Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D.J. Strawberry - a Redskin WR? What do you think?

Piledriven

Do any of you all follow Univ. of Maryland Basketball? If so, you know that DJ Strawberry is quick as a cat and on the break is faster than anyone on the court...and at 6'5" thats a lot of speed and size. Plus he has great hands when the ball comes his way...

I have an idea...

Would it be possible for the Redskins to pick up DJ Strawberry really late in the draft or as an undrafted free agent and try to mold him into a WR?

Can you imagine that speed and quickness along with that 6'5" size?? Might be a GREAT sleeper if the Skins could pull it off...

Please weigh in on what you think...

Thanks!

:point2sky

NBA players are the highest paid among US pro athletes. Also, to my knowledge, the dude doesn't play football. Of all the multisport pros to play, I don't know of any who went to the highest level without having first developed their skills in each sport. Heck, Michael Jordan couldn't make it out of the minors in baseball. Oh yea, one other thing, S. Taylor or Ray Lewis aren't hovering around the rim to separate D.J. from the ball!!! Soooo... what I think is that it wont work!!!!!:helmet: :no:

There are no reports saying that DJ Strawberry is an NBA prospect... There is always the possibility of him playing in the NBA, but currently he is not on the NBA radar to be drafted at all. NBA scouts do not think he is good enough shooter to make it in the NBA.

Anyways, all said aside.... If he were not to opt for the NBA and the Skins could give him a nudge to put himself into the NFL mix, all I am asking is if he could work out as a sleeper WR...

What do you all think... A basketball player in football pads...

All I have to say is: ANTONIO GATES

Antonio Gates did not play football in college...so who says it cannot be done.

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=35035

Stop thinking inside the box... Of course he does not play football, and of course sean taylor and ray lewis arent guarding the rim when he plays bball, but could they really jump with him and his size? I dont see Ray Lewis stopping Antonio Gates from cathing the ball...

All I am saying is what if?

Plus he has the potential to make more money in the NFL as a WR than he would as a sub-par guard in the NBA...

I'm all for the Redskins getting creative, but not using draftpicks on someone like this....if he was an UDFA, that's fine. The chance of it working out is pretty slim, but that is the way it is with UDFA, so the risk is low....

come on, you made a thread to talk about this?

Is this really going ot happen? NO.

Should I start a thread about Yao Ming becoming a WR for us? HE could jsut jump up and out catch it.

Shaquille coudl play DE. He would be like ed "three tall" jones.

He is not just FAST... I said he has great QUICKNESS, he is extremely FAST, AND he has great WR size as 6'5"

I am not talking about any US Track star....Speed isnt everything... But when this guy has the whole package and has a great WR body, why not take a chance with him as an undrafted free agent?

Speed, and SIZE... possibilities are endless...

Did you think Marty was thinking it could not be done when he drafted Gates?

Just because DJ is a bball player does not mean he is not an athlete who cannot play football...plenty of bball players play football...

Read this article and at the end it lists a bunch of NFL players who never played college football...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/2005-04-20-no-college-experience_x.htm

Piledriven, I suspect that you will soon lose the ability to start new threads like this.

A thread about why don't the Redskins use a draft pick to pick up a local basketball player is probably cluttering up the front page 3 days after the start of Free Agency IMHO.

DJ is a great athlete with all of the attributes you mentioned and more, so I think he might just be able to do it. But there really isn't any reason for him to do it because he should make a lot of money playing basketball in Europe or even in the NBA, if he continues to improve his shooting.

Now, if you want to see a Terps basketball player on the Redskins, wait until next year when Boom Osby graduates. At 6'6" and 250+ pounds of solid muscle, Boom has one of the better pair of hands that I've seen on a basketball court. He may have the makings of a tight end.

Cphil...

I never said anything about any 7 foot tall donkey like Yao playing football, or Shaq playing DE (even tho Shaq was an all-state DE in high school)

I am thinking realistically about a guy who is 6'5" with great speed and great hands on defense in ball about possibly playing WR... I mean come on, who has not seen a 6'5" WR before?

If we could get him as an UDFA....wouldnt that be worth a try? An opportunity to get a hidden gem...?

Would the Redskins be the team that they are with all the history if George Allen did not hold an open try out? Heck, G. Allen even tried out Andre the Giant, I know it did not work out, but what was the harm in trying. In the process George Allen did find some hidden gems...

...like has anyone heard of Herb Mul-key?

if not, read:

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=21483

GO SKINS!

:helmet:

Sonny,

I do agree....Boom Boom Osby does has the football size...his hands seem suspect to me tho at times when passed the ball...btu he has good hands when he rebounds...I just wonder how it would turn out on the football field... And I believe Boom Boom is 6'8"

And Rocky...I'm not really saying to use a draft pick...I am thinking about more on the lines of an undrafted free agent.

Go Skins

There are no reports saying that DJ Strawberry is an NBA prospect... There is always the possibility of him playing in the NBA, but currently he is not on the NBA radar to be drafted at all. NBA scouts do not think he is good enough shooter to make it in the NBA.

Really? You must not follow the NBA very much. See this popuplar NBA Draft site.

It lists DJ as the 49th top NBA prospect.

Hmmm, what team does Chevy Troutman play for these days. I think he lasted two days at the most.

Yea...maybe so... But where is the harm? Dont use a draft pick, get him as an UDFA and see what happens...thats the beauty of the preseason

Instead, we have a FO who has their head stuck so far up their bum that they never look outside the box! *Cough* *Cough* Vinny *Cough* Cerrato

I do like Smoot back though...

GO SKINS

If Steve Blake can start in the NBA, DJ can at least come off the bench.

He is not just FAST... I said he has great QUICKNESS, he is extremely FAST, AND he has great WR size as 6'5"

I am not talking about any US Track star....Speed isnt everything... But when this guy has the whole package and has a great WR body, why not take a chance with him as an undrafted free agent?

Speed, and SIZE... possibilities are endless...

Did you think Marty was thinking it could not be done when he drafted Gates?

Just because DJ is a bball player does not mean he is not an athlete who cannot play football...plenty of bball players play football...

Read this article and at the end it lists a bunch of NFL players who never played college football...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/2005-04-20-no-college-experience_x.htm

Interesting article. The list at the end, of NFL players who never played college football, is eye-opening. Obviously A. Gates with the Chargers. Lots of ex-college b-ball players: Sam Clancy had a decent NFL career, jumping to the league from Pitt basketball without NFL experience. Marcus Pollard, TE for Indy. Remember Preston Pearson from the Cowboys? He's on the list. In fact, Dallas shows up on the list more than any other team. They must have had a knack for developing talent beyond college football rosters.

Don't know about Strawberry specifically - it's an interesting thought, though. Did he play high school football?

Archived