Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DRAFT: Manuel Ramirez OG from Texas Tech

XtremeFan55

if we somehow trade down and pick up a 2nd or low 3rd round pick...how about solving the OL problem with this guy.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/og/manuelramirez.html

guy did 40 reps at the combine and lifted 550 lbs last year...about Dockery's size but stronger.

one site even went on to say that he was one of the most underrated player in the draft and went on to also say that he was the best guard in the state of Texas..implying that he's better than Justin Blaylock.

has great foot work...a big plus with Bugel..

also..think from a marketing angle which is something I'm sure Snyder also considers....having an Hispanic player in one of the largest Hispanic markets in the country.

use the 1st round to address the DL...either Okoye or Carriker...or maybe even Pit****.

then use the next pick on this guy....I like him better than Grubbs from Auburn.

Great idea! I would really like to see us draft Auburn LG Ben Grubbs, but as long as we draft a talented guard I'll be happy.

I must say this though: This guy won't be a good pulling guard, like Grubbs or some other more athletic guys. An athletic guard would really be a better fit for for us becuase Buges likes to have his guards pull. This guy is more about strength and less about athleticism.

Like I said though, as long as we draft an offensive linemen, I'm happy.

great linemen are found in the 2nd-4th rounds, I don't really care who we draft, but I do believe we have a 4th rounder, and I am sure we will recover a 2nd and/or 3rd from a team. Even if we trade one spot down, we should get a 2nd, as the Lions did in 2004 by trading only one spot down from 6 to 7 with the Browns. Browns got Winslow, Lions took Roy Williams, and later traded that new 2nd up a bit for Kevin Jones.

I'm all for continuing our recent "success" at ignoring the D line and over reacting to different non-essential positions in the draft.

Why does everybody say we ignore the defensive line? We drafted two defensive linemen last year (Montgomery and Golston). We added a free agent defensive end last year (Carter). We also added defensive line talent in previous years as well (Griffin and Daniels).

If anything, we are ignoring the offensive line, not the defensive line. We have not acquired a good offensive linemen in years. Samuels and Jansen were great draft picks, but that was 7 years ago! Thomas was a great free agent acquisition, but that was under Spurrier. What have we done lately in this department? Almost nothing, exept bringing in Rabach, which I think we all agree was a good move.

With Dockery gone, we can no longer continue to ignore the O line. We have put this off long enough, we need to draft a top tier offensive linemen this season.

Oh yeah, and you must be crazy if you think LG is a "non-essential" position.

Where is Brandon Duckworth (G, Auburn) projected to go?
Not sure, but I like another Auburn linemen in the first round, Ben Grubbs (LG). Hey, the more members of the '04 Tigers, the better! It can only be a good thing to reunite Jason Campbel with his former teammates.

I'm all for continuing our recent "success" at ignoring the D line and over reacting to different non-essential positions in the draft.

Please tell us more, I'm intrigued by your words. Can I sign up for your newsletter?

just because we use a 2nd/3rd rounder on an o-lineman doesnt me we ignore the d-line.

did our first rounder somehow dissapear?

And offensive line is non-essential? :rolleyes: One flaw in the offensive line could basically break our entire offense

great linemen are found in the 2nd-4th rounds, I don't really care who we draft, but I do believe we have a 4th rounder, and I am sure we will recover a 2nd and/or 3rd from a team. Even if we trade one spot down, we should get a 2nd, as the Lions did in 2004 by trading only one spot down from 6 to 7 with the Browns. Browns got Winslow, Lions took Roy Williams, and later traded that new 2nd up a bit for Kevin Jones.

I think the 4th rd pick was used on Lloyd.

And you can't really compare anything with what happened in 2004 between the Lions and Browns. The Story behind that was Butch Davis was desperate to get either Winlsow or Taylor. They actually had a deal to trade up with the Giants at #4 to get Taylor. But San Diego called and offered to trade Eli up if they took Rivers. Once the Skins took Taylor at #5, it was Winslow sitting there for Detroit who had a need for him. So bascially the Skins need a player to be sitting their at #6 that a team behind is desperate to move up for.

Why does everybody say we ignore the defensive line? We drafted two defensive linemen last year (Montgomery and Golston). We added a free agent defensive end last year (Carter). We also added defensive line talent in previous years as well (Griffin and Daniels).

If anything, we are ignoring the offensive line, not the defensive line. We have not acquired a good offensive linemen in years. Samuels and Jansen were great draft picks, but that was 7 years ago! Thomas was a great free agent acquisition, but that was under Spurrier. What have we done lately in this department? Almost nothing, exept bringing in Rabach, which I think we all agree was a good move.

With Dockery gone, we can no longer continue to ignore the O line. We have put this off long enough, we need to draft a top tier offensive linemen this season.

Oh yeah, and you must be crazy if you think LG is a "non-essential" position.

You seriously fail to realize that a player taken in the later rounds of a draft (usually) does not have the same talent level as a player taken in the 1st or 2nd rounds of the draft.

If youre logic holds true, then we should take a guard with the 5th round selection and be done with it.

just because we use a 2nd/3rd rounder on an o-lineman doesnt me we ignore the d-line.

did our first rounder somehow dissapear?

And offensive line is non-essential? :rolleyes: One flaw in the offensive line could basically break our entire offense

Right now we have the following draft selections:

2007 draft picks:

Rd. 1 (6th)

Rd. 5 (133rd)

Rd. 6 (164th)

Rd. 7 (197th)

If we acquire a 2nd or 3rd round pick, im sure that it won't go to OG. Gibbs has said that OG isn't as big of a concern as people might think. I'm going to side with coach on this one.

You seriously fail to realize that a player taken in the later rounds of a draft (usually) does not have the same talent level as a player taken in the 1st or 2nd rounds of the draft.

If youre logic holds true, then we should take a guard with the 5th round selection and be done with it.

I admit, I was thinking in terms of acquistions in general rather than draft picks in particular. My point was that last season we got Andre Carter, Cedric Golston, and Anthony Montgomery. Just recently, we also got Cornelius Griffin and Phillip Daniels. That is a lot of recently acquired talent on the defensive line. By comparison, we acquired Samuels 7 years ago, Jansen 8 years ago, Thomas 4 or 5 years ago, and Rabach 2 years ago. So, we have focused a lot of recent effort acquiring defensive line talent, but have focused hardly any recent effort in acquiring offensive linemen.

I am fully aware that we have not drafted a defensive linemen in the first round since Kenard Lang. You should be aware that we have not drafted an offensive linemen in the first round since Chris Samuels. (By the way, which do you think worked out better?) So, it is safe to say that it has been some time since we used a first pick to get help in the trenches on either side of the ball. The big difference is that we have acquired a lot of free agent help on defensive line since then, but hardly any free agent help on the offensive line by comparison.

We cannot spend all of our effort picking up defensive linemen every year. We have ignored the offensive line for too long, and now with Dockery done, the chickens have come home to roost. We need to get a good offensive linemen this season, one way or another. Looking at the FA pool, the draft seems to be our best bet.

I think the 4th rd pick was used on Lloyd.

And you can't really compare anything with what happened in 2004 between the Lions and Browns. The Story behind that was Butch Davis was desperate to get either Winlsow or Taylor. They actually had a deal to trade up with the Giants at #4 to get Taylor. But San Diego called and offered to trade Eli up if they took Rivers. Once the Skins took Taylor at #5, it was Winslow sitting there for Detroit who had a need for him. So bascially the Skins need a player to be sitting their at #6 that a team behind is desperate to move up for.

LaRon Landry, and Brady Quinn. Houston wants Quinn, and ATL wants LaRon Landry.

So, we draft Jamaal Anderson, grab a 2nd, maybe a third, draft a DT, then with the third, draft a Guard

bam, all holes filled on defense

Please tell us more, I'm intrigued by your words. Can I sign up for your newsletter?

The offensive line is non-essential?? :doh:

LaRon Landry, and Brady Quinn. Houston wants Quinn, and ATL wants LaRon Landry.

So, we draft Jamaal Anderson, grab a 2nd, maybe a third, draft a DT, then with the third, draft a Guard

bam, all holes filled on defense

I heard Atlanta wants Calvin Johnson. LaRon Landry will probably be there at 10.

Houston probably Adrian Peterson.

We cannot spend all of our effort picking up defensive linemen every year.

\

See that made me chuckle. We havent drafted a quality D-lineman in years. Everyone and their mothers dog knows that.

Projects like Golston and Molinaro aren't what anyone considers anything but depth.

Besides didnt we just draft that stud Jim Molinaro in 2004? We can't be wasting all of our picks on O-line every year :laugh:

Listen, I don't want to go round and round with you over nothing. For once I'll believe what coach says and that D-line> O_line but damn if both arent a position we need to draft the hell out of in the coming years.

I agree with Oldskool. The DL is in bigger need of an upgrade right now. I don't care who they've signed in recent years. That group just isn't good.

They will need to start addressing the OL soon, though. IF the Skins don't trade away all of their 2008 picks, they can start working on it then.

Oldskool, in addition to my above post in reply to you, let me put this another way.

We have 5 defensive tackles on on the depth chart (Griffin, Salave'a, Golston, Montgomery, and Boschetti), all of whom have been acquired since 2004. We have 5 defensive ends on the depth chart (Carter, Daniels, Wynn, Evans, and Sykes), most of whom are also relatively recent acquisitions.

By comparison, we have only 1 guard on the depth chart (Thomas)! One friggin' guard! We have one solid RG, we do not have a LG at all, and we have no back up guards for either the RG or LG spot.

Now, you tell me what is the more pressing need.

http://www.redskins.com/team/depthchart.jsp

Archived