Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2000 Redskins - Greatest CB Line-up In NFL History?

radagast5

The "fastest 40 time ever" thread made me realize something...

In 2000, the Redskins had what I believe is hands-down the greatest assembly of cornerbacks on one time in the history of pro football:

Darrell Green

Deion Sanders

Champ Bailey

The first two are 100% mortal locks for first-ballot trips to Canton. Bailey, if he holds to form (six pro bowls in seven years) for even another three years, is going to join them.

Of course, DG and Deion were nearing the end of their respective careers, and Bailey was just a kid, nonetheless, can anyone name another NFL team that had three Hall of Fame cornerbacks on their roster at the same time?

Let's not shortchange the 06 secondary. They were right up there too.

I'm not sure if by 06 you mean this past year, or the playoff year. But the year we made the playoffs and Gibb's first year, we had some nice talent. in 04, we had smoot, Springs, Taylor, Clark. Niice setup. Then we got Rogers, a more physical version of Smoot. Imagine if we brought Smoot back this offseason. :DD

It was Roland's one great year here - teams avoided him and threw to Peion instead. Peion's turf toe was quite evident, and when Darrell came in for him, he was better at 38 than Peion was at 33.

The D was ranked #2 that year I think. Though he gets a bad rap because he refused to play for Schothead the next year, Mark Carrier was actually a bigger addition to the secondary than Peion. Prior to him we had Sam Shade back there, who was like Archuleta/Roy Williams - great in run support but awful in pass coverage. Marco Coleman, despite his advancing years, had a career year with double digit sacks.

Our offense fell apart when Johnson and Westborken got injured (no surprise there, BTW).

Having Lemar Parrish, Joe Lavendar, and Ken Houston together in their primes was the best secondary we ever had.

The "fastest 40 time ever" thread made me realize something...

In 2000, the Redskins had what I believe is hands-down the greatest assembly of cornerbacks on one time in the history of pro football:

Darrell Green

Deion Sanders

Champ Bailey

The first two are 100% mortal locks for first-ballot trips to Canton. Bailey, if he holds to form (six pro bowls in seven years) for even another three years, is going to join them.

Of course, DG and Deion were nearing the end of their respective careers, and Bailey was just a kid, nonetheless, can anyone name another NFL team that had three Hall of Fame cornerbacks on their roster at the same time?

The names were good, the product on the field not so good.

How about now? I would say McAlister and Rolle of Baltimore are probably the best tandum now.

As great as the ravens are, I've heard bad thigns about Rolle. From what I've heard, he gets the benefit of the doubt by working alongside McAalister and Reed. Same thing with Demps. He rocked there, and blew in NY.

Archived