Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jets Get RB Jones from Bears for swapping 2nd Round picks(merged

Farbod21

Why does everyone say "I guess they think Benson is ready to carry the offense, I still dont get why they got rid of Jones" ???

Did we all forget about a few weeks ago when Jones demanded a trade? They had to get rid of him somehow and the Jets were probably the only ones that really wanted him if you think about it...what other teams would? How many teams are not set at runningback right now or after the draft?

Sure it wasn't a fair trade but you can't fault the Bears for making it, they were getting rid of a player who really really really did NOT want to be there.

Im not exactly sure. Because the Bears are getting two 2nd round picks. They can get two great pick ups with those picks. One can be a running back if they choose. Everyone knows you can pick up a good HB in 3rd-4th round, or later. And Jones isnt a spring chicken neither. Im sure he's got a lot of wear in tear on his body, especially the way he runs. The world isnt coming to an end for the Bears because of this moves.

You misread. The Bears exchanged their 2nd round pick with the Jets, so they moved up 26 spots in the second round, and gave Jones. So essentially they were saying that Jones is worth the difference in second round picks, which is bupkus.

Seems like they would have been better off just cutting him...

You misread. The Bears exchanged their 2nd round pick with the Jets, so they moved up 26 spots in the second round, and gave Jones. So essentially they were saying that Jones is worth the difference in second round picks, which is bupkus.

Seems like they would have been better off just cutting him...

Eh I dunno about that dude. If Jones was just going to get cut, they might as well have moved up in the 2nd round rather then get nothing in return. Although this just means the Bears are in a bad situation now. I'm not so sure that Benson can carry that offensive load, and I won't be surprised to either see Chicago make a play on one of the running back FAs left, or draft one.

Did you just say the skins are considering trading the number 6th pick in the draft for the 31st pick and the 37th pick and possibly a low round pick? Why would the skins do that? I would make that trade if I was the Bears in less than a minute.

Have the Bears throw in Briggs, and it will be a good deal. :D

Jason

Not only was it a great trade for the Jets, but they also put on a clinic with respect to management of draft picks.

Trade down in the 2nd round of 2006 with the Skins and acquire a 2007 2nd rounder.

Next, parlay those picks into Kellen Clemens as Pennington's heir apparent, Thomas Jones, and still have TWO picks left in the 2nd round of the 2007 draft. It's like the gift that keeps on giving.

I still feel Bradway got a bad rap as the Jets former GM. But since Tannenbaum came on board in 2006, he has clearly shined.

I don't want to overly extend any defense for this move, since I think the Bears sold themselves short, but I'd like to point out that the huge difference in second round picks. The top of the second round is filled with a great deal of the first round talent everyone reads about for the next two months but falls out of the first round for one reason or another. By the end of the second round you've slipped into a considerably lesser tier of talent. 26 picks is a pretty huge jump, and moves you from tier 3 to tier 2 talent.

Once again, still a bad trade.

I can't believe the Bears dropped their best RB like that. I know my Jets fan buddy here in the office has been talking a bunch today after this move. I of course have to remind him that the Jets still don't have the Bears offensive line.

Why does everyone say "I guess they think Benson is ready to carry the offense, I still dont get why they got rid of Jones" ???

Did we all forget about a few weeks ago when Jones demanded a trade? They had to get rid of him somehow and the Jets were probably the only ones that really wanted him if you think about it...what other teams would? How many teams are not set at runningback right now or after the draft?

Sure it wasn't a fair trade but you can't fault the Bears for making it, they were getting rid of a player who really really really did NOT want to be there.

Plus I think salary played alot into it also. Benson is still on his Rookie contract and they may think they can find a 2nd back in the draft or in FA, like Corey Dillon.

Wee! Look at all of our former draft picks at work! :doh:

What difference does it make? Instead of it residing in NY, it's now in Chicago. Could we have used it to trade for a Dline player? I thought the chant here was build thru the draft. Rocky was a better pick than what we would have gotten at 53. Would we have wanted Jones more than keeping Betts? Debatable. Consider it moving up to 32 last year instead of 37 this year.

Archived