Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Needs....

pgray1111

Okay, so there are a bunch of threads covering different facets of the redskins needs, but I figured I'd start one that covers all the bases, and hopefully you guys will chime in with your opinion. Plus, with the various front offices already starting to gear up, and cut players, tag players, etc. it's starting to become a very interesting time of year.

For starters, in my opinion, our biggest needs are at interior DL and MLB. I think both of these areas can be adressed quite easily, it just depends on which way you want to go. I personally feel that we NEED to draft a DL. Our DE's suffered last year because the middle of our line was so ineffective at doing ANYTHING. People say that Andre Carter was a bust, but when the offensive line knows that they don't have to put emphasis on the interior lineman, they can double team the pass rushers, and effectively stop all pressure from your defense. Any football fan knows that your team lives and dies by it's lines, offensive and defensive, and ours suffered greatly from the DLine. It effected our entire defense if you think about it.

So, I'd draft a D-lineman I'm not that well versed in the incoming rookies, but there has got to be a manbeast in there somewhere that we can pick up. Our #6 pick is very valuable in this sense, we can take a guy up there, or trade down and possibly pick up more picks, to take someone somewhere else, but regardless, we NEED to get a couple young guys in there to keep around for years to come. The team that I would model myself after, as far as this goes is the Jacksonville Jaguars. John Henderson and Marcus Stroud are a lethal combo when healthy, and if we had two men like that, we would be unstoppable with our other role players on defense. I think Golston is an up and comer, so if we got 1 or 2 more guys to plug up that area, we're good to go.

That brings us to MLB. LIke I said, we could solve this right away by using free agency, I personally would not go for London Flethcher. While he's a hell of a player, he has some years on him, and it's a matter of time before it starts to show. Instead, I would throw everything we have at Adallius Thomas. The guy is a freak of nature, and granted, MLB isn't his natural position, he's shown that he can play a version of it, and he's learned from one of the best. Alot of teams are going to gun for him, but if there was ever a time when it would be okay to overpay for a free agent, this is it. With him in the middle, washington and macintosh on the outside, I think that makes a pretty lethal combo. I don't dislike marshall or holdman, but I really feel like they've not shown anything to be true difference makers.

I think with just a few tweaks, our defense goes back to what it was a few years ago, when we were feared. I think our DB's are all in good shape. I personally think that archuleta COULD be a good fit, but I would like to see him go. I feel like he was an experiment that was mishandled, and it's too late to try to fix that. Vernon fox showed that he could play, and I would bring back Troy Vincent for some veteran leadership until he retires don't forget too, that we have Prioleau, who in my mind, would be the starter. I would try to draft a corner, and depending on what springs does. If he stays around, drafting would be our best option, but if we decide to cut him, I definitely think we should make a play for either clements or caldwell, and still draft a solid CB.

That's all for now, I think our offense, is in good shape, I would definitely go after one or two young receivers to compliment what we already have in there. Maybe even another tight end, because it seems like we keep going to the same retreads to compliment cooley, when I believe we could find a quality guy in the draft.

Let me know what you guys think.

good assessment.

but i think you mean asante samuel. not caldwell. caldwell is the patriots bug-eyed receiver. samuel is their CB that is hitting the market.

if we are able to get what we need for defense through FA and the first rounds of the draft, i wouldnt mind goin after some young talent on the offensive side of the ball, but we need to make sure we seal up the holes on the defensive side of the ball first.

thats sounds pretty good,but I would pay more attention and money to the CB,I'll move Springs to safety and I hope that will pan out.I'll find a way to get Arch outta here.I bring in Clements and woo him to sign and I think that we sould go get Smoot back to take Rogers place and move Rogers to nickel.Smoot will get cut by the Vikes this off season due,salary cap hit his contract demand and other reason.I think Smoot will come back w/o a big contract ,that Clement is demanding,plus Smoot and Rogers will fight for that starting job.aS for MLB ,I'll wouldn't sign a big name ,but a sound guy who could play or I'll draft a MLB with the 6 pick and go after Jared Allen from KC at DE.

this sounds pretty decent. I agree that our need are at DT and MLB, but we may not be able to go after top free agents. We could pick up a solid LB like Kawika Mitchell for much cheaper price then an old London Fletcher or an Adelius Thomas. Thomas may be better, but you have to look whether he is worth that much money. Also, I know he is turning 32 this year, but what about looking at Vonnie Holliday? If the dolphins don't re-sign him, we could get for a decently cheap price.

One need that no one seems to be addressing is more passionate, yet patient fans. It is sad how the Redskins 12th man has dwindled at FedEx and how fans have no patience to wait and allow things to get worked out and fixed. These are the changes that we, as fans, actually have say and control over. You have to trust that the FO and Gibbs will get the personnel situations right this year.

This was a fair assessment until the end, we don't need anymore recievers on the team, we are stand pat there. The Offense is fine we just need depth at line and if we keep Pucillo and Wade we should be OK.

But, Please no more WR's.

Now with the D-line, we need some youth on the outside. Carter is good, but was double teamed all last year. But, Daniels and Wynn are not getting younger and make alot of money, so we need some youth at DE. This should be a priority. Wynn could be moved to the middle of the line in his old age.

With DT, when Griff and Saleve'a are healthy they are good, but last year neither was healthy which made our run D horrible. This in turn put alot of run defense on Marshall who is back in pass coverage. We looked like a mess.

But, I would not count out Lemar Marshall, he will be playing somewhere on the Defense, if it's not in the middle he will be playing the WLB, maybe before they let Rocky Play. You know how GW loves experienced players.

I want to trade down and still get some line, but draft Patrick Willis.

I think our main needs are DL, MLB, and CB, like most everyone else. But I don't think Springs should be moved to safety, with PP and AA back there switching off we should be ok, esp if D-line is able to get more pressure, I think we need someone to play with Springs though and reduce Roger's playing time, let him learn some more, I don't think he should be starting, he is not there yet. Get at good CB and let Springs and Rogers switch off, to help keep Springs healthy.

One need that no one seems to be addressing is more passionate, yet patient fans. It is sad how the Redskins 12th man has dwindled at FedEx and how fans have no patience to wait and allow things to get worked out and fixed. These are the changes that we, as fans, actually have say and control over. You have to trust that the FO and Gibbs will get the personnel situations right this year.

Good point, but, what gives you any sense or idea the FO will do anything different than the last 10 years or so. I am a passionate redskin fan and have been my entire life, the FO has been dysfunctional since Danny Boy has taken over. I will say this, this is the longest we've had the same coach, same offense, and same defense since Danny bought the team. That being said, this offseason is important, if for only to gain the trust back in the FO and decisions which are made.

Good point, but, what gives you any sense or idea the FO will do anything different than the last 10 years or so. I am a passionate redskin fan and have been my entire life, the FO has been dysfunctional since Danny Boy has taken over. I will say this, this is the longest we've had the same coach, same offense, and same defense since Danny bought the team. That being said, this offseason is important, if for only to gain the trust back in the FO and decisions which are made.

FO was incompetent before Danny Boy came along.

Well maybe some folks are getting sick of spending money on a crappy franchise that hasn't made any significant push into the postseason for about what 15 years now...kinda gets tiring for some. I think they have been patient long enough with the lack of progress with this franchise since 1991.

The defensive side of the football in general is in need of an infusion of talent. We can't continue to depend on guys like Daniels, Wynn, Salavea, Holdman: guys who are the downside of their careers. We need some guys who are young/athletic, can rush the passer and provide the defense with some much needed speed.

Well maybe some folks are getting sick of spending money on a crappy franchise that hasn't made any significant push into the postseason for about what 15 years now...kinda gets tiring for some. I think they have been patient long enough with the lack of progress with this franchise since 1991.

Well I think You are just a A typical Bandwgon Fan and not a true fan of ths team. Sure I would love for this team to make the playoffs every year and win some more super bowls!! But I am a true fan and allways will be and I root for my team year in year out and hope they can make the playoffs the next year. Fans from other teams see how we act and talk bad about us behind our backs and rightfully so because you ignore the fact that their are lots of true fans of other teams that dream of their lousy team just being able to make the playoffs just 1 time!! So how about looking yourself in the mirror and start acting like a true redskin fan

Well I think You are just a A typical Bandwgon Fan and not a true fan of ths team. Sure I would love for this team to make the playoffs every year and win some more super bowls!! But I am a true fan and allways will be and I root for my team year in year out and hope they can make the playoffs the next year. Fans from other teams see how we act and talk bad about us behind our backs and rightfully so because you ignore the fact that their are lots of true fans of other teams that dream of their lousy team just being able to make the playoffs just 1 time!! So how about looking yourself in the mirror and start acting like a true redskin fan

How about you don't assume who is a true fan and who isn't. I've been watching this team for 30 years. A true fan cares enough to know when things aren't right with a franchise that was a model franchise for many years. Being a true fan is not only sticking with the team through thick and thin, but also being able to complain when after 15 years, the franchise has turned into the Arizona Cardinals of the East. As fans, we spend the money on tickets and merchandise. We should be able to voice our opinion.

I for one could care less what OTHER teams fans think about me or my fellow Redskin fans. We all hope to make the playoffs and go to the SB every year. I would hope all the other teams have that dream before the season begins. I don't know many teams or their fans that go into a season saying "our goal is to you know...have an 8-8 record and that will be good enough." I for one, want to go to the show every year. Is it realistic? Of course not. But in February, all 32 teams can hope that they are NEXT.

Please don't come in here and tell people that they aren't real fans. You don't know us from Adam. It's obvious that we are all passionate about our team, otherwise we wouldn't be in here talking about it and wasting time at work. So how about you look in the mirror and start acting like a true Redskin fan with your fellow brothers and sisters in here.

Archived