Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FREE agency (CB dept.) ~ ~ ~

kelly

Redskins | Team expected to target Clements

Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:58:54 -0800

Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports the Washington Redskins are expected to target Buffalo Bills CB Nate Clements in free agency, according to multiple league sources.

brokenamywalk0hl.gif

Good ol' Amy Lee :)

I will be happy with any CBs we pick up. I would prefer Samuel, but anything would be a substantial upgrade.

I agree that almost anything is an upgrade at this point.

I really wish the media would get over it though. Every free-agent is reported to be an interest of the Redskins. Hell, I bet it is a ploy by the agents to get other teams to jack up their price in order to compete with the Redskins.

I really think this is our best option at Cb. I understand the theory that we need dept, but by signing Clements, we get a starting corner back that already knows the coaches and the system. Springs will move to nickel, or Carlos, preferably Springs because hes getting old. This gives us three potential starters. I think with one of later round draft picks we try to find a gem. With Clements, and I think we draft Anderson, our defense will be coming back together. we will still need depth and mlb, but its one step closer.

I'd rather not break the bank at CB when our D-line is not getting pressure on anyone. No corner is going to look good if you dont get pressure.

couldn't have said it any better

We need DT an DE. Get a big space eater, and your LB's look a lot better. Get a DE so you have something resembling a pass rush, and your seconday looks like champs.

i hope we get london fletcher and dwight freeney while we are at it and pick up alan branch in the draft
Freeney does not fit in this defense at all, if you watch him on running plays he always blows right pass the running back and leaves a huge whole, that will not fly in Greg Williams scheme, his scheme is all about gap control.

Why would you sign a guy who will be 32 at the start of the season? You know he's going to want a 4 year deal - what's the chances he plays that long?

barrow

Er......Lamar Marshall is 31 and not a middle linebacker. His age is just as big of a issue as Fletchers is. Fletcher just plays like a MLB. However, neither guy is obviously going to be a long term fix.

Er......Lamar Marshall is 31 and not a middle linebacker. His age is just as big of a issue as Fletchers is. Fletcher just plays like a MLB. However, neither guy is obviously going to be a long term fix.

Very true. Their age difference is minimal, but Fletcher is a pure MLB. He is also still playing at a very high level and has never missed a single game in his career. I think he still has a few more years of high quality play left in him so if we could sign him to a reasonable 3 or 4 year deal that would be good. In the meantime we could look over the next year or two for a young MLB in the draft to get and coach up to take his place eventually.

Samuels is NOT better than Clements. Not only is he a shut down-corner, but he has NEVER missed a game in his career. He has started 16 games each season. That's worth the money. Springs had the injury bug in Seattle before he came here so it's no surprise he has been injured at his age.

Plus Clements knows Williams system!

Sign Clements

clements or samuels would be great to have but is the price going to be too high. we are paying the cap price for all of the "final piece of the puzzle" free agents we have signed in the past. lets get someone in the draft to put some heat on the qb and that will solve some of the cb problems. As it was last year the qbs had all day to sit back there and it doesn't matter who you are you cannot cover an nfl receiver forever. We need some stability for a while, which we haven't had for several years. The problem last year was as much attitude as ability. Notice when they were challenged by Gibbs and their manhood was questioned they played with attitude and shut down a pretty good offense.

I would rather draft a corner in the first round than break the bank on another super expensive FA. Why is our FO so stupid and lacking foresight? We may not be in cap hell, but we sure as hell are strapped for cash. Given Clements's demands, we probably won't be able to re-sign Dockery. Come next year, we'll probably have a tough time re-signing Taylor and Cooley. Further complicating the situation is that Clements isn't even the answer. He'll be 30 in two years, and we'll be looking for another replacement at corner. It's a never-ending downward spiral. We need to draft a pass rusher, and depth in the secondary and LB corps. Only then will we truly be set on defense.

I would rather draft a corner in the first round than break the bank on another super expensive FA. Why is our FO so stupid and lacking foresight? We may not be in cap hell' date=' but we sure as hell are strapped for cash. Given Clements's demands, we probably won't be able to re-sign Dockery. Come next year, we'll probably have a tough time re-signing Taylor and Cooley. Further complicating the situation is that Clements isn't even the answer. He'll be 30 in two years, and we'll be looking for another replacement at corner. It's a never-ending downward spiral. We need to draft a pass rusher, and depth in the secondary and LB corps. Only then will we truly be set on defense.[/quote']

We drafted one 2 years ago remember? But, shouldnt break the bank on a CB. the D-line is the most important part, I agree

We drafted one 2 years ago remember? But, shouldnt break the bank on a CB. the D-line is the most important part, I agree

We're allowed to draft more than one CB every couple of years or so. Philly drafted almost an entire secondary in one draft (Lito Sheppard, Michael Lewis, and Sheldon Brown), while still having Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor on the roster. If we trade down in the year's draft, we might be able to draft a decent corner or two, too.

How is that really going to help things though? When you dont have a pass rush and cant stop the run, I really dont care if you have 2 probowl CB's back there, guys will get open.

Thing is, if you DO have a pas rush, average guys can look very very good. So I say focus on the D-line, and everything else will improve greatly.

How is that really going to help things though? When you dont have a pass rush and cant stop the run, I really dont care if you have 2 probowl CB's back there, guys will get open.

Thing is, if you DO have a pas rush, average guys can look very very good. So I say focus on the D-line, and everything else will improve greatly.

I completely agree. A trade down in this year's draft could help us with respect to the pass rush and secondary.

Archived