Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Potential WSH-DEN trade (draft pick values)

21KillzCowboys

The question is three years from now are you going to be looking at Alan Branch or Anderson becoming the next Richard Seymour while we sit there with one solid starter, one capable backup and a 32 year old corner with a high cap number?

or you could just as easily flip it around, because theres a good chance any one of the DL's we could take will be a complete bust.

or you could just as easily flip it around, because theres a good chance any one of the DL's we could take will be a complete bust.

Jesus, this piss poor "thinking" is why we havent drafted a D lineman in years and have zero depth at the position and the glaring need that is evident.

They have to make this deal. Depth is a big concern and this allows them to address it in a cheap manner. At #21, if we do not trade back up, we can potentially grab Jarvis Moss (DE FLA), Charles Johnson (DE UGA) or Ben Grubbs (G AUB). All of those players would help and cost much less then the #6. Remember Golston looks to be a keeper at DL and the skins picked him up in the 6th round, so a drop to 21 is not that bad.

With JLC's latest blog (see link) about Denver wanting to move up to the #6 pick for 2 or 3 picks + Bly, I got really excited. At first I thought that would be too much for Denver to give up, but it's actually not based on the draft value chart.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

(1) WSH #6 - 1600

(1) DEN #21 - 800

(2) DEN #56 - 340

(3) DEN #70 - 240 (TJ Duckett trade)

(3) DEN #87 - 155

Total of these four picks = 1535

Personally, I think our #6 for their #21, #56, and Bly would be a good trade. Perhaps, they would throw #87 in as well. Then, like JLC says, we could trade Springs for more picks, maybe a 3 and a 4.

I would consider that as being a "coup" if it transpired, i've always felt that it would be in our best interest to trade down our 6th pick in an attempt towards obtaining substantial options in the 2nd/3rd rds. Adding Bly to the equation is phenominal, yet it sounds too good to become an actuality. !!

Is Bly really that good? Will he work in our system/schemes/packages?

We know Springs and if he gets back to 100%, he immediately stabilizes our defensive backfield.

My point....team chemistry in the defensive backfield is key. I'm excited to have Smoot back for stability and Fletcher to shore up the MIKE because they know our system. This give Rogers more time at the nickel and to step in if injuries to Springs or Smoot occur. We endured (hopefully learned) a painful lesson last season when we tried tweaking our Defense. Let's keep Springs, still trade down and grab the best DE and OG we can get. They are out there. We've got to quit messing with team chemistry and build depth through youth.....please! I've seen this bad B movie too many times!

Sorry for the rant!...just my 2 Cents.

HTTR

Jesus, this piss poor "thinking" is why we havent drafted a D lineman in years and have zero depth at the position and the glaring need that is evident.

I don't think he's saying that just a D-Line will be a bust and we shouldn't draft one. Just that the alternative to his statement was that a top pick could bust, so adding more picks increases our oppurtunity to land a solid player. I like this trade as long as it swings in our favor pick wise. I also wouldn't mind the idea of retaining Springs as our SS if our cap will permit it.

I don't think that the fans want Bly, it's just that apparently the front office and/or Bly just won't let this trade rumor die. I think the guy is injury prone(missed time 2 of the last 3 seasons) and overated myself. I also think that Denver is trying to get over on both us and Detroit by getting more back for Bly than what was asked for in the first place.

Why do people want Dre Bly ? When the Lions dont want you theres a real problem if we trade for him. It would just be another terrible move by our organization

The Lions wanted to trade Bly because he struggles in Cover 2/zone defense and is in the last year of his contract. GW likes to put his corners in man coverage when our starts are healthy. Dre Bly is a pro bowl corner and has put up very good INT and PD numbers. Something we desperately need.

I feel Bly may be a slight drop off from Springs, but given that he is younger, is ready to sign an extension, less injury prone, and we can recoup picks in the process. I am personally all for this trade. And I am a huge Springs supporter.

I don't think he's saying that just a D-Line will be a bust and we shouldn't draft one. Just that the alternative to his statement was that a top pick could bust, so adding more picks increases our oppurtunity to land a solid player. I like this trade as long as it swings in our favor pick wise. I also wouldn't mind the idea of retaining Springs as our SS if our cap will permit it.

Continuing that logic, then we should trade our 1st round picks every year to teams for their 3-7th round picks, because damn one of them is gotta be good. :doh:

I don't think that the fans want Bly, it's just that apparently the front office and/or Bly just won't let this trade rumor die. I think the guy is injury prone(missed time 2 of the last 3 seasons) and overated myself. I also think that Denver is trying to get over on both us and Detroit by getting more back for Bly than what was asked for in the first place.

That's how I feel anyway.

Personally, I would take what ever picks we could get for Springs, sign someone like Fisher and forget all about Bly. But Snyder, Gibbs and Vinny seem dead-set on getting Bly. I just don't want us to get screwed over.

I agree with your points, but I really don't care what Denver gave for him, that is thir problem and not the skins. They traded all of that for a player who wants no part of their team and he is in the last year of his contract. Denver did not have a good offseason, most of the FA's they wanted did not sign with them, both trades have backfired.

Since Kearny signed with Seattle they are more desperate for a pass rushing DE. Lets help them with that and there is no way we should take a value point hit. There first three picks and bly is fair. They still get a low third round pick value of 220 pts, which is what the lions originally wanted. I am also leaning towards wanting both third rounders they have as compensation us moving back early, allowing them time to continue to fill holes in FA.

That's what I'm talking about! Screw-em :cheers:

The JLC blog also mentioned that Detroit was one of the teams interested in trading for Springs. If the skins sent Springs to Detroit for their third and maybe a 4th or 5th rounder, the skins could then send one of those picks to Denver in a trade involving Bly.

For Example:

Detroit gets- Shawn Springs

Redskins get- 3rd round pick (66) and 4th round pick (98)

THEN

Denver gets- Redskins 1st round pick- 6th overall (1600), and Detroit's 4th round pick- 98th overall (108)

Redskins get- Dre Bly, Denver's 1st round pick-21st overall (800), Denver's 2nd round pick- 53rd overall (370), and Denver's 3rd round pick (via Wsh)- 70th overall (240)

So when all is said and done, Detroit has a replacement CB for the recently departed Bly, Denver has decent chance to land Adrian Peterson with the 6th pick, and adding a high pick in the 4th round. The Redskins would acquire Dre Bly from Denver and sign him to an extension (probably in the realm of 5 years for 35 million, just a guess) and also receiver Denver's 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, and the pick from the TJ Duckett trade.

Now I'm sure somewhere along the line i screwed up the numbers, I hate three way trades. However, the idea itself is pretty simple, trade Springs and move down 15 spots in the first round in exchange for a younger CB with less potential for injury, a second round and two (high) third round draft picks. The way I see it, that is certainly enough picks to get at least one, possibly two potential starters along the d-line, a replacement LG to eventually take over for whoever starts the season there, and possibly a strong safety, a blocking TE or a possession WR. Granted, we would lose out on Branch, Adams, and Anderson, but none of them seems like a sure thing to me. Your thoughts?

If the FO didn't trade away their picks they would not have this problem.

Well, if murderers never killed anyone they wouldn't have legal trouble.

;)

You can't just say, well if they didn't trade picks they wouldn't need to acquire more. If you make a mistake you don't try to fix it? :rolleyes:

:logo:

Personally, I think our #6 for their #21, #56, and Bly would be a good trade. Perhaps, they would throw #87 in as well. Then, like JLC says, we could trade Springs for more picks, maybe a 3 and a 4.

I would make this trade in a heartbeat :cheers::cheers:

if we look at the draft from last year this is what we would get:

#21 Laurence Maroney RB

#56 Chris Chester G

Bly

for

Vernon Davis TE

Best scenario would be a 3 way trade where we send our #6 to Denver for:

#21 - 800

#56 - 340

#87 - 155

Total of these three picks = 1295

Bly

Then we trade the #56 to move up from #21 to ~12-14. Of course this would dictate that Carolina, St. Louis, or Buffalo be interested in this trade....

The JLC blog also mentioned that Detroit was one of the teams interested in trading for Springs. If the skins sent Springs to Detroit for their third and maybe a 4th or 5th rounder, the skins could then send one of those picks to Denver in a trade involving Bly.

For Example:

THEN

Denver gets- Redskins 1st round pick- 6th overall (1600), and Detroit's 4th round pick- 98th overall (108)

Redskins get- Dre Bly, Denver's 1st round pick-21st overall (800), Denver's 2nd round pick- 53rd overall (370), and Denver's 3rd round pick (via Wsh)- 70th overall (240)

So when all is said and done, Detroit has a replacement CB for the recently departed Bly, Denver has decent chance to land Adrian Peterson with the 6th pick, and adding a high pick in the 4th round. The Redskins would acquire Dre Bly from Denver and sign him to an extension (probably in the realm of 5 years for 35 million, just a guess) and also receiver Denver's 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, and the pick from the TJ Duckett trade.

If that were to occur, we could get a good DT, a future replacement DE for Daniels, and a starting guard.

So basically, 3 future starters.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

I think that is a reach, though. It sounds too good to be true.

:2cents:

For Example:

THEN

Now I'm sure somewhere along the line i screwed up the numbers, I hate three way trades. However, the idea itself is pretty simple, trade Springs and move down 15 spots in the first round in exchange for a younger CB with less potential for injury, a second round and two (high) third round draft picks. The way I see it, that is certainly enough picks to get at least one, possibly two potential starters along the d-line, a replacement LG to eventually take over for whoever starts the season there, and possibly a strong safety, a blocking TE or a possession WR. Granted, we would lose out on Branch, Adams, and Anderson, but none of them seems like a sure thing to me. Your thoughts?

:notworthy:notworthy This would be perfect. Seems too good to be true, though.

Archived