Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How about this?

Hawkskin

-We pick up Charles Grant (free agent from NO) to team up with Andre Carter at End

-then pick Clements up from the Bills

-then draft Branch at #6.

-We sign Dock

-If Archuleta is able to leave and save us some money

-move Springs to saftey along with Pierson and Vernon,

-make some cuts (Daniels, Wynn, Patten)as well as getting some other restrucures

It looks good to me What do you think? Is it realistic?

Not really possible. Clements will kill the cap. Grant and a DT in the draft and maybe someone like Hood of Manning JR would be more realistic. Maybe trade down and get Okoye and then a MLB in the draft in later rounds. I like Anderson, but I dont really see many good DT avaliable in FA this year.

Charles Grant and Branch - this is exactly what I would be looking to do if I were Vinny and company. Clements is an outstanding CB and he would be awesome here I think but his price tag is going to just be too astronomical. Concentrate on Grant and Branch first. I think that would make for a very good starting point.

Redskin One's first stop should be in the Big Easy...

These are the threads that I love. In December, so many are moaning about how Snyder always overspends and goes after big names and never has the patience to develop anything. By February, we all turn into the comic book version of Dan Snyder. This isn't about you, Hawksin. Yours is just the one more example of it. For the record, especially if there were no salary cap... that would be awesome.

How about this:

Get AA some training in the offseason. He's fast enough to cover he just needs training.

Keep Springs as #1 and Rogers as #2

Pick up Smoot to play nickel

Pick up Cory Redding at DT for a decent price

Draft Anderson at #6

Get Rocky ready to take Holdman's place and leave Marshall where he's at because we'll be solid up front.

Not really possible. Clements will kill the cap. Grant and a DT in the draft and maybe someone like Hood of Manning JR would be more realistic. Maybe trade down and get Okoye and then a MLB in the draft in later rounds. I like Anderson, but I dont really see many good DT avaliable in FA this year.

Cory Redding from the Lions is going to be a FA and is pretty good. 6'4'' 290, 47 tackles, 8 sacks and 2 FF last season, plus he's only 26. He's young, solid, and doesn't seem to be talked about much. Him and Anderson would be really good. Of course, the more ideal solution would have us landing a DT that is about 320 pounds, to consume blockers, but I think Redding would be the best option if we go with Anderson.

How about this:

Get AA some training in the offseason. He's fast enough to cover he just needs training.

Draft Anderson at #6

Get Rocky ready to take Holdman's place and leave Marshall where he's at because we'll be solid up front.

Yeah man, that sounds good. More importantly, it sounds realistic.

-We pick up Charles Grant (free agent from NO) to team up with Andre Carter at End

-then pick Clements up from the Bills

-then draft Branch at #6.

-We sign Dock

-If Archuleta is able to leave and save us some money

-move Springs to saftey along with Pierson and Vernon,

-make some cuts (Daniels, Wynn, Patten)as well as getting some other restrucures

It looks good to me What do you think? Is it realistic?

Sounds good to me. We just need to make sure to re-sign Wade and Pucillo also. Of course I wouldn't mind us getting Fletcher as well.

It all seems possible. We are in a position to have even more cap room than we did last year. Last year we signed 4 guys to 6 year, 30 million dollar deals. This year, Clements will probably be 6 years, 60 million (I'm overestimating to make the math easier) or two guys' contracts. That means we'd still have cap space to sign two more guys to 6 yr deals, or one guy, and several back-ups' contracts. Correct me if any of this is wrong, but I'm stating it to show that signing Clements is not only possible, but it will still allow us to sign other good players as well.

Im all for drafting a a pass rusher provided he gets to play. We can only hope to watch carlos grow and Springs to stay healthy.

As for Clements, that dude wants some outrageous money and I doubt he would be worth it. Priouleau (sp?) should be back as far as I know, that should help.

How about this:

Draft Anderson at #6

I love everything you said, except I think instead of a DT, we get a MLB. We need one more than we need a DT. Salvea and Golston should be good enough this year, that we will be ok. But we need to replace Marshall who looked VERY OLD playing MLB. He was a major weak part of the defense. Other than that, I love your scenarios, esp if Smoot is cut and we can get him back here.

Cory Redding from the Lions is going to be a FA and is pretty good. 6'4'' 290, 47 tackles, 8 sacks and 2 FF last season, plus he's only 26. He's young, solid, and doesn't seem to be talked about much. Him and Anderson would be really good. Of course, the more ideal solution would have us landing a DT that is about 320 pounds, to consume blockers, but I think Redding would be the best option if we go with Anderson.

Corey Redding has already been tagged.

I love everything you said, except I think instead of a DT, we get a MLB. We need one more than we need a DT. Salvea and Golston should be good enough this year, that we will be ok. But we need to replace Marshall who looked VERY OLD playing MLB. He was a major weak part of the defense. Other than that, I love your scenarios, esp if Smoot is cut and we can get him back here.

If we get a space-eater like Alan Branch in the draft, Marshall (a smaller MLB) will look much better because he'll be able to count on the DT getting double teamed, allowing him space to move. A small guy like Marshall taking on a 300-350 pound lineman is a loser every time. In my opinion DT is more important.

:2cents:

Damn that sucks... I was liking that idea.

Really, I'm sticking with what I've been feeling for a couple of weeks now. We need a DT. We need one now. I'm not sure Branch can come in and do it right away, but if he can, I'm all for drafting him. Like the above poster said, Marshall can play... but his strength is speed. His strength was wasted last year because we had no DT able to consume blockers. I like Golston, but we need better right now. I think Carter and Daniels will both play better if we are getting pressure up the middle too, especially Carter. Last year, our main problem was QB pressure, and I think everyone focused on our DE play, but in reality, it wasn't as bad as it seemed. All the QB had to do was step up in the pocket and he would be fine. Our DTs applied absolutely no pressure 90% of the time, and that's why our DEs couldn't do a thing.

Where did you find that info at?

All I can find is speculation and it sounds like Redding really doesn't want to play in Detroit anymore.

Here are the only articles I could find on the matter:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9992264

And here's an excerpt and link:

Don't expect James Hall -- or Cory Redding -- to go anywhere

One of the mysteries surrounding the Lions is how defensive end James Hall went from being one of the hardest working guys on the team to a locker room politician. But it happened and it's been very annoying to the new coaching staff and that's why Hall has been granted permission to seek a trade.

But don't expect him to go anywhere. There are still enough people in the organization who know what Hall is capable of and they don't want to give up on him.

Hall is an average defensive end who has above average drive and determination, but that's been undermined by the constant losing and crappy attitudes of many of his defensive line teammates. One of those attitudes, the one belonging to Marcus Bell, is expected to be jettisoned sooner rather than later.

One of Rod Marinelli's biggest challenges is to get some of these important veterans, like Hall, back on board. To think that a bunch of guys are going to be eager and excited about returning to a 3-13 team is ridiculous.

Which brings us to Cory Redding, who doesn't want to be hit with the franchise tag. No, really? Redding's agent is going to try every maneuver to stop the Lions from applying the tag because he wants his client to be involved in a bidding war in free agency. But it's not going to happen. Redding isn't going anywhere and if he isn't signed to a long-term contract by next Thursday, he'll be hit with the franchise tag.

No, he's not going to like it, but he doesn't have any choice. It's the same with Hall. Unless he can initiate some blockbuster deal that will greatly benefit the Lions, he's not going anywhere either. Along with the perpetually disgruntled Shaun Rogers, that means it's going to be a talented but grumpy group of defensive linemen in training camp and that's where Marinelli's coaching acumen has to come into focus.

He doesn't need them to be happy, he needs them to work hard and perform at a high level. If he can do that, the wins will come and then -- presto -- everybody's happy. But that's going to be a long, tough road and we'll find out if Marinelli is up to the task.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2007_02.html

Again lots of speculation but nothing solid.

I see where you're coming from but I'm just concerned about Big Joe Salave'a's health. He's been injured a lot. And with a solid DT to put in rotation with a top 10 DE in the draft, Marshall's job should be much easier and we can focus on finding another MLB next offseason.

Archived