Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our New Hole to Fill - Left Guard

armada58

Wade would be cheaper too. He has already gotten his big deal with the Texans. I think the man just wants a home. He has enough left at 30. I think he could last 3-4 more years. Give him a contract a bit less than what Jansen got--something like 5-years 23 mil with a 10 mil SB.

I'm not thrilled on the idea of breaking the bank of Davis. If we can get him without giving him a contract the size of what Dockery got, then I'm all for it. If not, then either resign Todd Wade, or try to trade down and draft a new guard.

If it isn't Davis, they will look strongly at Saints Guard Montrae Holland. At least that's what I've heard...

Too late................KFFL:

"Broncos | Holland signs one-year contract

Sun, 4 Mar 2007 01:12:16 -0800

The Associated Press reports the Denver Broncos have signed free agent OG Montrae Holland (Saints) to a one-contract."

I'd look at Rick DeMulling if he's over his injury problems in Detroit. He was a very good player in Indi from 2001-2004. He'll come cheaper than some of the others mentioned and could tide us over nicely until we groom a longer term replacement.

Wade was very stout in his one start in place of Jansen. If my memory serves we had a huge rushing day, and he gave up no sacks. Keep Jansen were he is. Put Wade in place of Dock. The Idea of moving Rabach to guard is interesting if they could get a taller center maybe JC wouldn't have to bend at the knees in such a dramatic fashion to receive the ball. I am serious about the Wade part, the second part just interesting observation

I think it's hilarious that people are endorsing Todd Wade based on the sole evaluation of one game against the Saints.

Geez, apparently it doesn't take much for people to have an opinion.... and confident enough to actually share it with other people.

Wondering why Jim Molinaro is not considered an option at LG? He is roughly the same build as our other O-Linemen more tall, lean, and athletic then big and slow. One of the problems with Dockery and Leonard Davis is their ability to block in space, or even to make it into the open in a timely manner to lay down a block.

Factor in his knowledge of the playbook and already developed chemistry with the other linemen and he maybe worth a long look during camp and preseason, along with Pucillo.

I see this as a sign that we might have to trade down in the draft. The #6 is too much of a luxury for the needs we have.

If we trade down, get a lower to mid 1st round D-line presence, and use the additional pick on a guard, I'd be happy.

Dock was a 3rd rounder. I say we go with our current depth at guard and hope we get a draft pick in the 2nd or 3rd round that can step in and play if needed, and hopefully be a legitimate starter down the road.

Financially this makes much more sense to me than letting Dock go, one of our own, only to spend that same money, or more, on a Davis type.

There are still decent mid level guards out there, who actually will be cheaper and be able to fit what Saunders is trying to do better than Dock.

Rick DeMulling http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=269&season=8

Cooper Carlisle http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=707

Jordan Black(played w/ Saunders in KC and can also play takle) http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/jordan_black/

This guys is a UFA.

In a free agency period when guards merit a lot of attention, Mahan is going to do well in the secondary market. He's a tough in-line blocker with some movement skills, and it's a little surprising the Bucs have soured on him.

#79 Sean Mahan | C/OG Roster: Select Player B. Adams W. Allen M. Alstott R. Barber A. Becht C. Bennett J. Bidwell J. Bolden D. Boston J. Bradley D. Brooks M. Bryant P. Buchanon D. Buenning D. Campbell A. Cash M. Clayton J. Clinkscale A. Davis A. Economos J. Galloway J. Garcia L. Gates C. Gessner J. Goldsberry B. Gradkowski E. Graham J. Haye K. Heinrich C. Hendricks E. Hill I. Hilliard C. Hovan J. Jenkins M. Jones D. Joseph B. Kelly C. Lucas L. McCown N. Mihlhauser R. Nece D. Nicholson C. Owens K. Pearson D. Penn J. Phillips M. Pittman J. Plummer S. Quarles S. Rice D. Roland B. Ruud C. Simms A. Smith G. Spires M. Stovall J. Terry J. Trueblood T. Tucker J. Wade K. Walker P. Warren C. Williams J. Winborn E. Wyms A. Zemaitis

Full Name: Sean Christopher Mahan

Born: May 28, 1980

Tulsa, OK

Height: 6-3

Weight: 301 lbs. Age: 26

Pos: OG

Experience: 4 years

College: Notre Dame

Drafted: Year:2003 Round:5 Pick:33, Buccaneers

I think it's hilarious that someone doesn't post in the entire thread and then cheap shots somebody with an opinion. The cold in Canada has made you bitter eh?

He's simply challenging your strong support of a guy based on 1 game. Its a pretty valid point. So what about that question - are we really going to bank on him at a crucial position based on what we've seen?

Bottom line, if we don't pick up a solid starter, I think its going to be a training camp battle amongst several guys that determines who we go with there.

Timmerman wouldn't be bad for 1 or two seasons @ a reasonable price until we can acquire/develop a younger replacement. I would say he's at least as good as Dock if not better. While we lose Dock's size, we gain someone who has more experience and maybe even the ability to pull. We had a 40 yr old Ray Brown playing guard for us a couple yrs ago when Thomas went down.

how about Luke Petitgout, He broke his leg like Thomas did last year and the Giants cut him to save money. He was a left tackle but also plated left gaurd and right tackle. He is only 30 years old still young enough to play a little while. He could be a good band aid until Kili Lefotu can take over. Kili is heading over to nfl europe this year.

Because Wade is an even better RT. If we resign Wade, he must play tackle at 6-8. Besides a few strength concerns, I have no problem with moving Jansen to guard. He would give us something of a nasty streak, which we have lacked on the left side in ages.

You think he is better because he filled in nicely for a couple of games. Jansen was playing injured most of the year and is one of the better OT's in the game.

LIst of all Guards that were available at the start of Free Agency

Andrews, Stacy RFA Bengals

Bell, Jacob RFA Titans

Berger, Joe ERFA Dolphins

Brown, Jason ERFA Ravens

Brown, Ruben UFA Bears

Cantu, Rolando ERFA Cardinals

Carlisle, Cooper UFA Broncos

Claxton, Ben ERFA Falcons

DeMulling, Rick UFA Lions

Diehl, David UFA Giants

Dielman, Kris UFA Chargers