Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DRAFT: Manuel Ramirez OG from Texas Tech

XtremeFan55

See that made me chuckle. We havent drafted a quality D-lineman in years. Everyone and their mothers dog knows that.

Projects like Golston and Molinaro aren't what anyone considers anything but depth.

Besides didnt we just draft that stud Jim Molinaro in 2004? We can't be wasting all of our picks on O-line every year :laugh:

I already said that we haven't really drafted much help on either the offensive or defensive front lately. I know that! However, we have acquired a lot of free agent help for the defensive line, and hardly any free agent help for the offensive line. We just got Andre Carter. We recently got Cornelius Griffin and Phillip Daniels. What comparably skilled player have we acquired in that time frame to help on the offensive line? I would be fine with getting a FA guard, but most of the available ones are either old or projects, that is why we need to look to the draft.
Listen, I don't want to go round and round with you over nothing. For once I'll believe what coach says and that D-line> O_line but damn if both arent a position we need to draft the hell out of in the coming years.
Well, we both agree that we need serious help in the trenches, and that is the main thing.

Oldskool, in addition to my above post in reply to you, let me put this another way.

We have 5 defensive tackles on on the depth chart (Griffin, Salave'a, Golston, Montgomery, and Boschetti), all of whom have been acquired since 2004. We have 5 defensive ends on the depth chart (Carter, Daniels, Wynn, Evans, and Sykes), most of whom are also relatively recent acquisitions.

By comparison, we have only 1 gaurd on the depth chart (Thomas)! One friggin' gaurd! We have one solid RG, we do not have a LG at all, and we have no back up gaurds for either the RG or LG spot.

Thats very true that the need for a possible starting LG and depth at guard and the O-line in general is horrible and is something that needs to be addressed, but this is something that, unlike a 2-gap DT, can be addressed in FA still. There is quite a list of guards that can still be had.

Conversely, we have 1 2-gap DT on the roster (Salave'a) who was injured last year, has never played 16 games in one season and who's skills have declined to the point that he needs to have a rotation with a 6th round pick/depth DT (who's NOT a 2-gap DT) to be sucessful. Add to this that there are no 2 gap DT's available in FA, and that is why 2-gap DT > LG in the draft.

Thats very true that the need for a possible starting LG and depth at guard and the O-line in general is horrible and is something that needs to be addressed, but this is something that, unlike a 2-gap DT, can be addressed in FA still. There is quite a list of guards that can still be had.

Conversely, we have 1 2-gap DT on the roster (Salave'a) who was injured last year, has never played 16 games in one season and who's skills have declined to the point that he needs to have a rotation with a 6th round pick/depth DT (who's NOT a 2-gap DT) to be sucessful. Add to this that there are no 2 gap DT's available in FA, and that is why 2-gap DT > LG in the draft.

Yeah, you're right, we need both a big boy to stuff the run on defense and a starting caliber guard. It sounds to me like we need more draft picks. :(

Oldskool, in addition to my above post in reply to you, let me put this another way.

We have 5 defensive tackles on on the depth chart (Griffin, Salave'a, Golston, Montgomery, and Boschetti), all of whom have been acquired since 2004. We have 5 defensive ends on the depth chart (Carter, Daniels, Wynn, Evans, and Sykes), most of whom are also relatively recent acquisitions.

By comparison, we have only 1 guard on the depth chart (Thomas)! One friggin' guard! We have one solid RG, we do not have a LG at all, and we have no back up guards for either the RG or LG spot.

Now, you tell me what is the more pressing need.

http://www.redskins.com/team/depthchart.jsp

You could not possibly be more wrong about the d-line. We need to draft defensive lineman BADLY. Which unit on our team was the worst last season, in your opinion? It sure was no the o-line. We have 4 very good lineman as starters right now. You cannot say the same about the d-line. Golston played well for a 6th round pick, but Montgomery is merely a project. Daniels and Wynn are ancient, Salavea and Griffin are always hurt, and AC is small, so he needs help to keep blockers off of him.

Right now, our offense looks good, even without Dock. If we spend our pick on a OG, we will be 5-11 again.

What's the argument here? The OP said to use the first round pick (after trade down) on the DL and to use a 3rd round pick (acquired via trade) on the OL. Makes perfect sense to me. On the OL we now have Pucillo as the only backup. Molinaro is gone. Wade is gone. Do you want the Skins to wait for a June 1st cut or address the need in the draft? Of course, if Skins sign Petigout then the debate is moot.

Right now we have the following draft selections:

2007 draft picks:

Rd. 1 (6th)

Rd. 5 (133rd)

Rd. 6 (164th)

Rd. 7 (197th)

If we acquire a 2nd or 3rd round pick, im sure that it won't go to OG. Gibbs has said that OG isn't as big of a concern as people might think. I'm going to side with coach on this one.

and saint gibbs has never ever thrown any smoke screens before ,right?

I'd rather have Grubb, but most likely he won't be around with our 2nd pick unless we trade down...which is a distinct possibility.
Why not trade down, take Grubbs with our first rounder, and take a DT with whatever later pick (2nd or 3rd rounder) we get?

ya know what's funny is Cedric Dockery is coming out in the next several years (yes that is derrick's brother). He's much better than Derrick and could be a nice lineman

but I like Duckworth and Grubbs as an Auburn fan. I feel that Grubbs would be a better fit here

I'm all for continuing our recent "success" at ignoring the D line and over reacting to different non-essential positions in the draft.

Please tell us more, I'm intrigued by your words. Can I sign up for your newsletter?

We still need to draft a Guard to groom for the future.

Archived