Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Players suggest 'three strikes' rule at meeting

Mooka

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2776549

Players suggest 'three strikes' rule at meeting

ESPN.com news services

Recent off-field incidents involving NFL players have the league's own athletes suggesting a "three strikes, you're out" conduct policy, NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

"That surprised me," Upshaw said. "But there was a feeling in the room that the same guy can't be in the wrong place at the wrong time three or four times."

The suggestion came out of a four-hour meeting of the league conduct advisory committee, held in Indianapolis, the site of the NFL Scouting Combine. Further discussion of such a policy will be taken up by the league's competition committee at the NFL owners' meetings in March, Mortensen reported.

Tough rule...

I think anything that involves the authorities. Brawls at a club, DUI, etc.

What about the type of misdemeanor that doesn't even qualify for the national registry? Public urination, public drunkeness lewd behavior etc...

There are many things people can get in trouble for. It doesn't seem exactly equitable to me to levy one guy a strike for assualt and battery and another guy a strike for dancing in the street (as Dhani Jones was arrested for last offseason).

What about the type of misdemeanor that doesn't even qualify for the national registry? Public urination, public drunkeness lewd behavior etc...

There are many things people can get in trouble for. It doesn't seem exactly equitable to me to levy one guy a strike for assualt and battery and another guy a strike for dancing in the street (as Dhani Jones was arrested for last offseason).

Childish behavior is still childish behavior no matter how you slice it. As silly as it was.. Dhani was asked to stop and did not. Were the cops silly for arresting him? Sure, but, so was Dhani for dancing in the damned street! :laugh:

Sounds fair to me so far. I understand why players want this. If I were an NFL player and those around me kept getting in trouble, it would make me worry that others might see me in the same light. I wouldn't want to be associated with thugs like Pacass Jones, so why let them take you down with them?

But what about a trial that never makes it to court? Is a failed drug test a strike?

Well I guess it's difficult to justify what is a strike and whats not. I could see though failing a drug test or testing for P.E.D qualify as one. It'll be interesting to see if they follow through with it.

A trial that never makes it to court?

As for a failed drug test.. Yes, it should be a strike. Why would it not be? Or are you just curious to find out and I am just reading it wrong?

Okay, not a trial, but a case. If it's settled out of the courts, is that still a strike?

I just see a lot of grey area.

Okay, not a trial, but a case. If it's settled out of the courts, is that still a strike?

I just see a lot of grey area.

It is still in it's 'brain-storming' stage. Heck, it might not even be brought to life as it just may be an idea. I think it depends on what the 'case' entails. Are we talking gun charges or fighting? Or are we talking about being with the guy that shoots a gun?

Using the Bengals players as an example, each and everyone of their problems as of late would have been strikes. As for Pacman and his latest case.. I think that should be a strike also. If you can not stay out of trouble.. maybe you are hanging around the wrong crowd? You choose your friends. It all falls back on you because you are a supposed to be professional (on and off the job) as well as be a positive influence on not just kids but, people in general.

This quote says it all, from one of my mentors Jim Rohn:

“You must constantly ask yourself these questions: Who am I around? What are they doing to me? What have they got me reading? What have they got me saying? Where do they have me going? What do they have me thinking? And most important, what do they have me becoming? Then ask yourself the big question: Is that okay? Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change.”

I know it's still in the brainstorming stage, but the NFL, if they do this, has to be extremely careful when writing this.

Naturally.

Even if it lessened the talent level in the NFL.. I would still be all for this rule. It is time to start playing this game and continue creating a positive influence on people as opposed to being a thug who just happens to get paid millions. It speaks VOLUMES when the players are the ones trying to implement this rule.

How about any driving under the influence charge (not conviction), any weapons charge involving a gun, and any felony charge considered a strike?

It would cover all the drunk driving and battery stuff, while the dancing in the street misdemeanor stuff doesn't count.

I like where you're going, but I have a question...are felonies the same in all states? For example, if you did X in one state, would it still be a felony in another state?

Get what I'm saying? Problem with that is, of course, the same two crimes could be treated differently in different states.

“You must constantly ask yourself these questions: Who am I around? What are they doing to me? What have they got me reading? What have they got me saying? Where do they have me going? What do they have me thinking? And most important, what do they have me becoming? Then ask yourself the big question: Is that okay? Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change.”

that's an awesome quote right there.

i think, honestly, the best way to really get players to shape up is to hit them where they really notice it, their paycheck. 30 grand fines are paltry to a player making 5 million a year, make it on the 3rd strike, 40 % of your paycheck, then 70 then 100%, and give it to charity.

Archived