Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Even If We Get Bly, We Should Keep Springs

Commander Adama

Well you if you started the thread i thought that was obvious...if you check the threads betts for bly and the one about the Washingtonpost article about the draft picks for bly trade in the stadium i have two very similar comments one of which i quoted here and both are time stamped about 12 hours older than your thread...

I mean i thought it was a good topic for a thread and as I said before thanks for starting the thread just quote me when you are gonna base a comment on what i post....

:logo:

So you honestly think I saw your posts and said this idea is so fantastic I have to start a new thread and claim it as my own??? :rolleyes:

So you honestly think I saw your posts and said this idea is so fantastic I have to start a new thread and claim it as my own??? :rolleyes:

well i wasnt gonna come out and say it like that...but i mean if that is the case its good we got it cleared up...and you did start the post...I mean if it was a coencidence that you happen to say the same thing as me 12 hours after the fact in a new thread then maybe its just a case of great minds thinking alike....

Why should we keep him so he can get hurt during warm ups? The guy has been hurt since he came into the league for Seattle. We actually gave up Champ thinking this chump was reliable? Let Denver on anyone else have him if he doesnt want to give back money cut him. He got paid for nothing last year and cost us big time. Against the Rams he makes a tackle then is out for the game we cant stop him and he can play when healthy.

One thing I have noticed with this Denver situation. Who in the hell is Denver so enamored with? DE? DL?

I think conventional wisdom has them going after gaines adams or alan branch...they did trade last week for big duddy dan wilkinson--remember him?

I honestly think it's Calvin Johnson. After trading with Washington I wouldn't doubt they would try a trade with Cleveland to jump Tampa to get him.

Maybe but they are good at WR and I dont really think he will make it out of the top 5....Detroit did not even go to brady quinn's pro day and they cut rodgers last year and benched mike williams and everyone knows matt millen always wanted to be a WR..Tampa needs WR too..and some say oakland is even looking at him more since shopping moss...He and jay cutler would be scary together but everyone (espn/nfl-net/cnnsi) is saying they are wanting DL....

In the Adam Schefter blog it says that the Saints offered a 4th round pick and the Broncos declined so I'm going to assume that he is valued somewhere around a mid 3rd round pick. If that is Bly's value, then an older, more injured Springs won't bring back anything more than a third rounder. We'd be crazy not to take a deal where we can keep Springs and get Bly. First, I think that the potential of that secondary worth way more than the return we would get on Springs. And if Bly is worth a 3rd round pick, the offer mentioned in the Post seems more than fair. We would basically trade the #6 for the #21, a 2nd, the 3rd we sent for Duckett, and the equivalent of another 3rd.

Maybe but they are good at WR and I dont really think he will make it out of the top 5....Detroit did not even go to brady quinn's pro day and they cut rodgers last year and benched mike williams and everyone knows matt millen always wanted to be a WR..Tampa needs WR too..and some say oakland is even looking at him more since shopping moss...He and jay cutler would be scary together but everyone (espn/nfl-net/cnnsi) is saying they are wanting DL....
I will do nothing but laugh for a whole year if Detroit draft yet another WR in the first round.

i don't understand why people keep bringing up the Springs to Safety idea. lets be clear on this: the transition from CB to Safety in the NFL is meant for CB's who have lost a few steps, and who are no longer effective as a starting CB, or even nickel CB. i think its been well established that when healthy, Shawn Springs is this team's best CB. i'd even stack him up against Bly when healthy. the thing is, he also has to be healthy to play safety.........so if he's healthy and playing, why wouldn't it be at a position where he has demonstrated tremendous skill.

with all that said, if his skills demonstrably diminish over the course of the season, i'm open to the move.

i don't understand why people keep bringing up the Springs to Safety idea. lets be clear on this: the transition from CB to Safety in the NFL is meant for CB's who have lost a few steps, and who are no longer effective as a starting CB, or even nickel CB. i think its been well established that when healthy, Shawn Springs is this team's best CB. i'd even stack him up against Bly when healthy. the thing is, he also has to be healthy to play safety.........so if he's healthy and playing, why wouldn't it be at a position where he has demonstrated tremendous skill.

with all that said, if his skills demonstrably diminish over the course of the season, i'm open to the move.

I would propose a lineup such as:

Base

CB Rogers

CB Smoot

SS Taylor

FS Springs

Nickle

CB Rogers

CB Springs

CB Smoot

SS Archuletta/Preliou

FS Taylor

If we somehow ended up with Springs & Bly

Base

CB Bly

CB Rogers or Smoot

SS Taylor

FS Springs

Nickle

CB Bly

CB Rogers

CB Smoot

SS Taylor

FS Springs

I agree with what you said in your post. However, my reasoning for using Springs as a safety is to ensure that we have our best players on the field in the most packages. Using one of our CB's as a safety in the base package would do this. Of the three, I think Springs would be the most effective....

as much as i liked springs when he was playing here, 2 INTs over the past 2 seasons is hardly something to get excited about.

1. What makes you think that Springs would agree to play SS?

2. What are you going to do with AA?

3. Youre really going to place an aging CB with a history of injury at the most physically punishing DB spot?

I've never understood this myself. SS is the RUN SUPPORT position. So let's but the guy that gets injured in there. :doh:

Now, you make ST a SS and put him in the box,a nd lie SS play FS and roam it works abit better. However you still have AA's contract to deal with. Honestly, Im kinda tired of the talk about it, and probably nothing will come or it. Which is fine, because Im sick and tired (literally, hehe).

I say we plan on keeping Springs even if this deal goes through. Springs didn't have a career ending injury like some of you are making it sound like. He will come back next year and play like he did the year previous when he was a shut down corner. IF somehow BLy or Smoot prove they are better in Camp then we trade fo whatever picks we can get. Plus there might be teams more desperate to get a corner.

I say even if we get Dre Bly in a trade with the Broncos, we should keep Shawn Springs and convert him to play opposite Taylor at Safety. So you would have Dre Bly, Carlos Rogers, and Fred Smoot at Corner then Sean Taylor and Shawn Springs at Safety. I don't know about anyone else, but to me, that sounds like one scary field for a QB to be throwing in. Plus keeping Springs keeps continuity and if we were to draft a CB in the 2nd / 3rd (Picks from Denver) he would help as a mentor. Just some thoughts on Springs...

Good idea.

And we'd have lots of depth (Arch, V. Fox, Prileau, Doughty, and Jimoh)

That would be a scary secondary. The skins should seriously consider doing this if we get Bly.

Why? I would rather have Springs, Blye, Smoot, and Rogers.

Amen

I dont really think we can keep springs. his cap hit is supposed to be 7.5 mil next season. The options he has is to either take a pay cut, or be gone.

Although it would be nice to have him, this team just doesn't want to pay that type of money to an aging injury pronce corner.

He will cost the same to keep or trade pre june 1st. Please stop posting this people

]']Normally' date=' I'd agree with you. We'd have a hell of a corner group - Bly, Springs, Rogers, and Smoot. Taylor could free roam, and Arch could just blitz every down.

But that'll cost way too much moeny.[/quote']

NONONONONONONONo it won't :)

Great idea, but, Springs knows he has been shopped around for draft picks and is probably a little miffed at the front office and gibbs for saying he would be back next season. Also, a safety taking up 7.5mil. against the cap would be fine if it were Ed Reed, but we are talking about a 32 year old corner that has to convert to safety, that also has major issues with staying healthy. But I do agree, it does look great on paper.:eaglesuck :)

It is OK he is already accounted for on the cap and we are close too and soon will be over 10 mil under the cap. WE CAN KEEP HIM IF WE WANT.

This is my dream as well. WE would have a great secondary, that will buy the Dline some time. Add in a pass rushing DE or new DT from the draft our D can be top 5 again.

Plus we would be beyond deep at all D positions and be able to absorb a few injuries. To me that is worth more then the 3rd round SS may bring. Now if SS can bring someone like Rodgers from Detroit the I will pack his bags and drive him to the airport.

A guy I work with is a Detroit Lions fan and he said rumor that he heard was the Lions would offer there second round pick for springs.

that may be worth it

If we do the denver trade

rd 1 carriker maybe or the best DE

rd 2 Det = Tank johnson

rd 2 Denver = OG

Springs I will pick you up in 20 minutes. :laugh:

Man, I don't want to see Springs go but for some possible deals it wouldn't be so hard. Imagine having a 1st and 2 2nds. It would certainly put us in a really good position to pick up players not just 1 player, who can make an immediate impact. The only thing that'll worry me is if we can find someone at the 21st spot that can make that impact.

I forgot about putting Shawn Springs at SS, and that would be a scary secondary.

I think this would be a good idea too. I'm for trading SS (as a package) for Bly and I'm also for trading SS (if we get Bly) for a draft pick.

However, I wouldn't trade SS for anything below a 3rd rounder. If we can get a mid 3rd rounder for him, I'd do it. I would use that pick on a young CB (like Josh Wilson from UMD).

If we get an offer of a 4th or later rounder, I would want to keep SS for his leadership and to hopefully play in the saftey position.

Archived