullback. Jones has 1 season over 1000 yards the last 3 years, Droughns has 2 season over 1200 the last 3 years. Droughns also wasn't running behind pro bowlers like gurode and flozell adams and former probowlers like rivera and allen. The cleveland line sucked. To say barber and jacobs are comparable is not a stretch, and to say jones and drouhgns are comparable is not stretch either. I suppose Jones is a "breakaway threat" but his career 4.0 ypc and career 13 20+ runs don't make him out to be one (droughns has 16 the last 3 years). Jones's career long is 77 and droughns's is 75 (with the browns). Droughns even beats jones as a receiving threat. I believe when healthy he can play like he did a year ago behind a bad cleveland line, and if he can't he is still good depth.

You also have to look at them as a tandem. Droughns and Jacobs are very similar, Giants need to get a change of pace/third down back. Droughns had two good years, one with clevland, I dont pay much attention to the year he had with denver. He was banged up last season and almost lost his job to Jerome Harrison & Jason Wright

You also have to look at them as a tandem. Droughns and Jacobs are very similar, Giants need to get a change of pace/third down back. Droughns had two good years, one with clevland, I dont pay much attention to the year he had with denver. He was banged up last season and almost lost his job to Jerome Harrison & Jason Wright

You can look at them as the same back, but jacobs can bust out some long gains, so can droughns (more than jones can actually). Droughns is a good pass catcher, and pass blocker, jacobs has been very good as pass blocking. You can also look at it as an oppurtunity for the giants. When Jacobs or droughns is in and toomer, moss, shockey, and burress are on the field teams must respect the deep ball and shockey can't be covered just by a linebacker, and both droughns and jacobs can run with 8 men in the box. There will be less big gains that tiki would of got, but i would expect if they both do start there would be a lot more consistent 4 and 5 yard gains and moving the chains. I could see these guys wearing teams down and moving the chains slowly but consistently. I don't see them ever coming close to tiki's big breakaways though. When teams limited tiki from the big gains, the offense sputtered because they couldn't muster consistent positive yardage on the ground. I'm hoping they draft booker or pittman and slowly bring him along like they did with tiki.

Call me when Droughns and Jacobs put up the numbers Jones and Barber did last season.

I will give you a shout if/when that happens. You don't think they can put up 1700 yards? Thats not exactly some high standard you are setting for them. If droughns and jacobs start and play the full season i would think they could gain 1700 yards between them, unless ward and a draft pick takes some carries.

I wasn't saying Droughns is better than jones or jacobs is better than barber, the cowboy fan just seems to think it is soooo far apart.

Infer that all you want. I didnt say it.

Your insecurity at the RB position and satisfaction with the overall Giant offseason has clouded your thoughts.

I, like even the biggest Cowboy haters on this site, are taking the Dallas RB tandem over the Giants one.

Plain and simple.

It's ok to be satisfied with those two RBs, theyre decent, for sure. But the running game in New York right now is battling with Philly for the 3rd spot in the NFCE.

I will give you a shout if/when that happens. You don't think they can put up 1700 yards? Thats not exactly some high standard you are setting for them. If droughns and jacobs start and play the full season i would think they could gain 1700 yards between them, unless ward and a draft pick takes some carries.

They can and probably will break the 1,700 yard barrier combined.

But 18 rushing TDs combined? And 20 total TDs combined?

I highly doubt it.

Droughns had 4 rushing TDs last season, and 2 the year before.

And he was the only RB that Cleveland had.

They can and probably will break the 1,700 yard barrier combined.

But 18 rushing TDs combined? And 20 total TDs combined?

I highly doubt it.

I would agree there. The giants love passing in the redzone, i hope that would change now that Jacobs and droughns are the two top backs. Tiki never had the power for running inside the 20.

I would agree there. The giants love passing in the redzone, i hope that would change now that Jacobs and droughns are the two top backs. Tiki never had the power for running inside the 20.

I'm not saying Droughns isnt a viable RB.

But check his numbers since Denver.

He peaked behind the best run blocking offensive line in the NFL.

Since then his numbers have steadily declined behind a line which wasnt nearly as good.

And the Giants line run blocking wise, is a lot closer to Cleveland's than it is to Denver's.

Archived