Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dockery in FA

TLusby

I believe we will be O.K. and will not have to break the bank to resign Dockery. It appears that there are quite a bit of decent OL that he will have to compete with in FA:

Jordan Black, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs

Dwayne Carswell, UFA, Denver Broncos

Derrick Dockery, UFA, Washington Redskins

Nat Dorsey, RFA, Cleveland Browns

Chris Gray, UFA, Seattle Seahawks

Norm Katnik, RFA, New York Jets

Ryan Lilja, RFA, Indianapolis Colts

Sean Locklear, RFA, Seattle Seahawks

Roman Oben, UFA, San Diego Chargers

Brian Rimpf, RFA, Baltimore Ravens

Eric Steinbach, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals

Todd Steussie, UFA, St. Louis Rams

Floyd Womack, UFA, Seattle Seahawks

Kris Dielman, UFA, San Diego

Damion McIntosh, UFA, Miami Dolphins

Scout.com has an insider section that someone has stated that the team and Dockery are far apart. Who knows? We all know that if our Redskin players hit FA; we typically do not sign them.

i really hope we resign him but something tells me he is gone. maybe gibbs wants a faster guard for that counter pull thing he used to run back in the day that made them so successful. its a known fact that dockery is slooooooow. but who knows.

DING DING DING, we have a winner...I love Dock, but Al Saunders needs speeeeeed at the line to run his stupid gimick offense. Dock is the worst puller on the team, he is clumsy. I say re-sign him and tell Saunders to suck one.

DING DING DING, we have a winner...I love Dock, but Al Saunders needs speeeeeed at the line to run his stupid gimick offense. Dock is the worst puller on the team, he is clumsy. I say re-sign him and tell Saunders to suck one.

i dont think the gibbs counter was a gimmick play, it worked wonders for the skins back in the day, they might be trying to do more of that type stuff that just plain old plow plow plow. remember, a fast big guy could do both plow downhill running and the pull. dock is very one dimensional in that aspect.

I thought coaches liked Dockery.... In either case "pork chop" Womack is the best replacement. Also, Todd Steussie and Jordan Black should be good upgrades as well.

I would prefer to keep Dockery, but if we have to replace him... Eric Steinbach would be the best replacement IMO.

I believe we will be O.K. and will not have to break the bank to resign Dockery. It appears that there are quite a bit of decent OL that he will have to compete with in FA:

Jordan Black, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs

Dwayne Carswell, UFA, Denver Broncos

Derrick Dockery, UFA, Washington Redskins

Nat Dorsey, RFA, Cleveland Browns

Chris Gray, UFA, Seattle Seahawks

Norm Katnik, RFA, New York Jets

Ryan Lilja, RFA, Indianapolis Colts

Sean Locklear, RFA, Seattle Seahawks

Roman Oben, UFA, San Diego Chargers

Brian Rimpf, RFA, Baltimore Ravens

Eric Steinbach, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals

Todd Steussie, UFA, St. Louis Rams

Floyd Womack, UFA, Seattle Seahawks

Kris Dielman, UFA, San Diego

Damion McIntosh, UFA, Miami Dolphins

Scout.com has an insider section that someone has stated that the team and Dockery are far apart. Who knows? We all know that if our Redskin players hit FA; we typically do not sign them.

Where is the list of decent G's that he has to compete with? He's the 2nd or 3rd best UFA G available on this list which enhances his value and not lessens it. There are 64 starting G's in this league which means plenty of opportunity.

Dock needs to understand that he benefits greatly by playing next to an all-pro tackle. he also gets WAY too many penalties. that is why they are far apart right now, he has a self-inflated value. Smauels has said he really wants Dock back, which gives him leverage, and would be willing to restructure to accomodate. the only problem with this is that Samuels contract is already so ridiculous that any changes would just add to its excess. we will pretty much be forced to have a 47 year old LT counting the same # in millions against the cap. Dock needs to recognize how great a situation this is for him and come down to a more reasonable #.IMO.

WE all (most of us) want Dockery to remain a Redskin, but this is a business. Money TALKS. He's still a young guy, so he'll probably be looking to get PAID. Unlike Ladell, who took a decent amount of $$$ to remain on the team. Who knows. Maybe DOCK just want to see what's out there. With that being said. I hope we offer him a decent amount of $$$ and don't break the bank for one player, like we've been known to do. CONTINUITY IS KEY!!!

WE all (most of us) want Dockery to remain a Redskin, but this is a business. Money TALKS. He's still a young guy, so he'll probably be looking to get PAID. Unlike Ladell, who took a decent amount of $$$ to remain on the team. Who knows. Maybe DOCK just want to see what's out there. With that being said. I hope we offer him a decent amount of $$$ and don't break the bank for one player, like we've been known to do. CONTINUITY IS KEY!!!

Money does talk, and up until this point the Redskins money is always more interested in talking to people outside the organization. Hopefully they will learn to value their own players and ditch the grass is always greener attitude.

Losing Dockery would be in the same ballpark as losing Ryan Clark, Antonio Pierce, Fred Smoot and so on.

i dont think the gibbs counter was a gimmick play, it worked wonders for the skins back in the day, they might be trying to do more of that type stuff that just plain old plow plow plow. remember, a fast big guy could do both plow downhill running and the pull. dock is very one dimensional in that aspect.

No, Gibbs offense isn't gimmicky. But Gibbs offense likes big linemen. I realize he also uses the counter gap pull, but its different than the stretch play pulling in Saunders' scheme.

Dock needs to understand that he benefits greatly by playing next to an all-pro tackle. he also gets WAY too many penalties. that is why they are far apart right now, he has a self-inflated value. Smauels has said he really wants Dock back, which gives him leverage, and would be willing to restructure to accomodate. the only problem with this is that Samuels contract is already so ridiculous that any changes would just add to its excess. we will pretty much be forced to have a 47 year old LT counting the same # in millions against the cap. Dock needs to recognize how great a situation this is for him and come down to a more reasonable #.IMO.

All good points but most guys look forward to free agency. Whether money is more important or football success with the signing that took place last off season w/ big Steve Hutchinson, at this point money talks. To go from a superbowl appearance season to a team w/ a new head coach and QB issues the money was the only thing that mattered...granted it was $49 million.

Let's hope Dock understands the situation, realizes his abilities and inabilities, and does what's best for him and his family.

Money does talk, and up until this point the Redskins money is always more interested in talking to people outside the organization. Hopefully they will learn to value their own players and ditch the grass is always greener attitude.

Losing Dockery would be in the same ballpark as losing Ryan Clark, Antonio Pierce, Fred Smoot and so on.

TRUE. But if we can find a better talent that will UPGRADE our team, I have no problem with that. (JUST DON'T BREAK THE BANK!!! I would like to see us keep our own players, but that's hardly been our style. CHEMISTRY is hard to develop if we keep bringing in outsiders to our organization. BOTTOM LINE: I just want the best team on the field that will WIN games for us.

I have a feeling Dockery is asking for a ton of money anywhere from the 4m-5m a year range. I'm not sure if he's worth that.

I'm still waiting for the complete specifics on the OG Vince Manuwai's deal from the Jaguars to gauge a good range for what Dockery should be offered. He is a very similiar player to Dockery, but a little bit better imo. I do know that Manuwai's base salary is 3 million a year @ 5 years from nflpa.org. So I'm just gonna guestimate his signing bonus at around 7.5 million and you've got a deal worth over 4 milllion a year. So is Dockery worth 4-5 million a year? Maybe, but the team might let Dockery go and use the money on Nate Clements.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out....

we aren't running Saunders' poodle offense anymore

TRUE. But if we can find a better talent that will UPGRADE our team, I have no problem with that. (JUST DON'T BREAK THE BANK!!! I would like to see us keep our own players, but that's hardly been our style. CHEMISTRY is hard to develop if we keep bringing in outsiders to our organization. BOTTOM LINE: I just want the best team on the field that will WIN games for us.

The question is, what is an upgrade? Is being an athletic guard enough to let go of a previous 3rd round pick that has worked hard and actually improved while being with you. I think locking up Dockery will say a lot to the team and about the organization regardless of who they get to fill his spot.

Just a thought.

I'm sure the Redskins always have the best of intentions in free agency. I'm sure they thought that Adam Archuleta would be an improvement over Ryan Clark. I bought into that line of thinking last year, but not anymore.

If something is performing at a high level as is, there's no need to tinker with it. Our line was top notch with Dockery in the lineup. Better to keep that rolling than uproot it and put your confidence into an unknown element.

Archived