Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champ Bailey vs. Clinton Portis

pigskinprophet

Yes. However, I would have preferred a little more stinginess when it came to the additional (and unnecessary) draft pick that was thrown in.

When I saw how some of the top running backs a couple years ago (Edge, Shaun Alexander, etc.) couldn't garner a 2nd round pick, it kind of made me cringe thinking about what we gave away in the Portis/Bailey trade.

As many have said in the past though, Champ didn't plan on playing in Washington anymore, so we did essentially get a lot of value for something that we just as easily could have lost for nothing.

Yes. However, I would have preferred a little more stinginess when it came to the additional (and unnecessary) draft pick that was thrown in.

When I saw how some of the top running backs a couple years ago (Edge, Shaun Alexander, etc.) couldn't garner a 2nd round pick, it kind of made me cringe thinking about what we gave away in the Portis/Bailey trade.

As many have said in the past though, Champ didn't plan on playing in Washington anymore, so we did essentially get a lot of value for something that we just as easily could have lost for nothing.

Champ Bailey was great but he didn't want to play here, which is understandable sort of considering how he had all sorts of different coaches and coordinators...I would make the trade, sure...maybe I would have tried to trade for LT or something :laugh: I wouldn't have gotten it. :(

Not that this topic hasn't been discussed in one of the other CP/Bailey threads but Champ isn't the best corner in the league and if you talk to Denver fans they'll tell you that he's good but has a tendency to get burned on the regular. Walt Harris went to the Pro Bowl but was average for us. It depends on the scheme, the division you're in and so many other variables to adequately assess overall talent. Walt having the year he had probably had nothing to do with the NFC West being an atrocious division. :doh:

Again, Champ is one of the top Corners in the league but to say he's the best is a stretch IMO. CP is one of the top RB's in the league, the best not yet but don't be suprised if he doesn't rise to the top when 100% healthy and Al's had time to work with him.

Im glad Davis left.He has been hurt every year after, as well as when he was with us. :(

Maybe so, but when is the last time we had a back that could break a big gain as well as put it in the endzone when we were on the 5 yd line. I'm not saying Clinton can't do it, but when we had Stephen Davis those TD's were almost guarenteed. We didn't get scared or stuffed rushing up the middle nearly as much as we do now. Now we rely on play action or bouncing to the outside. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have Portis more than having Bailey, but we lack the goal line bullrush we had while Davis was here.

I wouldn't make the trade. I'd patch up the relationship with Bailey and pay him like the franchise player he deserves to be compensated as. Corners have much longer careers than RBs and are a lot more valuable.

The big mistake we made was investing all of our money in Arrington when our best defender was Champ Bailey.

Archived