Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbel goes down... a what if

Veretax

You just lost credibility with me there buddy...off the top off my head...Matt Schuab and Jeff Garcia are better backups than Brunell could ever be. So you lose on that one, we don't have the best back up QB in the league.
No way a guy with as little experience as Matt Schuab is a better backup than a vet like Mark Brunell. I would agree with you about Jeff Garcia, except that he is a free agent and will most likely be a starter somewhere next season.

You just lost credibility with me there buddy...off the top off my head...Matt Schuab and Jeff Garcia are better backups than Brunell could ever be. So you lose on that one, we don't have the best back up QB in the league.

Or Jake Plummer...until he gets moved from Denver...and their bitter 35 pts in one qtr attitude...that they will never be able to forget.

(owned, so hard...)

Denver has nothing on us...and never will.

And two season's ago - that was definitely a safety...in Denver...in the rain...and the ref's yet again...botched the call.

Ranting...blah blah blah...

Yeah Brunell played two more games than JC. JC still had more touchdowns! And the majority of Brunell's stats come after the game is out of reach, so the defense of the other team stops playing.

BUT all of these points and more were discussed over and over again when Brunell was still in there playing horribly. Gibbs pulled Brunell for a reason, he was done. If he was playing fine we would have never been benched.

How many games did Campbell start compared to Boonell? Take that into consideration there buddy.
I am. Brunell started 9 games and Campbell started 7, yet Brunell has about 40% more completions over 20 yards. Besides, Brunell's yards per attempt are significantly higher as well, and that stat is right regardless of the number of games played.

Yeah Brunell played two more games than JC. JC still had more touchdowns!
Yeah, Brunell played two more games than JC. JC still had more interceptions!

Again, don't get me wrong, I think Campbell is our starter because of his upside, but I still think Brunell is more than capable if called upon.

No way a guy with as little experience as Matt Schuab is a better backup than a vet like Mark Brunell. I would agree with you about Jeff Garcia, except that he is a free agent and will most likely be a starter somewhere next season.

Well, Schuab has been in that system for what....3 yrs now, can throw the ball deep, is accurate and had been clutch from the couple of games I have seen him play. Way better than Brunell at this point in Boonell's career in my opinion (as a backup of course).

First of all...If people here are trying to make a case that Brunell should start or is the better option at QB for the Redskins this next season,then your membership here should be revoked cause that's just STUPID!

#1)We never saw how Portis and Campbell would mesh together on the field at the same time!

#2)Campbell not only was pretty much a 2nd year rookie,but didn't even have any practice time with his WR's or much of the 1st team offense like Brunell has for the last 3 years...What's Brunell's excuse?

#3)We didn't win many games not because of his performance,but because our defense decided to take the year off...How many games do we win if our defense was in 04' form with Campbell at QB?

With Campbell at QB I'm sure we ran a lot of vanilla offensive set's to slowly mold him into the offense to the best of his ability,yet giving him a crash course of finding out the speed of the game...

I saw more in JC in 6 games then I saw in Brunell in 3 years...

Brunell plays scared not just for injury purposes but is afraid to get yanked from the game and we all know it!!He throws the ball away making many think it was a smart Veteran decision when we all know,that he more likely would have thrown a dying ball in the air only to see it snagged by the opposing team...

Sad thing is..I don't who I should blame for this rediculous loyalty...Cause If I sucked as bad as brunell played,I would have pulled my ass out of the game...

Not just for the team and the respect of the players,but to save myself the embarrassment later...

If we keep Brunell on our roster for this next season with his Salary...I won't be able to wonder what it will take for Brunell to get his second chance or second wind from gibbs to limp back to the Starting lineup...

I have total respect for Gibbs right now!If that happens, I will have to reavaluate what kind of loyalty we got going on in the lockerroom...

But Remember...!"We haven't seen the last of Mark"

First of all...If people here are trying to make a case that Brunell should start or is the better option at QB for the Redskins this next season,then your membership here should be revoked cause that's just STUPID!

#1)We never saw how Portis and Campbell would mesh together on the field at the same time!

#2)Campbell not only was pretty much a 2nd year rookie,but didn't even have any practice time with his WR's or much of the 1st team offense like Brunell has for the last 3 years...What's Brunell's excuse?

#3)We didn't win many games not because of his performance,but because our defense decided to take the year off...How many games do we win if our defense was in 04' form with Campbell at QB?

With Campbell at QB I'm sure we ran a lot of vanilla offensive set's to slowly mold him into the offense to the best of his ability,yet giving him a crash course of finding out the speed of the game...

Brunell plays scared not just for injury purposes but is afraid to get yanked from the game and we all know it!!He throws the ball away making many think it was a smart Veteran decision when we all know,that he more likely would have thrown a dying ball in the air only to see it snagged by the opposing team...

Sad thing is..I don't who I should blame for this rediculous loyalty...Cause If I sucked as bad as brunell played,I would have pulled my ass out of the game...

Not just for the team and the respect of the players,but to save myself the embarrassment later...

If we keep Brunell on our roster for this next season with his Salary...I won't be able to wonder what it will take for Brunell to get his second chance or second wind from gibbs to limp back to the Starting lineup...

I have total respect for Gibbs right now!If that happens, I will have to reavaluate what kind of loyalty we got going on in the lockerroom...

But Remember...!"We haven't seen the last of Mark"

Easy there buddy, we are just arguing as to why we are still keeping Boonell as a backup and keep paying him starters money...heck does anyone know if he makes more money than Campbell?

This blatant misrepresentation tells me all I need to know about your post. Brunell's 2005 season was easily the best year of any Redskins QB since Brad Johnson made the Pro-Bowl in 1999. Furthermore, Brunell beat Dallas 3 out of 5 tries, swept Dallas, and swept Philly. Who was the last Redskins QB that could say that?

I understand that it is Campbell's time, but to say you didn't see anything out of Mark Brunell the past three years is nuts. It shows how people can be blinded by their prejudice.

I think it tells us that in order to make the playoffs you must have stats equal to or greater than Tom Brady's?

Yeah......that'll be my answer.

Yeah, all 3 helped their teams make the playoffs, but saying that Brunell played better than Campbell (because of better stats) is like saying that Huard and Romo sits to pee played better than Brady because of their stats. Ridiculous!

I would kick Collins out the door and bring in Huard from KC. He has to know the system and look what he did for KC when he came in. 11td 1 int .. 7.70 yards per attempt .. 148/244 60.7% for 1878 yards. 23 passes of 20+ yards and 5 for 40+ yards and a 98.0 passer rating in 8 games started. He would be an awesome backup.

With Campbell and Brunell on the roster it makes the most sense to draft late or pick up as a UDFA a young quarterback to groom as the #2. That is if Brunell is 100%. If his rehab lingers than you have to keep a veteran insurance policy for 2007.

But having a guy like Collins around for $1M plus as a #3 quarterback is an expensive luxury to have to afford year after year.

If Saunders can't teach Campbell his system without having Collins on board then they should retire Collins and make him an assistant coach.

I thought Campbell looked good for a QB who is still wet behind the ears, but to suggest that Brunell couldn't do as well is absurd.

Yeah, I loved the way Brunell caught up to the opposing teams to make it a close game. You just felt deep inside that you could trust him to maybe win them for you. :rolleyes:

This blatant misrepresentation tells me all I need to know about your post. Brunell's 2005 season was easily the best year of any Redskins QB since Brad Johnson made the Pro-Bowl in 1999. Furthermore, Brunell beat Dallas 3 out of 5 tries, swept Dallas, and swept Philly. Who was the last Redskins QB that could say that?

I understand that it is Campbell's time, but to say you didn't see anything out of Mark Brunell the past three years is nuts. It shows how people can be blinded by their prejudice.

I won't lie, Brunell did great with what he had in 05, but in 06 he looked piss-poor with more weapons than he had the previous year.

You my friend, are the last Brunell supporter left in these parts. :)

Brunell was injured in 2004 and 2006. Whatever he is when healthy, at 36 he obviously is at the stage where he can't stay healthy. At least healthy enough to be a 16 game starter. I think he is a very good backup candidate, if overpriced :D

but Brunell didn't ask for the money the Redskins merely offered it to him :laugh:

remember when Brunell came here and admitted he would have signed for far less to come here to be the starter after being benched in JAX?

ole Dan Snyder and Co. going around paying $10 for a $2 bus ride again :laugh:

i really wish jason would put a knee brace on his front leg like usc makes all their qb's do. he has very long legs and when he stands tall in the pocket that front leg is very exposed for d linemen rolling on his leg. think back to giants game 2005 dec 24 when brunell was hit illegally by chase blackburn. he was hurt but he didnt miss any games cause of that knee brace on his front leg. peyton manning also wears one. i know people might think he might be slowed down a bit, but it wouldnt be much and he isnt a flat out runner he runs more at the last second. just my 2 cents.

OR:

as a rookie QB, Campbell had some trouble getting used to the game. And he was on his third offensive system in three years. And he never had the chemistry with his WRs that most QBs do because he had never really thrown with either of them. And now he has an offseason to work on his mechanics and learn that playbook better and get the chemistry with the WRs.

6th in 6 years actually. Jason Campbell has intangibles. He makes a mistake, he bounces back. he's cool and collected under pressure. As a rookie with a trashy defense, he at least kept us in games. Besides, you can't blame him for bad play calling in some games and Brandon Lloyd dropping a pass that would have kept a drive going. If we get our play calling figured out, Brandon lloyd becomes a viable option, our Defense decides to make a tackle here or there. We could be pretty competitive. Of course those are a lot of IFS, but to say he is just average with your only data being that he played the second half of the season with a terrible defense and that he lost games, is pretty silly. Yes he has throwing motion problems, and he does have issues with his drops, but he will imporove. People need to give the kid a fullseason before they say anything negative.l

Archived