Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need a GM

gobigred

I don't know if someone already posted this but the latest with DD has got me disapointed we need a GM plain and simply. I love Joe Gibbs but someone has got to step in and make changes. I feel that the fans see it. the players see it but the mgmt does not. We can not continue to build this team through free agency and expect to win. this staff is like a bunch of kids in a toy store they play with a toy for a little while then puts it down and wants another one to play with, a GM would be like that parent who will say play with what you got, and no you can't have that other toy you want. We as fans need to speak up because they are spending our money when you look at it with poor results.

I got a feeling if this does not stop at some point we are going to see a lot more players gone.

QB- Brunell needs to redo his contract or be cut. He will need to take a considerable pay cut down to 2.5mil/year at a maximum. If we keep him Collins has to go b/c 1.5 million to a third string QB should never happen. Bramlett will become our third string and groom him for backup duties. Campbell is the guy.

RB- Portis and Betts are a good combo. I am a huge Portis fan but if we can move him after the injuries sustained last year for a rumored deal such as Portis for Vilma and the Jets #1 or Lions #1 and Bly, we would be foolish not to take the deal. RBs are the product of an offensive line.

WR- The only real question here is BL. Based on salary cap implications, he would need to stay here. The only other option would be redoing his contract and trading him, which he would never consent to.

A big possession WR may be a possibility in the late rounds of the draft.

TE- We need to extend Cooley. He is a Redskin guy.

Cut Fauria.

FB- Extend Sellers.

Oline- Get Dock back if possible but not at a bank breaking price. Pucillo can step in if need be but I think the Skins are going to surprise people and resign Dock. Draft for depth.

<sarcasm Status=ON runat="server">

Didn't GM just close a few factories and cut some workers? How is bringing in laid of UAW workers going to help the situation

</sarcasm>

Ah I actually do agree, but I think bringing it up every so many days is getting a bit old.

Well, while this topic has been quite literally flogged to death around here, I recognize that we have new posters here all the time to whom it's a fresh and very germane topic, so let's let this be the one for this week.

Meaning ... to all of those who HAVE been around and been through the ringer on this one over and over, please don't feel the need to come in and say so.

Let it be. :)

Not going to happen. Gibbs is to stubburn. He has to much power. Vinny cerrato is going to remain our guy. Gibbs will not hire a GM. He doesnt care he will not sign a Gm. You see how long it took for him to Sit Brunell and he was giving away somebody elses position. How long do you think it will take him to give away his own position and team president.

Well, while this topic has been quite literally flogged to death around here, I recognize that we have new posters here all the time to whom it's a fresh and very germane topic, so let's let this be the one for this week.

Meaning ... to all of those who HAVE been around and been through the ringer on this one over and over, please don't feel the need to come in and say so.

That's a very well formed point.

I stand corrected.

My Apologies gobigred.

What? We need a GM? Why? Is there something wrong with the existing front office? This is a real headscratcher!

I think we are quite alright as is, seeing that I either understand or agree with the majority of our moves.

With regards to losing important players, it's not so simple as just paying them whatever crazy numbers they want when you have the cap to consider. If a guy really wants to stay on the same team, he takes whatever they can afford to give him. If he loves the team but is also rather greedy, he should at least give the team time to match any offers. I think that has been the real problem with the ones who get away, they run off at the first signs of a big payout.

We don't need a GM. We just need competent management.
GM is the buzzword single-handed fixer on this board. Lack of a GM isn't the problem. The problem is our coaches say "We want this guy, this guy, and this guy", and then Ceratto makes the deals for them without taking into consideration what they're worth.

Not that I am pleased by Dockery's impending departure, but just imagine what we would all be saying if we were Ravens fans watching Adalius Thomas walking away... FA really is a crapshoot. When Smoot demanded a contract in keeping with the top 10 corners in the league, we told him to get it from someone else. While losing guys like Pierce and Ryan Clark does hurt, sometimes its a chance that has to be taken.

I offer my services to be GM. After all I do very well in EA's Head Coach video game.

Playing as just the owner/GM in Madden 05(meaning the 2004 season to start), that is simulating all the games, I have turned the Jets and Saints into Super Bowl winners, turned the Cardinals into 12-4 team with Green still at HC(although I fired everyone else and still can't win playoff games), and I even got the Texans to have a winning reccord (before the game fired me for being just $1mil in debt).

I'm thinking of taking on the Raiders next... that is if the real Redskins won't hire me.

It will happen when 2 things happen: Gibbs retires for the 2nd time and Vinny is dead.

Change that to Snyder is dead and I'll believe you.

It unltimatley comes down to Dan not wanting to get shuffled out of the loop by a "personell guy." If he hires a GM the GM won't let Dan make suggestions or be involved at all for that matter and that won't fly with the Danny. He's a great businessman, poor football man, we need a GM, but it won't happen while Heavy D still signing the checks.

much better to ignore problems....eh? that way we can think they don't exist?!!!!! and our happiness quotient will be that much more improved by focusing on just the feel good stuff!!!!

ok...sounds good to me......what's fresh and exciting this week? well.....hey...we're letting players go to create cap space! too bad we made the wrong decisions on the players...but we now have money free to jump on the same treadmill! things are lookin up!

What we really need is a change in the mindset in the front office when it comes to draft picks and young players v aging veterans, "Core Redskins" and other teams players.

Core Redskins is becoming code for if we don't have a hometown discount from you we'll overpay for OTRs Other Teams Rubbish

Hasn't this subject been beaten to death around here? There really is nothing more to say about it that hasn't already been said in 50 other threads.

you mean like just about every thread on this board through time? there is only so much that is new under the sun.

how about this......it's not so much that we need a GM as that we need a consistently applied personnel vision/strategy controlled by one decision-maker at the top (whomever that might be..a GM, DS, JG...etc.) to ensure longevity for the plan. given the realities of the CAP, current NFLPA/agent bargaining aggreements, our current roster, our current needs, our projected draft status over the next several years, projected CAP movements, projected FA availability, projected team needs, projected dead cap payoffs....you telling me this has all been covered in one succint statement that resolves the matter? that the matter has been settled for the Skins and that we all understand where the team is headed? that we all agree? that all the aspects of the problem have been covered? that we can look at moves being made today, fit them into said strategy, and understand what the implications are for next season?

I don't think so.

much better to ignore problems....eh? that way we can think they don't exist?!!!!! and our happiness quotient will be that much more improved by focusing on just the feel good stuff!!!!

ok...sounds good to me......what's fresh and exciting this week? well.....hey...we're letting players go to create cap space! too bad we made the wrong decisions on the players...but we now have money free to jump on the same treadmill! things are lookin up!

Time to come up with some new material, Al.

you mean like just about every thread on this board through time? there is only so much that is new under the sun.

how about this......it's not so much that we need a GM as that we need a consistently applied personnel vision/strategy controlled by one decision-maker at the top (whomever that might be..a GM, DS, JG...etc.) to ensure longevity for the plan. given the realities of the CAP, current NFLPA/agent bargaining aggreements, our current roster, our current needs, our projected draft status over the next several years, projected CAP movements, projected FA availability, projected team needs, projected dead cap payoffs....you telling me this has all been covered in one succint statement that resolves the matter? that the matter has been settled for the Skins and that we all understand where the team is headed? that we all agree? that all the aspects of the problem have been covered? that we can look at moves being made today, fit them into said strategy, and understand what the implications are for next season?

I don't think so.

Or at least be consistent. In such a rush to scratch this week's condescension itch you'll rub your back on either side of the fence? Guess asking the vets who have to do their canned potshot routine in EVERY similar thread to take a breather one time so the newer members could have a clean thread to voice their opinions was too much to expect.

Vinny cerrato is going to remain our guy.

Hate to tell you this, but VC isn't our guy. He's a glorified scout or a scout with fancy clothes. Don't worry about him one way or the other. Why frustrated with contract negotiations with Dockery? That's why they're called negotiations. Should we just pay him whatever he asks?

Time to come up with some new material, Al.

Or at least be consistent. In such a rush to scratch this week's condescension itch you'll rub your back on either side of the fence? Guess asking the vets who have to do their canned potshot routine in EVERY similar thread to take a breather one time so the newer members could have a clean thread to voice their opinions was too much to expect.

yawn. seems to me others were attempting to shut this thread down.

My point was that - contrary to received opinion - the whole matter of GM and personnel strategy has not been well/coherently covered at ES. you are free to impute whatever motives you chose...even if you are wrong (perish the thought!)

we all have opinions I guess!

........ the whole matter of GM and personnel strategy has not been well/coherently covered at ES........

Well ... except for the 8,312 dedicated or hijacked threads over the past few weeks/months/years, where posters who come down on every conceivable side of the issue--from your "THE FO SUCKS" routine to others "THE FO ROCKS"--in which we've gone around and around and around and around on the issue, breaking it down to quark levels, putting it back together again, and rinsing and repeating ad nauseam ... I suppose you're right.

Archived