Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is our D line as bad as we all think?

lvredfan

We got youth and vets up and down our D line. At DT we had 2 rookies step in and get some good playing time. We still got Joe S, and CG. At the DE Andre Carter with a young hungry first round pick at DE. We still got phillip also. I think the D line will be fine. We will finish in the top 10 in defense again.:dallasuck

We got youth and vets up and down our D line. At DT we had 2 rookies step in and get some good playing time. We still got Joe S, and CG. At the DE Andre Carter with a young hungry first round pick at DE. We still got phillip also. I think the D line will be fine. We will finish in the top 10 in defense again.:dallasuck

The D line can be fine if we are smart and get the right player in the draft.

Hmmmm..... Did you see our last game? The Atlanta game? How about Tennessee? If you did, it'd be hard not to acknowledge this was our teams most glaring weakness.

The bad news is our youth is still unproven, our vets are getting old, Joe S and CG both had terrible years thanks to some injuries, Carter needed almost half the year to finally get it going, Daniels did have 3 sacks, but seemed invisible when we really needed some pressure.

Now, all is not lost. The good news is that Carter did in fact improve drastically over the weeks, CG and JS can heal up and give another solid season or two, Fletcher will provide the leadership we've been missing, and we'll use the #6 pick (trade down or not) on improving the line even more.

Finishing in the top 10 seems like a stretch. Possible, but a stretch. Top 15 would be fine in my book, so long as we force more than 12 friggin turnovers.

The D Line will be fine if we stay healthy and make the right draft pick. I think Carter was progressing as expected by season's end. I'd also like to see Griffin stay healthy for a whole season. Plus, I haven't see too much love for Golston and I think he was a pleasant surprise last year too.

last year our Dline was worse than you can imagine. daniels is old and slow, no rush whatsoever, carter didnt figure out how to play DE until week 11 (cant blame him really, at least he ended very strong), griffin was not 100% and it showed, and salavea was worthless, which meant golston had to step in, and golston is a junior version of griffin, not a mammoth run stuffer. coupled with a tiny lemar marshall at MLB, a doormat warrick holdman, and marcus washington, we probably had the worst front 7 in football.

the Redskins line has holes. that said, the line will be better with a healthy Griffin in the middle, a Carter that now seems settled down in the scheme and better support from the linebacking corps. you can also point to the offseason work of Kedric Golston in getting stronger as a positive development for 2007.

so, yes this defensive line can be better in 2007 than it was in 2006.

But for the line to really take the step up to being a playoff-caliber front, the Redskins need to add an anchor, a player who gets the attention of the offense and is able to create mismatches for the other players who can then cause turnovers and get sacks.

It would be a great move to see the team trade down and still be able to get one of the top d-linemen and also add a player in round 2 that is also a DL or OL.

But getting the right player at #6 even if no other move is made could be enough if the other players come back healthy and ready to improve on 2006.

Yeah, it's still pretty bad.

However, with the right addition in the draft...it can get better. Also Carter ended strong last year, so that was very encouraging to see.

The big problem is that the key players on that line got one year older (Griffin, Daniels) and you can't expect guys like Golston or Montgomery to be starter-calibur players that quickly.

One right pick on the d-line, along with a hopefully improved linebacking core and secondary will lead to at least a top 15 defense again.

We have pieces of a good dline, but the whole is below average. We need more. I'm for an end, others are for a tackle. We have been unable to pressure with our front four for three years, but we have been very good against the run for two. What killed us most last year was our inability to ever get a stop on 3rd. Even third and 26 seemed very makeable for opponents last year. Almost every qb had probowl numbers against us. We need to take steps to prevent that from repeating.

"Is our D line as bad as we all think?"

Resounding yes IMO...

According to football outsiders (a respected site I believe) if I am reading this right we are ranked:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl.php

Run defense / blocking

30th

Pass defense

sack rank

last in league with 20

Carter I feel could be poised for a great year - everyone else is suspect IMO. I think a trade down for a DE and DT is a must. My guys are Carriker and Tyler ideally. If we can only have one DL, I vote for a DT either Branch or Okoye.

Give me the kid with the motaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!! I don't want some big fat puke who quit in individual drills because of frustration. (I'm talking to you Branch) I would rather have a kid thats smart and tenacious. Okoye is the pick.

Digressing, but isn't he related the Nigerian Nightmare?

Our stats says it all. Big drop in sacks and turnovers last year. Hopefully Branch, Anderson or Adams in the draft would help. If we trade down, Carriker, Johnson , Moss, or Tyler would be a good pick.

:notworthy to the :helmet:

"Is our D line as bad as we all think?"

Resounding yes IMO...

According to football outsiders (a respected site I believe) if I am reading this right we are ranked:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl.php

Run defense / blocking

30th

Pass defense

sack rank

last in league with 20

Carter I feel could be poised for a great year - everyone else is suspect IMO. I think a trade down for a DE and DT is a must. My guys are Carriker and Tyler ideally. If we can only have one DL, I vote for a DT either Branch or Okoye.

Okoye looks good, but i think Jamaal Anderson has even more potential. Plus, there are so many top tier dlineman this year, we can trade down to 9 or 10 and still get Branch Adams Anderson Okoye Carriker, only 1 of them should be gone, get a 2nd rounder, and then get a DT or DE. I think we should go DE in the first and DT in the second.

But anyway, our dline was horrific, horrible, thesaurus.com bad, sucky, trash, etc and you can get a good impression of how our line played.

The Dline is dreadful...just because you saw 4 bodies in a 3-point stance on each and every down doesn't mean we are fine.

We were dead last in sacks and it wasn't even close.

We set an all-time NFL record (80 years of football) for fewest turnovers forced by a team. In the history of the league, I'd imagine that there are roughly 1500 "seasons" in the record books. That's saying something.

On the bright side we were 27th against the run.

Yes, I know that LBs bare some of the responsibility for the above stats. But you'll find that the teams that excel in these 3 areas tend to get the most out of their Dlines. We got nothing out of ours and it showed.

Players like Golston, Montgomery, and Carter have an opportunity to improve. You go into this season hoping that Griffin can just regain his 2004/5 level after a year of injuries. But being on the wrong side of 30 - I'd say it's about a 50/50 shot. Wynn and Daniels are who they - solid run stoppers at best who offer zilch rushing the passer. They would be rotational players (10-15 snaps) at best on good teams but for us they are starting material.

IMO, if we wanted a good Dline we'd need 3 players added: 2 DEs, and a NT. If we wanted to just be adequate, we could add a NT and a LE. Unfortunately, it looks like we will only be in position to add one player (of any consequence) via the draft or free agency - the #6 overall pick. The prospects of the Dline play improving considerably are not good.

However, I do expect the LBs and DBs to play MUCH better, so look for a ranking in the 15-18 range.

How much of the offense, that went 3 and out on a regular basis last year had to do with are d line troubles, We got worn down last year. Remember the Giants game they beat us 19 to 3 they had the ball almost the whole game. Lots of factors went into our D line being bad last year.

Okoye looks good, but i think Jamaal Anderson has even more potential. Plus, there are so many top tier dlineman this year, we can trade down to 9 or 10 and still get Branch Adams Anderson Okoye Carriker, only 1 of them should be gone, get a 2nd rounder, and then get a DT or DE. I think we should go DE in the first and DT in the second.

I like Anderson too Siven, but Carriker intrigues me also...

But anyway, our dline was horrific, horrible, thesaurus.com bad, sucky, trash, etc and you can get a good impression of how our line played.

So you're saying not so good I take it - ballpark?;)

How much of the offense, that went 3 and out on a regular basis last year had to do with are d line troubles, We got worn down last year. Remember the Giants game they beat us 19 to 3 they had the ball almost the whole game. Lots of factors went into our D line being bad last year.

The problem with this argument is that the D couldn't force a stop in the first quarter. They were consistently horrendous. This statement could be true in 2004 and 2005, but last year, they were porous from the start of the game to the end.

We have pieces of a good dline, but the whole is below average. We need more. I'm for an end, others are for a tackle. We have been unable to pressure with our front four for three years, but we have been very good against the run for two. What killed us most last year was our inability to ever get a stop on 3rd. Even third and 26 seemed very makeable for opponents last year. Almost every qb had probowl numbers against us. We need to take steps to prevent that from repeating.

I'm all for drafting a Dlineman and have been practically begging this franchise to do so for ten years.

At first, I was all about Alan Branch with our pick at #6. A big space eater beside Griffin who would command a double team a free Griff and Carter up to get into the backfield.

But with Daniels at age 34 and our lack of day one picks, I hope we trade down and make a play for Carriker out of Nebraska. At 6'6" 295, he has the speed (4.18 shuttle time) to play DE and the strength(225 lbs @ 33 reps) to play DT.

If in the trade down we wind up with a second or third round pick, I hope we use it on the best guard or tackle available.

Thoughts?

The offense couldnt produce a answer to the opp score. To put the blame totaly on our D is well deserved but when a team drives down your throat wears you down, mental and physical wise then your offense goes out and puts together a 3 and out it kills a team. Or how about a corner who cant cover, and a SS who was lost in our D. The D line is going to be fine next year I didnt say great but with smoot back and a solid middle linebacker, alll will be back to normal for our D.

Archived