Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shawn Springs trading rumors from WP, what do you think ?

FrFan

He would have to agree to a contract extension ala Jansen or Brunnell...

Brunell didn't get an extension. He (for all intents and purposes) had his old contract torn up and got a one-year deal with no financial or practical commitments from either party after the '07 season.

I've been saying all along, we're stuck with each other. We can't replace him with anyone better this season, and he's still under contract to the Skins until they say otherwise.

I agree he is starting to look more and more unsympathetic. I don't like the idea of someone trying to hold a team hostage in order to guarantee his security for the length of his deal. The best guarantee is to let your play dictate your value.

If we can't trade Springs or he won't buy his way out, then we should look to restructure. Here is what he is getting paid this next few years:

2007 4.9

2008 5.0

2009 6.0

If we signed him to a 4 year 19.2 mil deal, the payout would be the same. Here are my assumptions (year, salary, cap hit, cost to cut)

2007-2.50-6.25-12.50

2008-2.95-6.70-8.75

2009-4.25-8.00-5.00

2010-4.50-5.75-1.25

We would realistically need to keep Springs at least two years under this deal. In 2009 we could make him a June 1st cut and take hits of 3.75 mil in 2009 and 1.25 mil in 2010, which is very manageable.

I think Springs has 2-3 more solid years, and while his cap hits may be higher than desired under this deal, there aren't many good restructuring options because of the signing bonus already paid on his previous deal....

i just wonder what our CB corp. is gonna look like. we have rogers and smoot now, wright is gone, rumph was waived last year, jimoh is a FA and hasnt been signed (to my knowledge) and it looks like springs is going to leave via trade/cut. that leaves us smoot and rogers, and that eubanks kid that portis was hyping up. hopefully we start to sign some smaller nickel type guys, or maybe we trade springs for a draft pick and sign a young corner. i actually feel ok about smoot and rogers if we can get a real pass rush.

This is one situation where I have no problem with either Springs or the team. The team knows he isn't in the future plans like Smoot and Rogers are.

Springs knows this, too. He also knows he may not be in anyone's future plans in another year or two. The 'Skins have no quarrel with paying his contract out for this year. I think he'll do that, but I also think this year is his last.

Then you ask the question: do you trade him now and take a hit in talent and on the cap this year, or do you wait another year and hope you can find someone to take his place, but probably get nothing in return?

nicely stated sir!

i just wonder what our CB corp. is gonna look like. we have rogers and smoot now, wright is gone, rumph was waived last year, jimoh is a FA and hasnt been signed (to my knowledge) and it looks like springs is going to leave via trade/cut. that leaves us smoot and rogers, and that eubanks kid that portis was hyping up. hopefully we start to sign some smaller nickel type guys, or maybe we trade springs for a draft pick and sign a young corner. i actually feel ok about smoot and rogers if we can get a real pass rush.

I see where you are coming from...but think it will require more than just one change on the DL to get that pass rush.

If we can't trade Springs or he won't buy his way out, then we should look to restructure. Here is what he is getting paid this next few years:

2007 4.9

2008 5.0

2009 6.0

If we signed him to a 4 year 19.2 mil deal, the payout would be the same. Here are my assumptions (year, salary, cap hit, cost to cut)

2007-2.50-6.25-12.50

2008-2.95-6.70-8.75

2009-4.25-8.00-5.00

2010-4.50-5.75-1.25

We would realistically need to keep Springs at least two years under this deal. In 2009 we could make him a June 1st cut and take hits of 3.75 mil in 2009 and 1.25 mil in 2010, which is very manageable.

I think Springs has 2-3 more solid years, and while his cap hits may be higher than desired under this deal, there aren't many good restructuring options because of the signing bonus already paid on his previous deal....

disco...nice post. how do you break out bonus from base salary?

I see where you are coming from...but think it will require more than just one change on the DL to get that pass rush.

and you are right. but we have to take steps. obviously were going to draft Dline help. but i mean, the only two starters i feel really confident on the dline at the moment are carter and a healthy griffin (and hopefully that isnt a stretch). daniels needs to go, golston is good for depth, but we need another good run stopping, decent pass rushing DE, and a huge DT. hopefully we can figure something out.

and you are right. but we have to take steps. obviously were going to draft Dline help. but i mean, the only two starters i feel really confident on the dline at the moment are carter and a healthy griffin (and hopefully that isnt a stretch). daniels needs to go, golston is good for depth, but we need another good run stopping, decent pass rushing DE, and a huge DT. hopefully we can figure something out.

bingo!!!!!!

the last game of the season against the giants, i saw shawn out in the parking lot after the game and patted him on his shoulder :D, the broken one, and said have a good offseason and rest up. he was like "man you cant do that i just broke that last week." i just looked at him and smiled.

And you're proud about this??? Dude, truly, the team for you is the Eagles. :doh:

I'll tell you right now, that trade with Denver where we get absolutely killed by losing Springs and Betts to get Bly might end up being a trade that saves the team this year.

Without Springs or Bly, we cannot go all the way. I know we probably won't even with one of the two, but you still have to give yourself a chance.

You play to win the game.

If we're losing Springs either way, I'm fine with losing Betts as well to pick up Bly. I don't like it, but I understand the necessity.

Healthy, Springs is better than Bly

but that's the question

and I would only consider a trade if Washngton got fair or greater value

plus don't trade Betts or Portis

Yep,

As I said in the other thread,

Denver screwed up and they are the ones stuck with a disgruntled, one year rental that they gave up two players and a pick for. If they want to trade him to us then they pay the premium this time.

-We have springs under contract and we are not obligated to do anything. He is a wash on the cap if we trade, cut, or keep him. So If denver wants a deal then a one for one + our TJ Ducket picks returned is the only deal I would do.

I fully expect us to draft DT first and if we can't get a 2nd rounder in a trade down I expect us to trade next years #1 for a early 2nd and draft a DE.

i am beginning to like him less and less every day now.

why?

That actually makes sense and he's not slamming the club. He'd be stupid not to suspect the club would release him in the summer. His numbers are high.

He said he'd play for his full salary but he doesn't want the club to pretend like they are going to keep him simply to up his trade value.

Archived