Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbel goes down... a what if

Veretax

The only thing JC did consistently was bounce balls in front of receivers on deep out patterns.

He's got a long way to go.

You mean the very same deep out patterns that old noodle arm refused to even attempt to throw?

I find it amazing that there are people that still feel Mark Brunell is a capable quarterback after 3 years of ineptitude with a 6 or 7 game stretch of good football (early 05) thrown in there.

Once again for those not paying attention. Jason Campbell was mismanaged by this coaching staff. He was not being prepared to take over the job in 06. He got little to no work with the first unit in training camp. He got no work with the first unit in the preseason. He was running scout team during the season. He wasn't even allowed to get some valuable reps in garbage time of blowouts. Good OLD Mark was able to pad his stats (that some love to point to as if they mean anything) after games were decided.

Jason Campbell's willingness to challenge defenses is what opened things up in the second half of the season. He made defenses pay just enough that they had to respect him and thus the running game exploded.

If we keep our QB situation as is, Brunell can get us through a game if JC goes down. But if JC goes out for any significant amount of time, our passing game will disapear and we'll have to ride the legs of Clinton Portis again like we did in 2005 to have any hope for a post season birth.

I think that it's no coincidence that the running game started to explode once Jason was starting. Let me throw some stats.

The 9 games Brunnell started:

Portis and Betts ran for a combined 889 rushing yards.

The 7 games Campbell started:

Portis (out for the season)

Betts ran for a total of 788 rushing yards.

Now granted the offense wasn't in sync early in the year and started to pick it up towards the end. Just imagine though a healthy Portis with Betts making a nice 1-2 punch and Jason starting from the beginning of the season. The potential for a solid offense is there. I just don't see why people don't want to give Jason a chance.

You mean the very same deep out patterns that old noodle arm refused to even attempt to throw?

I find it amazing that there are people that still feel Mark Brunell is a capable quarterback after 3 years of ineptitude with a 6 or 7 game stretch of good football (early 05) thrown in there.

Once again for those not paying attention. Jason Campbell was mismanaged by this coaching staff. He was not being prepared to take over the job in 06. He got little to no work with the first unit in training camp. He got no work with the first unit in the preseason. He was running scout team during the season. He wasn't even allowed to get some valuable reps in garbage time of blowouts. Good OLD Mark was able to pad his stats (that some love to point to as if they mean anything) after games were decided.

Jason Campbell's willingness to challenge defenses is what opened things up in the second half of the season. He made defenses pay just enough that they had to respect him and thus the running game exploded.

If we keep our QB situation as is, Brunell can get us through a game if JC goes down. But if JC goes out for any significant amount of time, our passing game will disapear and we'll have to ride the legs of Clinton Portis again like we did in 2005 to have any hope for a post season birth.

:applause: I have to agree with this. Pisses me off when people downplay Campbells FIRST 7 CAREER starts. Gotta give him time. Great post.

I think that it's no coincidence that the running game started to explode once Jason was starting. Let me throw some stats.

The 9 games Brunnell started:

Portis and Betts ran for a combined 889 rushing yards.

The 7 games Campbell started:

Portis (out for the season)

Betts ran for a total of 788 rushing yards.

Now granted the offense wasn't in sync early in the year and started to pick it up towards the end. Just imagine though a healthy Portis with Betts making a nice 1-2 punch and Jason starting from the beginning of the season. The potential for a solid offense is there. I just don't see why people don't want to give Jason a chance.

:applause: Good stats. Every Brunell lover has said that JC was aided by a better running game, when in actuality, he made the running game better by throwing the ball downfield more, escaping pressure and scrambling.

I can't stand it when people hate on brunell. Where were all you guys last season when they went 6-0 to make it to the second round of the playoffs.... On the bandwagon, then we lose a few games, at no fault to brunell, and everyones doggin him again. Lay off of him, he can win as many games for us as campbell. That's one of the positions the skins are ok at depth wise. Next year it will be another story, but for now I'm glad we've got an able, smart, experienced QB #2

I can't stand it when people hate on brunell. Where were all you guys last season when they went 6-0 to make it to the second round of the playoffs.... On the bandwagon, then we lose a few games, at no fault to brunell, and everyones doggin him again. Lay off of him, he can win as many games for us as campbell. That's one of the positions the skins are ok at depth wise. Next year it will be another story, but for now I'm glad we've got an able, smart, experienced QB #2

that was all the defense and the running game

It IS funny how people can turn on a guy isn't it. Just stay tuned the same people will be coming down on Campbell. Make you a list of people if you have to but I can gaurantee you before the 6th game of next season your list of people will be saying the same things about Campbell.

:dallasuck I am glad to have Brunell as a back-up. He has the experience and understands the offence. We need stability at all positions particulary at quarterback. Brunell didn't loose all those games last year. Look at how everyone felt about Betts at the end of last season. Everyone thought that he was walking on water for the way he was playing. (I am not saying that he didn't play well because he did). BUT he did play at the beginning of the season too when Portis was down the the team was loosing during that time. We couldn't wait for Portis to return. When Portis did return, the team began winning a few games. The point is, both running backs are very good, which provides us with depth and stability. Campbell and Burnell are good at what they do too - (Campbell will improve even more with playing time). I like that things are quiet and that Jansen signed a new contract to help the team. Others need to follow suit. I would like to see a General Manager, but I feel that Gibbs will probably step down as coach after this season and hopefully will become the GM. We need him!

What if, What if.... Just about every team in the NFL is going to be pretty ****ed if their starting QB goes down. No, not every team, but it's basically a worst case scenario for every team (except maybe the Falcons). It's not something worth dwelling on because it could happen to any team at any time. What happens if Campbell goes down? I guess Brunell goes in. That would suck - but - there's really not much we can do about it unless we can sign a better backup.

So, let's just not think about it too much, OK?

Archived