Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's going to happen to Davis under Spurrier?

Thinking Skins

With all this talk about Spurrier's offense being so dependent on WR's I'm curious to see how our star and most important player will be used. If we sign a rookie QB, is the plan to still run first and pass second? or will we just be trying ot stretch the field vertically like the Rams? I love the thought of that, but I still want to be using Davis as he is a critical part of this offense.

Spurrier's not stupid, in my estimation. He values the run, but he uses the pass to set it up. Bottom line is, Davis may get 5 less carries a game. But he won't have to put up with the 8 and 9 men fronts we faced under Marty, so I'd look for his average to go up bigtime.

I'm not too informative on Florida, as I was always a Florida State fan, but I dont think that Taylor is the same kind of back as Davis. Doesnt he have more speed and less power than Davis. Also, do you think that Spurrier would want more of a finesse line that has the speed to run downfield as opposed to something that is massive like ours whose first priority is to run block?

------------------

Sometimes I wonder which name is better, Ben Gay or Blake Manner

With all of Davis's versatility-- his power, straight-line speed, receiving ability-- I think the extent of his role will be dictated on how well he can pass block with 50 receivers running all over the field. If Spurrier feels comfortable with him back there to pick up blitzes, I think you see his role virtually unchanged. Maybe some of his carries will be replaced by receptions, but for the most part he will have the chance to showcase his power running skills without the benefit of a lead blocker.

What I'd also expect is more plays getting the ball to Davis while he is moving forward near full speed, such as swing passes or moving him out into the slot or even lining him up off tackle as a wing. No more screens or dump off passes where his back faces the end zone at the point of the reception.

I posted this on another thread in reply to Buddha's Fun & Gun question.

It's from my cousin who's a major Gators fan. From his reply, we could see a Gibbs like system.

In regards to your football question, I have been watching the Gators for about 15 years now and I can tell you this, that there is not an big difference between the offenses you described. Spurrier, who was made official today, loves to throw to the wide receivers. He's not a huge tight end guy and I don't think he overdoes the running back out of the backfield. He does very much value the running game. He has said in the past that he knows you need to be successful running the ball in the NFL to have a chance. Most teams use the run to set up the pass and he does the opposite. I think you will see a different kind of coaching style from him in the NFL because he knows you can't get away with all that razzle dazzle crap in the big leagues. The key will be who he surrounds himself with. The staff will have a lot to do with it. I expect the Redskins to be very diversified and balanced in their attack. Look for them to grab a QB soon or draft one this year. Don't discount him pulling some of his guys outta Florida especially Grossman if he comes out after next year. As far as the running game goes for you guys I wouldn't be worried, keep in mind that the Gators program produced Emmitt Smith, Fred Taylor and few others. I just can't believe they canned Marty so quick.

------------------

Steal your face right off your head

I find the comments about Taylor and especilly Emmitt, a positive sign. It's quite possible that it was the presence of Stephen Davis and this O-Line that may have helped sell Spurrier on the Skins. (add comments about money here).

I have heard S.S. state that he's been curious as to how his style of offense may work in the NFL. Since it has been compared to the Rams offense, it's easy to see the answer to that. (course, that is a team with all the right talent too.) Spurrier has been called an innovater. I think it's in this capacity that we should look at the possible offense the Skins may play under his watch. In other words, a new and different way to feature a power running game and big time passing. Sort of like Gibbs.

I don't know that Spurrier uses the pass to set up the run as much as he uses formation to set up the run and the pass. He's a guy that will widen a defense and keep it from bunching up. Let me say this, if you ever see eight and nine in the box routinely against the Redskins next year it will mean we score a lot of points. Spurrier's offense doesn't seem inclined to allowing the defense to dictate when a play should be a run or should be a pass.

It's not a standard offense in the way many are in that it doesn't key off the defense. The defense keys off it. My understanding is that while Spurrier does enjoy the vision of a pass in the air being caught, he does have a pretty good ground game that can hurt you because of the way he spreads the field can create some advantages in the running game.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

One of the things I like about Davis is that he's not just a plodder. He has a lot of big play ability, due to his surprising explosion into a hole once he's made up his mind where to go, and his ability to turn a corner, if not actually juke.

So my feeling is that he might get less carries by design, but with the defense a little more spread due to our passing game, those carries should be higher quality.

My guess is that Davis gets more yds with less carries under Spurrier.

I agee with Terry S Davis will get more bang for the buck and we will have a fresher RB at season's end when the passing game in NFC East Cities will be a lil hindered.

The question will also be is KJ Carter going to stay as backup?

------------------

This isn't love, it's an

Obsession.

Redskins football

If we can get Davis through the line without being hit by D linemen as often that might help his durability considerably.

Concerning recievers...isn't Az Hakim going to be a FA this offseason ? With his speed and Spurriers offense I think he'd be an ideal compliment to Gardner.

[edited.gif by Yusuf06 on January 15, 2002.]

Hakim is available, but, to me, he'll be overbought and go for more than he's worth. I think we'd get more bang for our buck with Crowell and/or Glenn, both who will likely not see big money due to injury or being a jerk smile.gif. Hakim would seem to have the skills to fit in Spurrier's offense though.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Re Spurrier and Davis, I am GUESSING Spurrier looks forward to the challenge of crafting an offense that is effective with the hand he's been dealt. Remember, he was an NFL player and a USFL coach, so he's been around and knows the importance of the run, ball control and eating the clock.

I think when it's time to put the hammer down on people (meaning punding Davis incessantly), he will. But he will still get his downfield stuff in.

Archived